Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 06-25-2020, 05:16 PM   #51
GnomesofZurich

Default Re: DreadStormers (OOC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
I don't think either of you have a way to deal with locks other than psi powers. You may want to pick up traps as well, which covers both setting and dealing with them. Neither of you has either driving or hiking, which you may want to consider: the ship is BIG.

I think Gnome's character is fine. I could use a little more information about the nature of the asteroids where he grew up, but its fine.
Okay, I'll see if I can juggle some points to pick up some other skills. What sort of vehicles are used on ship to get around? Would it be Driving (Automobile) or (Heavy Wheeled)?

I'll put together a bit more background info as well.
Old 06-25-2020, 06:46 PM   #52
Sinzarious

Took the skill and talent suggestions from Gnome. Also changed the TK Grab Range to Level 23 and made it short range. Added a level in TK Crush. Got rid of the Sanitary perk and replaced it with the Psychokinetic Perk Chill Factor. Added Hiking and Lock-picking to skills, and separated out the flavor skills. Open to other edits before confirmation.

Spoiler:  

**EDIT**Changed Smuggling to Prospecting.

Last edited by Sinzarious; 06-26-2020 at 12:19 PM. Reason: Changed Smuggling to Prospecting
Sinzarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 04:55 AM   #53
GnomesofZurich

To incorporate the suggested skills, I dropped Per and Filch by 1 level each, and picked up Driving (Automobile), Electronics Operation (Security), Hiking, Lockpicking, Mind Block, and Traps at the 1 point level.

I still need to generate more on the Belter society, will get to that next.

Spoiler:  

Last edited by GnomesofZurich; 06-26-2020 at 05:13 AM.
GnomesofZurich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 11:30 AM   #54
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Ok, looking over things:

I haven't assigned a language for the fifth spin-ward republic. Any suggestions for what the language should be? I'm considering English, with some twist to indicate its really old, possibly french, because numbering republics makes me think of france, or possibly something completely generic, like "Spinward Standard". Any thoughts? It doesn't have to be the language for the entire republic, just its government language.

Sinzarious: Smuggling is not a valid flavor skill for this game. You will find it fairly useful, as secretly acquiring gear for the take-over is a potential tool.

You're missing luck and combat reflexes, which is a touch odd in an action character. You don't have to add them, but you should at least look at them.

Other than that it looks good.

Gnome's Character is approved, other than the language stuff. Please make all further changes as edits to post #52 rather than new posts. I'll put a link to it in one of the opening posts.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 12:34 PM   #55
Sinzarious

Changed the Sheet in #51 to reflect the skill change between smuggling and prospecting . Looked at Combat Reflexes and Luck. Would like to keep the character as is if that is okay. Also I will change the characters native language to whatever you decide is appropriate when we have settled on one. No real preference there.
Sinzarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 05:42 AM   #56
GnomesofZurich

Quote:

I haven't assigned a language for the fifth spin-ward republic. Any suggestions for what the language should be? I'm considering English, with some twist to indicate its really old, possibly french, because numbering republics makes me think of france, or possibly something completely generic, like "Spinward Standard". Any thoughts? It doesn't have to be the language for the entire republic, just its government language.
This is odd, I composed a post concerning language choices the other day, but it seems to have disappeared.

If we presume this setting is in our (or another, alternate) Earth's future, which cultures are most likely to lead a race into space? Looking at current populations and which languages are most widely spoken, English is certainly a front runner, but Mandarin, Hindi, and Spanish are also plausible choices.

As for the Belters, I'm thinking they would make use of O'Neill Cylinders created from asteroids, using spin to create "gravity" rather than expensive artificial gravity generators, and be focused on mining asteroids for metals and ice. 3D Spatial Sense is a common advantage, and they make natural spacers since space is home for them; many struggle a bit in a real gravity well.
Old 06-29-2020, 07:42 PM   #57
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Both Characters are approved!

I'll try to get the In Character Thread up sometime this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomesofZurich View Post
This is odd, I composed a post concerning language choices the other day, but it seems to have disappeared.

If we presume this setting is in our (or another, alternate) Earth's future, which cultures are most likely to lead a race into space? Looking at current populations and which languages are most widely spoken, English is certainly a front runner, but Mandarin, Hindi, and Spanish are also plausible choices.

Lets go with Spanish. That will create a fun flavor for the Fifth republic. Or the Quinta Republica, if that's more evocative. And yes, the forum ate a bunch of posts. I saw your original.

Quote:
As for the Belters, I'm thinking they would make use of O'Neill Cylinders created from asteroids, using spin to create "gravity" rather than expensive artificial gravity generators, and be focused on mining asteroids for metals and ice. 3D Spatial Sense is a common advantage, and they make natural spacers since space is home for them; many struggle a bit in a real gravity well.
Sure.... but what about the specific asteroid belt Daymar came from?

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!

Last edited by ericthered; 06-29-2020 at 07:45 PM.
Old 07-02-2020, 03:43 AM   #58
GnomesofZurich

Quote:

Sure.... but what about the specific asteroid belt Daymar came from?
I'm thinking it's an older Belter colony, and that it is starting to be mined out of the precious/strategic metals to be found in the asteroids, which pushes people to find employment elsewhere - many find work on merchant ships, or join up with the Republic's navy.
Old 07-02-2020, 08:23 AM   #59
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

I have uploaded floorplans of the Nightfall on the second post of this thread. They're pretty big, so I've highlighted a few locations and floors worth looking at:

Deck Three is the loading floor, and has a vehicle bay (the big unmarked area), as well as living quarters for the shield Section. Its probably the "Main Deck". When loading the ship, the portion above the loading floor is taken off and supplies are loaded onto that deck. When not loading, the loading floor becomes the largest open space on deck, and usually hosts training, sports, or just a gym. I've made a labeled version of deck three.

Not worth looking at, but worth knowing about, is that floors 1 and 21 are useful only for shielding, and floor 20 is mostly devoted to artificial gravity.

The transport section lives on deck 2, and other than them and the shield section, everyone is quartered between decks 18 and 12, with officers and morale towards the upper decks. And effort has been made to station people close to where they work.

The control centers for the ship are on decks 9 and 6. The Sick bay is on deck 11. A small number of stores, barbers, a laundromat, and so forth are on deck 12.

Life support is on decks 18 and 19.

Deck 19 is almost all storage, and as the bottom of the ship, is kind of a basement, and its well known that crew looking for empty space tend to gravitate there.

Feel free to explore the ship. I'm almost got the OP ready.

Old 07-02-2020, 03:40 PM   #60
GnomesofZurich

Just reviewing the IC post, do we know how long the psi-suppressants will last, and have we been briefed on how to avoid those in the food served on board? Since we eat with others in the mess, it would likely be noticed if we didn't eat anything there, likewise trying to steal/scrounge food from the kitchens chances being caught.