Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2013, 07:25 PM   #2161
rorikdude12
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Default Re: [IC] Worlds of Fire

Jacob stands puzzled, his hands in his pockets.

He's in your mind. I kept telling you not to trust him. He's invaded your mind, Jacob! Can you even trust your own thoughts, now that a psychic is meddling with them?
rorikdude12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:14 PM   #2162
Lamech
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Default Re: [IC] Worlds of Fire

Quote:
Michael pulls john and jorin aside "Anyone got any spells to allow seeing without seeing? That'd be a really nice bonus right now."
Not without a full fledged Ritual of Luna. And if I manage to perform that I'll be saving it for escaping. Hmm... you think it might be best to send someone back with the car? Its preprogrammed right, you just need to hit the gas? They'd end up on the Western Harbour and they could give a detailed explanation to command. I don't want to lose our best line of communication, but it looks like we'll have to. Patrick? If the rest of us agree I think we might be able to get you out of here.

OOC: I'm not sure if Patrick was supposed to be important to the plot, but he seems like the only one capable. Never split the party so the PCs are out (I'll metagame that much), Sam is somehow essential we've been told, and Patrick knows about this place so he's the best source of info on it anyway.
__________________
John
Cee
Martel
Hiriko
Andrew
Lamech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 11:15 AM   #2163
Totem
 
Totem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: The Western Harbour
Default Re: [IC] Worlds of Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by momothefiddler View Post
"So you're saying it's not about looking at them; it's something they do to you if they notice you?"
"Looking at them draws their attention," Wolf clarifies. "You can manage to get away from them after that, but you need to be quick. And what they do to you when they do catch up with you... It's not going to be pleasant."

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
(how is Michael's connection with Jacob? Any Fuzz?)
Michael's connection to Jacob is, if anything, stronger than ever, showing no signs of dissipating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Michael to Patrick: "Photograph's don't work around here? huh. that's odd. can you contact satellites? And is it safe for us to leave the car behind? will it get smashed or vandalized? We've got some equipment that can't really leave it."
"We've got radio and TV coming in," Wolf admits. "Though it isn't exactly prime time viewing, as you'll soon find out. We haven't been able to reliably get a signal out; we tend to get static or... Well, it doesn't help either way. And like I said about the car, you won't get it near the safehouse, we can't afford to hang around too long parking it somewhere hidden, and if you're worried about it then something will definitely go wrong."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamech View Post
Not without a full fledged Ritual of Luna. And if I manage to perform that I'll be saving it for escaping. Hmm... you think it might be best to send someone back with the car? Its preprogrammed right, you just need to hit the gas? They'd end up on the Western Harbour and they could give a detailed explanation to command. I don't want to lose our best line of communication, but it looks like we'll have to. Patrick? If the rest of us agree I think we might be able to get you out of here.

OOC: I'm not sure if Patrick was supposed to be important to the plot, but he seems like the only one capable. Never split the party so the PCs are out (I'll metagame that much), Sam is somehow essential we've been told, and Patrick knows about this place so he's the best source of info on it anyway.
Physically this Patrick Wolf looks very similar, almost identical, to the Patrick Wolf that John met when helping to deal with Chu'dam, the verger of the same name working with the Clerics when you helped the SS deal with the zombies, and he matches the description of the man by that name in charge of the defences against the Argent Alliance in the last world you visited. The scar on his cheek even matches that which a Shakti by the name of Petrik Wulf had possessed. And that's just the ones that you've met on these missions. Something odd is going on at the very least (you were talking about investigating Patrick Wolf in the previous mission and then decided to leave without following through on that).

Sam's part in events is somewhat dubious. He did have a destiny, but then when Fate was revoked in his world he kind of lost that destiny. Same situation as Jacob; he's being kept around because he's probably going to be significant somehow, but no one is sure how any longer.

The car is set up to just follow a return course when run up to speed. You can return any time you like, though just going back to report in at this point wouldn't provide a very detailed report (you've been here less than twenty minutes thus far, and you've only really spoken to one local). It has a decent security system, so no regular individuals will be running off with it. What counts as regular of course doesn't necessarily define what you will actually run into here.
__________________
"John Adams was a farmer. Abraham Lincoln was a small-town lawyer. Plato, Socrates were teachers. Jesus was a carpenter. To equate judgment and wisdom with occupation is at best... insulting."
Totem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 12:34 PM   #2164
momothefiddler
 
momothefiddler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Default Re: [IC] Worlds of Fire

Jorin turns to Michael. "So it'll probably work but there's no way to know without trying it out."
__________________
Characters

Astrid 14/14HP, 3/10FP buffs
Jorin 13/13, 9/10, 0/1 ER, 24/24, 3/6, 6/6, 6/6, 6/6 Rings, 6 days since last use of WT
momothefiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 04:23 PM   #2165
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: [IC] Worlds of Fire

How safe is the car against plain old vandalism? It can easily be rendered inoperable without someone running away with it: Tire slashing, spraying over the windshield with paint, smashing up the body of the car... how robust is this thing?

"Jacob, I'm getting really tired of that."

"We can't leave the car then. I suppose we could send it home. It'd be nice to be able to just pop back and forth between *** and here, but I don't think its programmed right. I wonder if I can make it so we can..."

*** name of world we came from. Also, I'd like to know the exit worlds Micheal studied up on. He'll know at least one world is decently safe to go to.
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 01:33 PM   #2166
Totem
 
Totem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: The Western Harbour
Default Re: [IC] Worlds of Fire

[OOC: Temporarily leaving the car where it is (you can decide what to do with it in the background)...]

After going down a few streets it becomes clear that you really wouldn't have been able to get the car this far; most of the roads are cracked or have debris strewn across them sufficient to make them impassable. By foot appears to be the only way to get around safely or with any kind of speed, unless you can conjure up a tank or heavy ATV. That or perhaps flying or teleporting might work, though it does limit the number of people who can be transported.

Wolf eventually leads you to a large building, probably some kind of apartment block or cheap hotel. It's only three stories high, but a decent width. The main doors have been barricaded quite firmly, as well as the windows on the ground floor. The first floor shows signs of being reinforced as well. From inside come various sounds, perhaps the only sounds of people living that you have heard so far.

Wolf leads you around one side to an alley and raps on a drainpipe. After a moment a head appears over the edge of the balcony overhead, followed by a rope being thrown down.

"This is the safest way that we've found of getting in and out," Wolf explains as he hooks his foot into the loop at the end of the rope. "We can stop most stuff getting in and out like this. It hasn't slowed down the tick-tock men yet, but we're working on that."

The balcony turns out to be only a small area on the second floor, manned by a couple of somewhat jittery looking teenagers and a big bruiser of a man who is hauling people up on the rope. The three of them have one shotgun and a couple of crowbars between them as weapons. They greet Wolf cheerfully enough, and welcome you in somewhat less warmly, though you get the impression that this might just be because you're new and they're jittery.

Inside, the building is frankly a bit squalid. There's little in the way of proper furnishings, few efforts to tidy up the mess... There's a smell coming from somewhere down the corridor which suggests that the plumbing doesn't work. People are occupying whatever corner they can claim; there's plenty of room and only a few people, but they seem to either want to be left very much alone, or to group together for comfort.

Wolf leads you down a floor and indicates a section of the first floor that has been sealed off. "This is our HQ; from here we're organising what we can to fight back against everything that's going on. And trying to work out just what that is... Give me a minute and I'll get the boss; if you really did come here deliberately and can get out again then he'll definitely want to talk to you." He steps through a door, closing it behind him.
__________________
"John Adams was a farmer. Abraham Lincoln was a small-town lawyer. Plato, Socrates were teachers. Jesus was a carpenter. To equate judgment and wisdom with occupation is at best... insulting."
Totem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 02:13 PM   #2167
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: [IC] Worlds of Fire

Michael releases his "eye" on the frightened man, and tries to get out of Jacob's mind again. stupid voices. Perhaps they had something to do with him getting stuck.

He offers his hand to each of the three guards. When they shake, he intentionally makes skin contact and tries to read their minds. If they don't accept the hand he'll try to make mental contact anyways. If it looks like one of them wouldn't shake but he might get away with touching, he'll do that*

rolls: judgement call=11, vs big guy=11,vs teens=10,4

(This is a judgement call. It might be IQ (14), it might be Psychology (12), might be streetwise (13))

Michael tries to start up a conversation with the guards, asking how many people are here and so forth. He also will look for someone who looks like they've lost their mind.
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 02:00 PM   #2168
Totem
 
Totem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: The Western Harbour
Default Re: [IC] Worlds of Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Michael releases his "eye" on the frightened man, and tries to get out of Jacob's mind again. stupid voices. Perhaps they had something to do with him getting stuck.

He offers his hand to each of the three guards. When they shake, he intentionally makes skin contact and tries to read their minds. If they don't accept the hand he'll try to make mental contact anyways. If it looks like one of them wouldn't shake but he might get away with touching, he'll do that*

rolls: judgement call=11, vs big guy=11,vs teens=10,4

(This is a judgement call. It might be IQ (14), it might be Psychology (12), might be streetwise (13))

Michael tries to start up a conversation with the guards, asking how many people are here and so forth.
WILL 11: 5+5+4 = 14 (failed by 3)
WILL 10: 6+2+4 = 12 (failed by 2)
WILL 11: 4+5+2 = 11 (Success, barely)

The three are fairly happy to talk; being on lookout makes them nervous, since it makes them the first people likely to encounter any trouble. Thankfully the nearest rooftop is far enough away that nothing can make the jump over to the balcony yet, and so they're reasonably happy about the situation.

What he can pick up from their thoughts suggests to Michael that they are a lot more nervous, or even scared, than they are letting on.

The three seem a bit vague on the number of people in the building. Some people like Wolf tend to come and go on a regular basis between this building and the other couple of safe houses around the city. Some people who get brought in simply... Vanish. No one sees them leave, but they suddenly aren't there any more, without any fuss or mess. Their best guess is probably thirty people in this building, included able-bodied and the comatose ones. Spread around the city, it's perhaps another fifty in safe houses and an unknown number loose and lost in the city itself at the mercy of whatever finds them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
He also will look for someone who looks like they've lost their mind.
There are quite a few people who have been badly affected by this place. Some of the more anti-social ones have been worst affected. A couple, if you ask around, have gone almost comatose and are being looked after in a kind of ward area on the second floor.
__________________
"John Adams was a farmer. Abraham Lincoln was a small-town lawyer. Plato, Socrates were teachers. Jesus was a carpenter. To equate judgment and wisdom with occupation is at best... insulting."
Totem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 02:51 PM   #2169
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: [IC] Worlds of Fire

Michael is of course, looking for Blazen influence throughout the minds he reads. He inspects the three guards for any influence, and chats with them about what is known about the "tick-tock men". Fast Talk vs 13=5

Michael will ask not for where the worst affected guys are, but if they have anyone who has survived a tick-tock man attack. He will try to locate one (or a suspected victim) and then turn on telereceive for the victim. He will hold the person by the head and stare into their eyes, inspecting their mind (+3 to rolls).

Telereceive vs. 17 +3 (all out contact) -1 (Jacob's link) =19 roll of 11. success of 8, capped at 5 (rule of 16).

(feel free to keep the ball moving.)

(OCC: that is a truely lame place to get a 5)
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 04:20 AM   #2170
Totem
 
Totem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: The Western Harbour
Default Re: [IC] Worlds of Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Michael is of course, looking for Blazen influence throughout the minds he reads. He inspects the three guards for any influence, and chats with them about what is known about the "tick-tock men". Fast Talk vs 13=5
None of the three show any signs of possession by the Blazen. There is still some kind of fuzzing around though, which is making it hard to read some kinds of stuff. You haven't had a large enough sample group to check against yet, so it might just be blurring out random details, or it might be something specific.

The three can't tell you much more about the tick-tock men than Wolf could. What they can give you is a physical description, which Wolf didn't have time for: the tick-tock men appear to be people. They each seem to dress differently, each with a different style. The only constants about them seem to be that they all carry some kind of clock in their hand, and that they don't have a face; that isn't it's covered by a mask or something, they actually just have a blank layer of flesh where their face should be with maybe a couple of shallow dents where their eyes should be.

Other than that, regarding things like weaknesses and so forth, all the three can offer is what Wolf has already said: don't look, or run and hide and don't look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Michael will ask not for where the worst affected guys are, but if they have anyone who has survived a tick-tock man attack. He will try to locate one (or a suspected victim) and then turn on telereceive for the victim. He will hold the person by the head and stare into their eyes, inspecting their mind (+3 to rolls).
Some of the comatose ones have survived, nominally, meeting the tick-tock men, as have some of the ones keeping to themselves. The comatose ones tend to be under guard by people who, like Wolf, seem to be better off than anyone else. The brief look at them that Michael takes suggests that these guards are somewhat lacking in a sense of humour and aren't like to take well to the idea of strange and unusual things happening around their charges. The ones on their own are easier to get to, and so Michael will start with one of them.

The young man in the second room that Michael comes to is sitting in a chair with a pad of paper in front of him and a lot of photos and cards (ID, credit, etc) on the floor around him. He's quite good looking, with curly brown hair. He's got a bandage on his right hand and wrist that looks a bit tatty. At the moment he's not looking terribly confident, as he studiously avoids looking at Michael when he comes into the room.

The cards and photos all seem to be of the same person, namely this guy. Probably. It's hard to tell because the face and name are blurred on all of them, making it impossible to tell what the name is or who the photo is really of. From the way the guy is holding a pen poised over the paper, it's clear that he's trying to write something, but can't seem to get started.

He resists when Michael tries to get him to make eye contact, but he's clearly so far gone that he wears out his resistance in only a couple of seconds.

His mind is in a queer state, so flat with fear that it seems to define everything about how he is at present. The fear seems to be rooted in a single cause: he doesn't know who he is. He can't remember his name, he can't remember what he looks like... Someone or something had simply knocked out the foundations of his identity and then abandoned him like that. Tracing back the cause of that is fairly easy, and prominent enough that Michael almost ends up reliving the memory by mistake when he runs into it:

Quote:
I'm heading along the alley; we've found a shop that still has supplies in it, and we're heading back carrying cans and bottles. The other two are confident about our chances, but I wish that I hadn't come with them; they make it so easy, always look so confident, when I'm so scared.

I keep hearing noises in the background as we creep along; that damned giggling thing is somewhere nearby, and I'm sure that there's someone nearby sobbing. We don't even hear the ticking until it's too late.

The other two run, dropping their supplies as they do. I try to follow, but I slip on one of the cans; I land awkwardly on all fours, broken glass slicing into my hand as I do. The ticking is just behind me, and I can't get away from it now. It's too late to run, impossible to escape...

I look up in time to see the empty hand reaching down to my face-
There's nothing more to the memory, until he wakes up in the safe house with no idea of who he is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
(feel free to keep the ball moving.)
Wolf comes out of the room looking a bit confused. "Uh... Apparently he can't see you at the moment. Damned strange, but go figure. Things are quite busy, so maybe later. Anyway, find yourselves a place to settle; we'll have some stuff to do tomorrow probably, but try to get some sleep tonight. You won't succeed," he warns, "but if you don't at least try then you'll regret it in the morning."

[OOC: It is impossible to sleep. Night time activities are conducted as if suffering from lack of sleep. Failure to at least attempt to rest during the night or for an extended period results in effects as per Loss of Sleep. This means that distractions (such as raids, TVs, etc) can actually have a negative effect despite the inability to sleep. Find a place to lie down and try not to be distracted.]

[OOC: This is the point where Michael goes off and does his stuff looking at people and chatting. Everyone else can join in.]





As Jacob looks around he finds himself facing a boy, maybe eight years old, who regards him with the kind of firm intensity that you get from kids sometimes. After a few seconds of consideration, the boy speaks. "Hello tin man."




While John is looking around he finds a working TV. No one in the room seems to be paying attention to it, or are actively trying to ignore it, but it's still switched on. The stuff it's showing is... Well, it's fairly horrific. It's like someone has rolled the news footage from a dozen disaster movies (earthquakes, riots, plagues, mass executions, etc) and is running them on continuous loop at high volume.

In the middle of one scene the image flickers and shows some kind of demon-like creature standing over a number of victims who are staked to the ground in front of it. All of them are screaming, and as the creature starts to tear them open, starting at one end of the line, the camera focuses on someone close to the far end of the line. As the face swims into focus he recognises his sister.



Jorin stumbles across something interesting as he looks around; it's a collection of clothes, apparently collected and dumped in a pile waiting to be used. One item in particular catches his attention; it looks like most of a robe, and the signs and sigils on it are similar to the ones used by his own order.
__________________
"John Adams was a farmer. Abraham Lincoln was a small-town lawyer. Plato, Socrates were teachers. Jesus was a carpenter. To equate judgment and wisdom with occupation is at best... insulting."
Totem is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
pbp, world-jumping, worlds of fire

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.