Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-26-2010, 09:58 PM   #21
malloyd

Default Re: Beast-human exploit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reikon View Post
I was hoping to find an easy solution at least for such a basic case from the book as "werewolf" =(
Personally, I find most of the problems are fixed by declaring your most expensive form must be treated as your base form - which means all your other alternate forms fall under the less expensive form case for a flat 15 points each. Admittedly this doesn't address your specific issue.

What I think does is the recognition that it's not actually "ST is cheaper because you have NFM" it's "if you have NFM you may buy your ST with a limitation". When you bought your ST up with the discount and then shift back into human form those limitations would *still be there*. That is your human form also has +5 ST (limitation NFM -40%, +1 SM -10%), it does *not* have +5 ST (no modifiers). I suppose technically since when you are human you aren't +1 SM, this is effectively an Accessibility limitation you don't currently meet the conditions of, and hence you gain no benefit at all from it while you are in human form. If you'd bought it with just the NFM discount, I'd probably permit you to apply the extra ST to tasks that would be possible without using your hands.
Old 10-27-2010, 01:47 AM   #22
The Benj

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
Personally, I find most of the problems are fixed by declaring your most expensive form must be treated as your base form - which means all your other alternate forms fall under the less expensive form case for a flat 15 points each. Admittedly this doesn't address your specific issue.

What I think does is the recognition that it's not actually "ST is cheaper because you have NFM" it's "if you have NFM you may buy your ST with a limitation". When you bought your ST up with the discount and then shift back into human form those limitations would *still be there*. That is your human form also has +5 ST (limitation NFM -40%, +1 SM -10%), it does *not* have +5 ST (no modifiers). I suppose technically since when you are human you aren't +1 SM, this is effectively an Accessibility limitation you don't currently meet the conditions of, and hence you gain no benefit at all from it while you are in human form. If you'd bought it with just the NFM discount, I'd probably permit you to apply the extra ST to tasks that would be possible without using your hands.
No, you can't have the trait with that Limitation if you don't have NFM. It's outright foolish to build it that way.
The Benj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 09:53 AM   #23
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Benj View Post
No, you can't have the trait with that Limitation if you don't have NFM. It's outright foolish to build it that way.
The whole point of this discussion is you do have NFM in one form, but not the other. It's quite permissible to buy traits that only work in one of your forms - it's *unavoidable* really, lots of skills require hands, you surely aren't going to deny werewolves the right to buy skills that can't be used without them because they sometimes lack them. And any trait could be bought with (accessibility: only in wolf form) if you want (Edit: though I might rule that's a -0% limitation myself). Essentially that's what ST (NFM, SM+1) is here, it happens to give you a somewhat more generous limitation than the version phrased as Accessible might, and really you might want to consider adding Accessible to it as an additional limitation, given that it's mostly useless in your human form. On the other hand if you are in human form and somebody polymorphs you into a giant sloth, or burns off your hands and casts an Enlarge Person spell on you....

Last edited by malloyd; 10-27-2010 at 09:56 AM.
malloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 05:30 PM   #24
The Benj

Far simpler to buy it as part of the form. What you're suggesting is a needless kludge.
The Benj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternate form, exploit, shapeshifting