Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-19-2022, 08:38 PM   #1
Qoltar
Pike's Pique

Default GURPS Star Trekking - Help? Assistance?

Greetings again,

Am GM-ing a GURPS campaign again for the first time since 2013, and wow I feel really rusty with the rules and mechanics. However, I can still keep the action or story flowing..

Okay, I have had three game sessions (two and a half?) and things are going "alright" but I feel like I am coasting.

Its "Star Trek" and I want to do ship combat - so I am trying to figure out the old GURPS: Spaceships combat system and how to approximate a Saladin-class destroyer and a typical Klingon D-7 Battle cruiser. The next game session there is very likely going to be a battle.

Oh yeah - the players are the Officers or Department heads of a Saladin-class destroyer named the USS Cochise NCC-530.

The year is 2261 - or 2 years after the current episodes of "Strange New Worlds" and 5 years before the classic Captain Kirk "TOS" stories take place.

I want to run a boarding action where a group of Klingons try to take over the USS Cochise. So of course I feel really out of practice with the combat rules or the way I used to run it so it never felt 'slow' to the players.

There is also the matter of making a decent handful of NPC crew member so the players have detailed folks to command and help out.

That means right now I really good GURPS templates for these races:

Caitians - the cat like race seen a few times - mainly "TAS" and "Lower Decks"

Deltans - Bald race really only seen in "ST:TMP"

Denobulans - Race featured in "Enterprise" but assumed to still part of the Federation in the 2260s

Edoans or "Edosians" - the orange skinned race with three arms and three legs seen in TAS as Lt. Arrex the Navigator

Saurians - The often mentioned race, now finally seen as crew in episodes of "Discovery" and "Strange New Worlds"

The races of Vulcan, Andorians, and Tellarites I am using the Prime Directive templates that are in the GCA.

Hoping to find enough miniatures here and there before our next game session on Sunday July 31.

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

-Ed C.
You can't take the sky from me....

A vote for charity: http://s3.silent-tower.org/TheKlingonVotes/index.html

Last edited by Qoltar; 07-19-2022 at 10:16 PM. Reason: Adjusting and correcting a few things
Qoltar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 10:09 PM   #2
Pursuivant

Default Re: GURPS Star Trekking - Help? Assistance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qoltar View Post
Its "Star Trek" and I want to do ship combat - so I am trying to figure out the old GURPS: Spaceships combat system and how to approximate a Saladin-class destroyer and a typical Klingon D-7 Battle cruiser. The next game session there is very likely going to be a battle.
My list of links in the Star Trek - High Value Posts thread includes stats or partial stats for a Klingon D-7 built using GURPS Spaceships. There are also lots of interpretations of a Constitution-Class cruiser which you could use to design smaller ships of the same era.

The same thread has basic character templates for Caitans and Denobulans.

There are no GURPS 4E templates for the other races, but two reasonably good fan-made GURPS 3E Star Trek conversions still exist and have easily adaptable templates for Deltans and Edosians:

http://www.gurpsnet.org/Archive/Worlds/Trek/
https://www.angelfire.com/tv/klingonkhi/gurps.htm

A very rough first pass at a Saurian Racial Template based on Memory Alpha:

Saurian (19 points)
Spoiler:  

Captain Joy's web site has lots of good GURPS 4E stuff for a SNW/TOS era ST game, including good templates for the major Starfleet departments and divisions.

He's probably the best person to ask for advice on running a TOS-era GURPS ST campaign. He occasionally posts on this forum, so a PM might get his attention.

http://captainjoy.chunkyboy.com/GURP...n_Console.html

Last edited by Pursuivant; 09-08-2022 at 09:21 AM.
Pursuivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 10:25 PM   #3
Qoltar
Pike's Pique

Saurians have claws??

Did we 'see' them onscreen in either "ST:Disco" or "ST:SNW"?

- Ed C.

Old 07-20-2022, 12:49 AM   #4
Pursuivant

Quote:
Saurians have claws??
Feel free to delete them from the template, or demote them to an optional advantage, but before you do take a close look at Lt j.g. Linus's picture in the Memory Alpha article.
Old 07-20-2022, 01:49 PM   #5
thalcos

There's an Edoan character in the unofficial GURPS Star Trek Who Tracks the Steps of Glory adventure here.

He's got Compartmentalized Mind, DR 1 (skull only), Extended Lifespan, Extra Arm, Extra Leg, High Manual Dexterity, Musical Ability 1, and Shyness.
thalcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 03:41 PM   #6
Qoltar
Pike's Pique

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalcos View Post
There's an Edoan character in the unofficial GURPS Star Trek Who Tracks the Steps of Glory adventure here.

He's got Compartmentalized Mind, DR 1 (skull only), Extended Lifespan, Extra Arm, Extra Leg, High Manual Dexterity, Musical Ability 1, and Shyness.
Where was the Edosian?

I didn't see a separate or isolated character description...or race description.

- Ed C.

Old 07-20-2022, 03:45 PM   #7
Inky

I don't know whether you've seen the recent GURPS Star Trek - High Value Posts thread. It seems to list a Denobulan template and a Caitian template, though not any of the others.
Old 07-20-2022, 06:17 PM   #8
Pursuivant

Quote:
Where was the Edosian?
Look at the pre-gen SF characters at the end of the module. It's the first officer character.

I wouldn't treat the Musical Ability talent as a required part of the racial template, however.
Old 07-20-2022, 06:26 PM   #9
maximara
On Notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursuivant View Post
My list of links in the Star Trek - High Value Posts thread includes stats or partial stats for a Klingon D-7 built using GURPS Spaceships. There are also lots of interpretations of a Constitution-Class cruiser which you could use to design smaller ships of the same era.

The same thread has basic character templates for Caitans and Denobulans.

There are no GURPS 4E templates for the other races
Actually, there are GURPS 4E templates for other races. They are in GURPS Prime Directive:

===United Federation of Planets===
Vulcans [70]; Humans [0]; Rigellians [11]; Cygnans [16]; Alpha-Centaurans [50 female /24 male]; Prellarians [35]; Deians [37]; Mynieni [67]; Brecon [45]; Arcturians [35]; Andorians [50]; Tellarites [27];
===Klingon Empire===
Ethnic Klingon Warriors [44]; Dunkars [19]; Slirdarians [-6]; Hilidarians [41]; Cromargs [34]; Zoolies [14]; Yitlians [23];
===Romulan Star Empire===
Romulans [33]
===Kzinti Hegemony===
Kzintis [35 males/23 females]
===The Confederation of the Gorn===
Gorns [18]; Skoleans [-2]
===Independent groups===
Tholians [101]; Orions [21 male/13 female]; Hydrans [10];
===Lyran Star Empire===
Lyrans [43]; Ranel [10]; Phelen [40]
===The Interstellar Concordium (ISC)===
Veltressai [79]/ Veltressai quad [136]; Q'Naabians [2]; Pronhoulites [43]; Rovillians [81]; Korlivilar [111]
===More Independent groups===
Seltorians [-100 queen/30 sages/ 21 workers/experts 65]; Jindarians [141]; Vudar [65]; Paravian [17], Carnivon [48]
Help make a digital reference for GURPS by coming to the GURPS wiki and provide some information and links (such as to various Fanmade 4e Bestiaries) . Please, provide more then just a title and a page number.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 06:31 PM   #10
Skarg

You know about Memory Alpha, right?

MA on Saurians (doesn't mention any claws, and shows a human-like hand in the cartoon picture, anyway. The one here however has a long nail, maybe a short claw.)
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote