Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-05-2010, 02:03 AM   #21
whswhs

Default Re: TL3+1 Mechanical Artillery

GURPS Low-Tech actually has several suggestions that you might start out from: the gunner's quadrant on p. 48 could be adapted to use with an engine, I think; the steel crossbow on p. 74 could probably be scaled up as a dart or rock thrower; there's also going to be a discussion of Roman experiments with pneumatic artillery in LTC2.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 02:12 AM   #22
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polydamas View Post
Well, calculus and Newtonian kinematics (with mathematical ideas like energy, force, and so on) are modern by definition.
Assuming TL 5 is modern.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 02:30 AM   #23
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Assuming TL 5 is modern.
Calculus is TL4. Check the dates for Newton and Leibniz. Probably the most important TL5 development was various forms of symbolic logic. Though non-Euclidean geometry laid the ground for relativity.

Bill Stoddard
Old 11-05-2010, 07:23 AM   #24
Icelander

Quote:
Icelander, what do you mean by a substitute for cannon? I think the trifecta of cheap cannon, truck carriages, and sturdy ships drove European warships in one direction. A TL 4-5 society without those might develop warships in another! Indian and Chinese naval warfare at TL 4 might be a profitable area for research ...
Well, Realms warship technology is extremely anachronistic, in terms of real history. Without, as you say, cheap and plentiful cannon, galleys made for ramming are still a viable warship design.

On the other hand, the possibilities of controlling the wind or summoning friendly elementals to propel ships mean that sailing ships can be both faster and more maneueverable than in reality. Provided, that is, that there is enough magic to call upon (meaning that less than 1% of ships will be able to rely upon such big ticket magical propulsion methods).

The occasional ship's mage will be powerful enough to rain down Explosive Fireballs and other anti-material spells on the opposition. This means that tough hulls and gunwales are a worthwhile investment and that sails may be a dangerous weakness. On the other hand, most merchant ships will have a minor adept as the ship's mage, barely powerful enough to make shipboard life easier with a few cantrips and unable to affect a naval battle in any way. Even pirates and warships are more likely to have a wizard who exhausts his might on an attack spell or two than they are to have someone who can function as full-blown artillery on his own.

So, what I guess I mean with 'substitute' for cannon is something that can be used from a range to at least have a chance of damaging enemy vessels or kill some of their crew. Smaller pieces that can be used to suppress enemy wizards and larger ones that can be aimed at the mast in the hope of crippling the opposing vessel.
Old 11-05-2010, 07:26 AM   #25
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
the gunner's quadrant on p. 48 could be adapted to use with an engine, I think;
Certainly. Once I've found some engine which has enough range to make it worthwhile.

Quote:
the steel crossbow on p. 74 could probably be scaled up as a dart or rock thrower;
In terms of rules, why would anyone want to do that?

According to the artillery chapter, the TL2 iron cheiroballista is far more efficient than the TL4 crossbow steel siege crossbow.

Quote:
there's also going to be a discussion of Roman experiments with pneumatic artillery in LTC2.

Bill Stoddard
That should be interesting.
Old 11-05-2010, 08:06 AM   #26
Polydamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Assuming TL 5 is modern.
I'm a historian, so yes, the last 300 years are Modern. Back to either 1350 or 1450 you sometimes attach the label "Early Modern" since calling the whole period "Renaissance" is out of fashion.

This forum got less aggravating when I started using the ignore feature
Polydamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 10:19 AM   #27
Anthony

Quote:
Calculus is TL4. Check the dates for Newton and Leibniz.
Actually, check the dates for TL 4. Though given when the Principia was published, and the time required for a technology to come into widespread use, I'd still call it TL 5.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 11:20 AM   #28
teviet

Quote:
I'm a historian, so yes, the last 300 years are Modern. Back to either 1350 or 1450 you sometimes attach the label "Early Modern" since calling the whole period "Renaissance" is out of fashion.
To a physicists, "modern physics" is relativity and quantum mechanics, while "classical physics" is Newtonian mechanics, electrodynamics, and thermodynamics up to 1905.

TeV
teviet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 12:11 PM   #29
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
In terms of rules, why would anyone want to do that?

According to the artillery chapter, the TL2 iron cheiroballista is far more efficient than the TL4 crossbow steel siege crossbow.
I'm not surprised; it stored energy in coiled sinew, which seems to have been a highly efficient elastic medium, especially for the weight.

It doesn't appear to me that steel had much of an advantage in terms of power for weight. Rather, the payoff seems to have been that steel was denser, and thus let you store power in a smaller (but heavier) volume. The statistics can probably be found in Vogel's Life's Devices; I don't have that to hand at this exact moment, but I'll try to remember to check.

Bill Stoddard
Old 11-05-2010, 12:14 PM   #30
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by teviet View Post
To a physicists, "modern physics" is relativity and quantum mechanics, while "classical physics" is Newtonian mechanics, electrodynamics, and thermodynamics up to 1905.
Yes, which I is why I found the statement odd. A siege engine that needs relativity or quantum mechanics to be understood?
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
artillery, crossbows, low-tech