Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-12-2016, 09:47 PM   #1281
naloth

Default Re: [Supers] GURPS Unofficial Handbook to the Marvel Universe, Reboot Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
Adam Warlock and Thanos each having an Infinity Gem (Soul and undecided, possibly Reality or Power);
I'm curious to see how you reinvent these characters.

Quote:
Watcher meeting Galactus; the Silver Surfer vs Doctor Doom (you know it'll happen eventually in-universe, even if not in Year One);
I can imagine having a "cosmic" campaign, but I don't think it sets well with most of the characters you've done here. It's a different sandbox.

Quote:
A version of Quasar (actually considering Phyla-Vell as Mar-Vell's sister) with the power bands;
I'm actually a fan of Wendell, though he's almost a parody of a Green Lantern (similar powers but in yellow; control based on going with the flow and relaxing rather than using willpower to force reality). Mar-Vell was actually a more original character.

Quote:
Drax being "built" to kill Thanos;
It seems like that would require quite a backstory for both characters to be written. Besides, Drax in that role showed up to show how badass Thanos was.

Quote:
Doctor Strange being Sorcerer Supreme of Earth, which seems to have its own niche in the cosmic scale;
Early on in his career he seemed to be dependent on cosmic entities rather than having personal energies. These days he seems to able to go toe to toe with those same entities (which is semi-justified, given what he's done to acquire power). If you put him early on, he's going to have to rely on trickery and diplomacy lot more than force.

Quote:
Mostly, it's the lower-scale cases that I need to hammer out, not the upper tiers.
That's where I would guess most people would want to run Marvel type games.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 04:27 PM   #1282
Otaku

Default Re: [Supers] GURPS Unofficial Handbook to the Marvel Universe, Reboot Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by starslayer View Post
Yea, this is more a matter of...
*shrugs* Like I said, some of this seems like it is forcing things into something a bit easier for GURPS to handle... but if it makes it easier and Phantasm doesn't mind, then okay. (not quoted entirely just to save space - I get your point)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
Mostly, it's the lower-scale cases that I need to hammer out, not the upper tiers.

Clear as mud?
Again, just quoted the most relevant bit because I wanted to save space; if I seem to be ignoring something, just tell me (and I'll probably not do such partial quoting again for a while XD).

It is clear, however at the same time I think I am not being clear:

We cover the upper tiers because we are world building. Some people are all about the more cosmic aspects of the Marvel Universe. Not me, but some people are. XD

I suppose if you really want to shortcut it, just make a note that "X is the highest tier of Cosmic being used for this project, but if you want to include all of the most powerful beings in a more active role, you should really use Y." Maybe that is for the best as this is dragging on and even if I were sure I was right (and I'm not sure) then it would be better to move on and come back to it after I did some research (and I'm probably not so... yeah >.>).

Quote:
Originally Posted by naloth View Post
I'm actually a fan of Wendell, though he's almost a parody of a Green Lantern (similar powers but in yellow; control based on going with the flow and relaxing rather than using willpower to force reality). Mar-Vell was actually a more original character.
Wendell was Quasar when I first started paying serious attention to Marvel Comics. That alone hardly means he is the best choice. Finding out after all this time he's spoofing Green Lantern, specifically it looks like the Hal Jordan one? Sign me up. ;)
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 07:29 PM   #1283
Fred Brackin

[QUOTE=Otaku;2004816
Wendell was Quasar when I first started paying serious attention to Marvel Comics. That alone hardly means he is the best choice. Finding out after all this time he's spoofing Green Lantern, specifically it looks like the Hal Jordan one? Sign me up. ;)[/QUOTE]

Al characters with "solid energy" powers descend from the Silver Age Green Lanterns. From the few reprints I've seen of the Golden age version his powers weren't quite so clearly defined.

Anyway, the "official" Hal Jordan/Green Lantern homage is Dr Spectrum from the Squadron Sinister/ Supreme.

Mar-Vell is "original" because his powers and origins have been switched around so many times the result is at least a unique mixture. In his "Rick Jones/Negative Zone" period Mar-Vell was paying clear homage to Captain Marvel/Billy Batson.
Old 05-13-2016, 09:01 PM   #1284
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Mar-Vell is "original" because his powers and origins have been switched around so many times the result is at least a unique mixture. In his "Rick Jones/Negative Zone" period Mar-Vell was paying clear homage to Captain Marvel/Billy Batson.
I thought it was to Thor/Donald Blake
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 10:47 PM   #1285
naloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
Wendell was Quasar when I first started paying serious attention to Marvel Comics. That alone hardly means he is the best choice. Finding out after all this time he's spoofing Green Lantern, specifically it looks like the Hal Jordan one? Sign me up. ;)
In his origin story they brought in test pilots to try the quantum bands, but they all burned up because they were too aggressive and "fought" the power. Wendell was just the opposite. He was full of self doubt and fear of power.

It's hard to believe they weren't trying to spoof Hal to some degree.
Old 05-14-2016, 12:31 AM   #1286
ronwit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
I thought it was to Thor/Donald Blake
Both are probably homages to Captain Marvel/Billy Batson. Billy says a magic word and is empowered in a flash of lighting by mostly Greek gods and heroes. Donald taps his stick against something and in a flash of lighting becomes a Norse god. In each case canon has changed as to whether there is only one person who changes form or two people only one of which can exist at a time. Donald Blake is even lame like Freddy Freeman.
ronwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 05:15 PM   #1287
Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Al characters with "solid energy" powers descend from the Silver Age Green Lanterns. From the few reprints I've seen of the Golden age version his powers weren't quite so clearly defined.

Anyway, the "official" Hal Jordan/Green Lantern homage is Dr Spectrum from the Squadron Sinister/ Supreme.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naloth View Post
In his origin story they brought in test pilots to try the quantum bands, but they all burned up because they were too aggressive and "fought" the power. Wendell was just the opposite. He was full of self doubt and fear of power.

It's hard to believe they weren't trying to spoof Hal to some degree.
I meant what naloth is saying: I am aware that Hal Jordan is one of (if not the) oldest, clearly established "solid energy construct" archetypal superheroes. What I meant was the more specific way that the Wendell Quasar seemed to be intentionally poking fun of the iconic Hal Jordan origin.

Hal Jordan is, shall we say, not my favorite Green Lantern. ;)
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)

Last edited by Otaku; 05-22-2016 at 09:59 PM. Reason: Cleared up phrasing.
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 05:47 PM   #1288
Phantasm

Also, I didn't mean to imply that I'd be giving the bands to Mar-Vell; I was actually considering Phyla-Vell, who in mainstream Marvel was Mar-Vell's genetic daughter and the bearer of the quantum bands after Wendell Vaughn, only doing a bit of retconning to make Phyla into Mar's sister.

I like Wendell, actually, but the way he got the bands was rather roundabout. I might consider him a Year Two character, though.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 08:22 PM   #1289
naloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
What naloth is saying: I am aware that Hal Jordan is one of (if not the) oldest, clearly established "solid energy construct" archetypal superheroes. What I meant was the more specific way that the Wendell Quasar seemed to be intentionally poking fun of the iconic Hal Jordan origin.

Hal Jordan is, shall we say, not my favorite Green Lantern. ;)
Sure, I was just adding more detail. I actually like both Wendell and Hal, though GL's tend to be self righteous jerks ;)
Old 05-21-2016, 12:23 PM   #1290
Phantasm

ARES

Identity: Ares is not generally believed by the public to be anything other than a mythological figure.
Legal Status: Citizen of Olympus with no criminal record.
Other Aliases: Mars.
Place of Birth: Mount Olympus.
Marital Status: Single.
Known Relatives: Zeus (father), Hera (mother), Hephaestus (brother), Eris, Hebe (sisters), Apollo, Dionysus, Hercules, Hermes (half-brothers), Artemis, Athena, Persephone, Nyssa Savakis (half-sisters), Aphrodite (sister-in-law), Demeter, Hestia (aunts), Hades, Poseidon (uncles), Phobos, Deimos, Eros, (sons by Aphrodite), Harmonia (daughter by Aphrodite), Enyalius (son by Eris), Thrax (son, from an unidentified consort, deceased), many other children (some mortal and deceased). For more details on his extended family tree, which includes all of the major gods and many of the ancient Greek heroes, consult Hesiod's Theogeny and other works.
Group Affiliation: Gods of Olympus, Warhawks.
Base of Operations: Mobile, formerly Mount Olympus.
History: Ares is the oldest son was born to Zeus, lord of the gods of Mount Olympus, and his sister-wife, Hera (see Hera; Olympian Gods; Zeus). It is known that he was worshipped in Mycenaean Greece, and possibly as far back as Minoan Crete. As the god of war, he was worshipped primarily by the Thracians and Spartans, both of whom claimed descent from him. During the Roman era he was known as Mars, and held as one of the Roman Empire's chief gods.

Ares's most humiliating defeat occurred during the Trojan War, when he and his Thracians sided with Troy against the Achaeans, who were supported by his half-sister Athena, the Greek goddess of tactical war (see Athena). Ares and Athena fought on the battlefield, and Athena's use of superior tactics defeated Ares despite his superior strength.

In recent decades, Ares has essentially abandoned Mount Olympus for traveling the world as an adventurer. Very few of his adventures could be considered "noble" endeavors, however. He was often accompanied on these adventures by his twin sister, Eris (see Eris). Many of his "adventures" were little more than criminal endeavors; in essence, he sought out fights with those he could take on. He has also alluded to having fought the Juggernaut in an undocumented location ("somewhere in flyover country") prior to the Juggernaut's first conflict with the X-Men, which probably ended badly for him (see Juggernaut; X-Men).

Ares's first fully documented actions in recent years were when he and Eris were contacted by their mother, Hera, to cause trouble for their mortal half-sister, Nyssa Savakis, the most recent child of Zeus to come to her attention (see Savakis, Nyssa). To start, the twins organized a biker gang, the Warhawks, who started harassing Nyssa Los Angeles while she was there on a business trip (see Warhawks). These efforts were thwarted by their half-brother, Hercules, who Ares still bears a grudge against for deeds in the far distant past (see Hercules). Despite this, Ares was not revealed as the leader of the Warhawks until much later.

Ares continues to lead the Warhawks in attacks against Herc and Nyssa, while occasionally assisting them against other threats. The latter annoys Hera, but Ares has managed to placate her with a statement about not wanting others to take his victory.
Height: 6' 4"
Weight: 750 lbs.
Eyes: Brown.
Hair: Black.
Uniform: Typically none. Occasionally wears armor that is a mix of ancient and modern designs, commonly in shades of brown and black. Mostly, however, he dresses like a biker when operating on Earth, often adorned with skull iconography.
Strength Level: Ares possesses superhuman strength enabling him to lift (press) around 80 tons.
Known Superhuman Powers: In addition to his superhuman strength, Ares possesses the typical attributes of an Olympian God. He is impervious to terrestrial diseases, and possesses superhuman durability. He is able to shrug off modern assault rifle fire with ease.
Other Abilities: Ares is a skilled warrior, able to use nearly every weapon with ease.
Weapons: Ares uses a number of weapons, both ancient and modern; he is commonly found with a wide selection of knives, short swords, and handguns. His favorite weapon, however, is an oversized orichalcum greatsword forged for him by Hephaestus.

1,712 points
Attributes:
ST 33/355 [10*]; DX 13 [60]; IQ 11 [0]; HT 15 [30†].
Secondary Characteristics: Dmg 3d+2/6d (36d/38d); BL 218 lbs (25,205 lbs/12.6 tons); HP 33 [0]; Will 14 [15]; Per 12 [5]; FP 15 [0]; Basic Speed 7.00 [0]; Basic Move 7 [0]; Dodge 11.
Languages: Ancient Greek (Native) (Native Language) [0]; English (Accented) [4]; Latin (Native) [6].
Cultural Familiarities: Mount Olympus [0]; Western [1].
Advantages: Damage Resistance 30 (No Signature, +20%; Tough Skin, -40%) [90]; Enhanced ST (Accessibility: Only With Super ST, -10%) [253]; Enhanced Time Sense [45]; Gang Rank 3 [6]; High Pain Threshold [10]; Injury Tolerance (Damage Reduction (/20)) [200]; No Low TL 4 [20]; Olympian God [605]; Signature Gear (Oversized Orichalcum Greatsword) [22]; Super ST +13/+300 [80‡]; Trained By A Master [30]; Very Fit [15]; Wealth (Wealthy) [20]; Weapon Master (All Melee) [40].
Perks: Acceleration Tolerance [1]; Dirty Fighting [1]; Fearsome Stare [1]; Focused Fury [1]; Gangster Swagger [1]; Huge Weapons (SM) 1 [1]; I Lived It! (Soldier/TL1+) [1]; Power Grappling [1]; Rules Exemption (No MaxST on Orichalcum Weapons) [1]; Style Familiarity (Ancient Greek Boxing) [1]; Style Familiarity (Armatura) [1]; Style Familiarity (Greco-Roman Wrestling) [1]; Style Familiarity (Heroic Spear Fighting) [1]; Style Familiarity (Hoplomachia) [1]; Style Familiarity (Pankration) [1]; Sure-Footed (Uneven) [1]; Weapon Bond (Oversized Orichalcum Greatsword) [1].
Disadvantages: Bloodlust (9) [-15]; Bully (9) [-15]; Code of Honor (Pirate's) [-5]; Impulsiveness (6) [-20]; No Injury Tolerance (Damage Reduction /3; Limited Defense: Crushing Attacks, -40%) [-45]; On the Edge (9) [-22]; Overconfidence (6) [-10]; Stubbornness [-5]; Truthfulness (9) [-7].
Quirks: Bloody Mess [-1]; Chauvinistic [-1]; Incorrigible Flirt [-1]; Rude and Crude [-1]; Scruffy-Looking [-1].
Skills: Blade! (WC) DX+7 [108] – 20; Body Language (Humanoid) (A) Per+0 [2] – 12; Breath Control (H) HT-2 [1] – 15; Carousing (E) HT+0 [1] – 15; Climbing (A) DX-1 [1] – 12; Connoisseur (Beer!) (A) IQ-1 [1] – 10; Driving/TL8 (Motorcycle) (A) DX+1 [4] – 14; Fist! (WC) DX+3 [60] – 16; Games (First-Person Shooters) (E) IQ+0 [1] – 11; Games (Pankration) (E) IQ+1 [2] – 12; Games (Wrestling) (E) IQ+1 [2] – 12; Guns (Pistol) (E) DX+1 [4] – 14; Hiking (A) HT-1 [1] – 14; Intimidation (A) Will+4 [16] – 18; Jumping (E) DX+0 [1] – 13; Lifting (A) HT-1 [1] – 14; Riding (Equines) (A) DX+1 [4] – 14; Running (A) HT-1 [1] – 14; Savoir-Faire (Military) (E) IQ+1 [2] – 12; Shield (E) DX+5 [16] – 18; Soldier/TL8 (A) IQ-1 [1] – 10; Streetwise (A) IQ+1 [4] – 12; Survival (Mountain) (A) Per+0 [2] – 12; Survival (Woodlands) (A) Per+0 [2] – 12; Swimming (E) HT+0 [1] – 15; Tactics (H) IQ+1 [8] – 12; Teamster (Equines) (A) IQ+2 [4] – 12§; Throwing (A) DX-1 [1] – 12; Thrown Weapon (Spear) (E) DX+3 [8] – 16.
Starting Spending Money: $4,000 (20% of Starting Wealth).

* Includes +9 from Olympian God, +13/+300 from Super ST, and +35 from Enhanced ST.
† Includes +2 from Olympian God.
‡ Upgraded from Super ST +11/+150, part of Olympian God.
§ Defaulted from Riding (Equines).

Role-Playing Notes:
As a passionate warrior and consummate brawler, Ares is much more concerned about personal glory and defeating an enemy through sheer force of arms than he is completing a mission for a greater cause or use of clever tactics, or even the safety of himself and those under his command. He will use any and every dirty trick in the book to complete his goals, and will charge recklessly at an enemy. He doesn't care for modern combat, due to its increasingly impersonal nature.

Much to his own dismay, he's been portrayed as the pantheon's butt monkey, particularly after the Trojan War where he got his ass handed to him by his half-sister, Athena. He's constantly trying to prove to himself and the rest of the pantheon that he's not a joke, which has led him into conflict with others in the pantheon.

Design Notes:
1. Price for Gang Rank (2 per level) is derived from rules in Social Engineering for variant rank schemes.

"I Lived It!" is a new Perk, described as thus: Specify the skill at the TL you initially learned it at. By listing the skill at the current TL you know it at, you can use it without penalty at any of the intervening TLs. This of course assumes you actually lived through the TLs and not simply transported to a world with a higher TL; as such it requires Extended Lifespan or Unaging as a prerequisite for skills more than one TL prior to the setting.

Note to self: redo Herc's sheet!

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting

Last edited by Phantasm; 05-04-2017 at 02:22 PM. Reason: added Enhanced ST
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
avengers, captain america, captain marvel, chandley, character creation, chargen, iron man, marvel, phantasm, supers, thor, x-men