Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-31-2014, 08:12 AM   #1
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default [Low-Tech] Musical Instruments: Water & Pipe Organ?

Greetings, all!

I'm trying to find data on medieval-ish Pipe Organs, the ancient Hydraulos / Water Organs, and related instruments. Web-searching seems to produce general descriptions. But I'm looking at data in the more GURPS-y style: variant items with cost, size/mass and typical sound volume.

I realise that e.g. church organs were probably not sold on the open market, but a price in GURP$ for the purposes of calculating crafting time/effort/etc. would be just as useful.

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-31-2014, 10:54 AM   #2
malloyd

Default Re: [Low-Tech] Musical Instruments: Water & Pipe Organ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Greetings, all!
I realise that e.g. church organs were probably not sold on the open market, but a price in GURP$ for the purposes of calculating crafting time/effort/etc. would be just as useful.
The requirement for a large volume of a pressurized fluid mean that prior to the invention of electric pumps, these are pieces of architecture - you need a big somewhat airtight room pumped up by large bellows, water towers or something like that. Though if you are installing a new organ, you may be able to use the wind chest for the old one.

Church organs usually involved several master craftsmen (the architect, instrument maker, and the smith who did the pipes were not usually the same person), the construction and metalworking labor forces, and months of work. If you didn't have too many people on the pipes, it might be several years before they are all delivered and installed. If you aren't in a hurry and don't demand too much quality you might get away with under $100,000.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:07 AM   #3
Dalillama

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
If you aren't in a hurry and don't demand too much quality you might get away with under $100,000.
Per the Association of Organ Builders, a new organ built today (and thus using approximate GURPS dollars) starts at $850,000 for the very smallest pipe organ built new. Given the rest of your post about the difficulties of making them in the past, I can't imagine it would be less.
Dalillama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 02:01 PM   #4
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalillama View Post
Per the Association of Organ Builders, a new organ built today (and thus using approximate GURPS dollars) starts at $850,000 for the very smallest pipe organ built new. Given the rest of your post about the difficulties of making them in the past, I can't imagine it would be less.
I don't know, I suspect something called the Association of Organ Builders isn't going to turn out anything less than good, or possibly fine quality work. If you subcontract your pipes to the local auto body shops and cut them from plumbing supplies, they'll be cheaper.

But my point is the native scale of the project is "nice building", not a "nice piece of furniture" scale one a lot of musical instruments would be.
Old 03-31-2014, 03:35 PM   #5
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
But my point is the native scale of the project is "nice building", not a "nice piece of furniture" scale one a lot of musical instruments would be.
Most musical instruments aren't that big. Even a tenor sax, a set of bagpipes, or a sitar is more the scale of a big hand tool or a piece of luggage.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 03:43 PM   #6
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Most musical instruments aren't that big. Even a tenor sax, a set of bagpipes, or a sitar is more the scale of a big hand tool or a piece of luggage.

Bill Stoddard
Yeah, I remember that the smallest organs are one-handed instruments, with the other hand pumping the air.

Though the whole question is inspired by the musing about what sorts of organs a clichéd fantasy overlord can afford after being deprived from his prior mega-wealth (i.e. how much wealth he has to reestablish in order to get what sort/size of organ).
Old 03-31-2014, 03:55 PM   #7
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post

Though the whole question is inspired by the musing about what sorts of organs a clichéd fantasy overlord can afford after being deprived from his prior mega-wealth (i.e. how much wealth he has to reestablish in order to get what sort/size of organ).
Well, if he's a necromancer, he already has access to vital organs...

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 05:11 PM   #8
scc

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post

Bill Stoddard
I'm pretty sure the OP was asking about the sort of ones you install in a wall
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 05:22 PM   #9
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
Actually I'm interested in the full list, if it turns out to be known. The one installed in a wall is the ideal to strive for, but surely our evil overlord will have to get by with what's available before restoring his former glory.
Old 03-31-2014, 05:33 PM   #10
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
Yes, of course. I was responding only to malloyd's comparison of that size to the size you treat as furniture (orchestral harps, grand pianos, timpani, and so on), which leaves out what I think is the predominant size.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
hydraulos, low-tech, musical instruments, organ, pipe organ, water organ