Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Traveller

Old 10-24-2012, 09:10 PM   #391
Hans Rancke-Madsen

Default Re: 'Imperial Culture' (non-canonista)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal View Post
All of those "fiefs" of the nobility of the Imperium need people to work the lands, work the factories, etc. Might not any lands that are deemed to be Imperial Fiefdoms be treated as actual Imperial Territory akin to those lands deeded over for use with Starports?
Sure, in an alternate TU they might. From the (admittedly few) examples we know of, this is not how it works in the OTU. The Duke of Regina's island on Regina was donated by the world to the Imperium as personal property of the Emperor and assigned by him to the duke, but AFAICT it remains under planetary jurisdiction.

Hans
Hans Rancke-Madsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:10 PM   #392
CombineGeneral

Quote:
Originally Posted by combatmedic View Post
Religion-

The Sylean, or Imperial, Church has sent missionaries to many worlds. Joining it is not required for everyone who attains high rank, but it certainly helps smooth one's passage up the line. Some worlds are controlled by the Church. Most military chaplains are part of the Imperial Church.
LKW is on record as saying the Imperium has no official religion but there is cannon about the popularity of the Church of the Stars which is a polytheistic solar cult that worships all the stars as gods.

Quote:
There are cook-chaplains, a la Jason Taylor's set up, for Vilani troops.
Makes sense - just like the real U.S. Army, the Imperial army probably recruits chaplains for a wide range of religions to serve the spiritual needs of their troopers.

Quote:
There are also informally recognized NCO 'chaplains' for other traditions.
no, I would expect the Imperials have formal, commissioned chaplains for many, many faiths.

Quote:
The Imperium neither guarantees nor restricts the religious liberty to the people of worlds under Imperial protection. Such matters are the purview of the member states, not the Imperial authorities.
I agree with you here - the canon as it exists seems to assume this.

Quote:
Various forms of Christianity, Buddhism, Islam, etc may be found throughout the Third Imperium. Syncretic religions, Vilani religions, and other traditions are part of the mix. The Imperial Church is the highest profile religion, but hardly the only faith.
Again, LKW is on record as saying all the great religions of Earth are alive and well in the 3I. There are Jewish, Christian, Moslem, Buddhist, Hindu, Shinto, Taoist, Animist, Wiccan, etc. ad adstra Imperial citizens and all these faiths are left in peace by Imperial authorities.

Quote:
Fashion-

Imperial Court fashions are widely copied on many other worlds. It's quite common to find wealthy people in the further reaches of the Imperium wearing outdated Sylean fashions. Then again, some worlds don't follow such trends. The Imperium is diverse. Many ordinary folks barely have any contact with elite, cosmopolitan, Sylean influenced culture.
Can't disagree - much like most human cultures today.

Quote:
Language-

Galanglic is the language of the government and the military. Many people speak something else as their native tongue. People from backwater worlds may speak little or no Galangic.
Again, I agree - right out of the canon
CombineGeneral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:58 PM   #393
combatmedic
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CombineGeneral View Post
LKW is on record as saying the Imperium has no official religion but there is cannon about the popularity of the Church of the Stars which is a polytheistic solar cult that worships all the stars as gods.

Makes sense - just like the real U.S. Army, the Imperial army probably recruits chaplains for a wide range of religions to serve the spiritual needs of their troopers.

no, I would expect the Imperials have formal, commissioned chaplains for many, many faiths.

I agree with you here - the canon as it exists seems to assume this.

Again, LKW is on record as saying all the great religions of Earth are alive and well in the 3I. There are Jewish, Christian, Moslem, Buddhist, Hindu, Shinto, Taoist, Animist, Wiccan, etc. ad adstra Imperial citizens and all these faiths are left in peace by Imperial authorities.

Can't disagree - much like most human cultures today.

Again, I agree - right out of the canon
Blast from the not -too-far-back past!

I'm glad you took time to read and respond.

But you did see the 'non-canonista' right there in the thread title, yes? :)

Your Imperium is welcome in this thread, whether it tends to stick close to published sources or has developed in notably different ways.

These days, I don't even use the 3I, Vilani, or most of that other stuff.
I do use some of the ideas discussed in this thread in my Imperium (not a 'Third' Imperium) when I run Traveller, though.

Last edited by combatmedic; 10-25-2012 at 10:25 PM.
combatmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:48 AM   #394
jason taylor

"no, I would expect the Imperials have formal, commissioned chaplains for many, many faiths."

After a point that might become logistically awkward. I know the US does this, but the US hasn't done this over thousands of planets for thousands of years.

An alternative is to recruit chaplains on a unit-for-unit basis rather then by the Imperium. Perhaps on the patronage of a given noble(much like bandsmen, regimental silver, veterans fraternities or whatever might be). Or for units to elect chaplains; or something similar. That might be easier to handle then a centralized chaplaincy.

While were at it, unit patronage might be an interesting subject for a post and has historical precedent. I'll have to think about that one.

Last edited by jason taylor; 10-26-2012 at 09:52 AM.
jason taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:39 AM   #395
jason taylor

Military Patronage:

It is a common custom in the Imperium and elsewhere for distinguished figures to provide patronage for military units. This is strictly regulated in the Imperial forces to prevent divided loyalties. Basic military equipment may not be provided by patrons and neither can saleries. Nor can a patron expect his client unit to provide services in his personal interest as if they were his huscarls. Rather the custom is similar to that of the patronage of artists, scholars, or athletes. It is known however for relations of patrons to be given career favoritism though.

The form patronage takes is generally "morale assets". Examples would be ceremonial equipment, museums, and benefits for veterans and dependents. Also common is the providing of chaplaincy; the Imperium cannot be seen as officially favoring a religion in it's armed services, but individual nobles are under no such constraint.

The most famous example of this, is not in a strictly military unit but in the IISS(which of course has paramilitary aspects). Grand Princess Iphigenia has been the most famous living patron of the scouts, and has gained a great deal of devotion and appreciation from IISS personal.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:05 PM   #396
CombineGeneral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
"no, I would expect the Imperials have formal, commissioned chaplains for many, many faiths."

After a point that might become logistically awkward. I know the US does this, but the US hasn't done this over thousands of planets for thousands of years.
In most modern western militaries, chaplains have to "switch hit" and attend to the spiritual needs of servicemen of other faiths - I am sure this would be a requirement in Imperial militaries too.

I don't use the OTU, I began playing Traveller before most of the OTU was written so we developed a "Terran Empire" loosely based on Frank Herbert's Dune (it also meshed well enough with GW's miniatures line we could borrow liberally from their material as well) but we dispensed with the "god-emperor" stuff and assumed a system more like the Imperium described in the 1st Dune novel.

Quote:
An alternative is to recruit chaplains on a unit-for-unit basis rather then by the Imperium.
During the War Between the States units in both Union and Confederate service elected their own chaplains, typically ordained clergy from their local area (units were recruited by county on both sides). Maybe Imperial units use a similar system that varies by world.
CombineGeneral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:40 PM   #397
jason taylor

Quote:
In most modern western militaries, chaplains have to "switch hit" and attend to the spiritual needs of servicemen of other faiths - I am sure this would be a requirement in Imperial militaries too.
I am aware of that and I think that system awkward. It requires such difficulties as, for instance, a Muslim chaplain doing neopagan rites and continuing to be accepted by other Muslims.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:31 PM   #398
combatmedic
Banned

Quote:
I am aware of that and I think that system awkward. It requires such difficulties as, for instance, a Muslim chaplain doing neopagan rites and continuing to be accepted by other Muslims.
It does not require anything of the sort in the US armed forces.

Chaplains are not required to perform the specific rites of religions other than their own.
combatmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:21 AM   #399
Drifter

Quote:
Maybe they use a 'generic' service:

Quote:
The Agnostic's Prayer

Insofar as I may be heard by anything, which may or may not care what I say, I ask, if it matters, that you be forgiven for anything you may have done or failed to do which requires forgiveness. Conversely, if not forgiveness but something else may be required to ensure any possible benefit for which you may be eligible after the destruction of your body, I ask that this, whatever it may be, be granted or withheld, as the case may be, in such a manner as to insure your receiving said benefit. I ask this in my capacity as your elected intermediary between yourself and that which may not be yourself, but which may have an interest in the matter of your receiving as much as it is possible for you to receive of this thing, and which may in some way be influenced by this ceremony. Amen.
That seems to cover most of it.

Creatures of Light and Darkness, an old favorite.
Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:13 AM   #400
jason taylor

Quote:
It does not require anything of the sort in the US armed forces.

Chaplains are not required to perform the specific rites of religions other than their own.
That is a bit of a relief.