Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-04-2014, 05:23 AM   #1
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Basic, High-Tech, maybe Low-Tech: different tents / tent types

Greetings, all!

I'm making a loadout for a carry-everything-you-own character, and am looking at the options of tents. TL is 6ish, but I want to have a clearer picture of tents in general.
B288 lists several tents, including
Tent, 1-Man (TL0). Includes ropes; no poles needed. $50, 5 lbs.
Tent, 2-Man (TL0). Includes ropes; requires one 6-foot pole. $80, 12 lbs.
High-Tech 56-57 lists
Tent, Shelter Half (TL5). The standard U.S. Army tent from the Civil War through the 1980s, this is a small “pup” tent – so called because it’s barely big enough for a dog! It consists of two separate sheets of treated canvas, the “shelter halves.” Weight includes poles and rope, which are split between two soldiers. Survival modifier: +1. $75, 10 lbs. LC4.

I'm trying to figure out precisely what each entry represents. From what I read of shelter-half, it's not as small as the HT description implies, and is also typically suitable as a poncho too, which is why it's called raincoat-tent in some places (sometimes even hooded, I heard).
The 1-man tent looks quite attractive compared to the shelter-half, but I don't get what sort of design it is that it doesn't require poles.
Also, I wonder what is it with the 2-man tent that its mass is 12 lbs instead of a mere 10, and it requires a pole whole two yards tall.

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-04-2014, 07:46 AM   #2
Varyon

Default Re: Basic, High-Tech, maybe Low-Tech: different tents / tent types

I think the 1-man tent is some sort of "ribbed" design that's only large enough to crawl into. The 2-man tent might lack or have greatly reduced ribbing and requires a pole to keep it upright, but gives standing room, at least in the dead center. I made a design system for low tech tents here, although I didn't come up with anything for ribbing thanks to being uncertain such would be appropriate for low TL (and not being certain how I should design such a thing).
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 08:28 AM   #3
The Colonel

The ribbed, self supporting design would seem fairly modern (unless someone has historical examples - which I wouldn't rule out) - possibly a low tech tent without poles is either designed to be tied off to local terrain (like a poncho basha) or relies on the user finding their own poles at each camp site...
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 07:37 AM   #4
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Colonel View Post
The ribbed, self supporting design would seem fairly modern (unless someone has historical examples - which I wouldn't rule out) - possibly a low tech tent without poles is either designed to be tied off to local terrain (like a poncho basha) or relies on the user finding their own poles at each camp site...
Yeah, I thought about needing a tree nearby too. It's just that the wording is ambiguous.

This seems pretty versatile, including both wind-open and wind-stopping configurations, but nonetheless relies on a tree or pole, or several.

(How silly is the idea of using a rifle with a bayonet stuck into the ground instead of a central pole?)
Old 11-06-2014, 07:56 AM   #5
Sindri

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
How silly is the idea of using a rifle with a bayonet stuck into the ground instead of a central pole?
I would try to acquire a pole instead. If there aren't any trees or anything around I suppose you might make do if you don't need the rifle ready.
Sindri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 08:38 AM   #6
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Okay, I found a video showing a Shelter Half, and it seems like the stats in High-Tech represent a full set. And apparently the two halves put together are suitable for use by two people simultaneously (which is logical given that it is carried by two people, not one; somehow I didn't consider it).
That makes the name 'pup tent' deceptive and incorrect - I wouldn't think of a pup-sized shelter to be big enough for two people.
Old 11-06-2014, 08:39 AM   #7
The Colonel

Quote:
(How silly is the idea of using a rifle with a bayonet stuck into the ground instead of a central pole?)
Very. Bad for the rifle, bad for the bayonet and bad for the user either during night attacks or when he has to stand-to. The same would probably apply to using a spear in pre-powder times, except that the spearman might well carry a sidearm and armies in that era tended not to stand-to. Also, with a spear you can use the butt-spike.
Old 11-06-2014, 09:22 AM   #8
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Quote:
Okay, I found a video showing a Shelter Half, and it seems like the stats in High-Tech represent a full set. And apparently the two halves put together are suitable for use by two people simultaneously (which is logical given that it is carried by two people, not one; somehow I didn't consider it).
That makes the name 'pup tent' deceptive and incorrect - I wouldn't think of a pup-sized shelter to be big enough for two people.
You're very tight in there. There's enough room for two people if you sleep side by side and touching.

Semper Fi
Crakkerjakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 09:32 AM   #9
The Colonel

Mind you, these days a lot of smally military tentage is used to roof a trench of some kind, giving you at least a bit more vertical space...
Old 11-06-2014, 10:44 AM   #10
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crakkerjakk View Post
You're very tight in there. There's enough room for two people if you sleep side by side and touching.
As I imagined. It's just that the text description made me think that it's very tight for a single human, on first reading. The extra space seems like a nice option for storing equipment etc. when alone.

Tags
basic set, high-tech, low-tech, survival, tents