Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-30-2013, 03:59 PM   #11
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

Default Re: [MAGIC] Delay + Maintain Spell = D&D Wizard?

If you're going to be limited in your memorized slots and uses/day, you should not be spending FP to cast. Trying to figure out the balance for this is why I've never experimented with this method, and just loading spells into limited-use Modular Abilities slots still leaves you with the GURPS FP cost.
Old 12-30-2013, 04:05 PM   #12
Angle

Well, mine is actually intended to take abilities built for Magic as Powers- Innate attacks, affliction, flight, healing, etc. This does run into the problem that power are a lot more expensive than skills, because most of the cost for skill is in the attribute they're based off of.
Angle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 04:21 PM   #13
Pragmatic
Ceci n'est pas une tag.

One of the few mechanics (rules/"crunch") of D&D 4E that I liked was the addition of multiple classes of spells/powers for the spellcasters. It always struck me as odd that (in Basic/1E/2E) a mage casts his spell... and spends the rest of the adventure hanging in the background, hoping not to die.

So... "At Will" powers have the slots without the Limited Use requirement. That leaves "Encounter" and "Daily" powers. Does "Limited Use" have a "once per day" version (or maybe just "six hours rest, then can rememorize," as defined by D&D 4E)? And how about "once per encounter" (or maybe just "five minute rest, then can rememorize," as defined by D&D 4E)?
Old 12-30-2013, 04:23 PM   #14
Pragmatic
Ceci n'est pas une tag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angle View Post
Well, mine is actually intended to take abilities built for Magic as Powers- Innate attacks, affliction, flight, healing, etc. This does run into the problem that power are a lot more expensive than skills, because most of the cost for skill is in the attribute they're based off of.
Can you save some points by using "Alternate Abilities," at 20% of the cost for the cheaper abilities? The only disadvantages are the time to switch between abilities, and if one ability gets blocked, all of them are blocked for a while.
Old 12-30-2013, 04:24 PM   #15
namada
Banned

Last edited by namada; 09-21-2014 at 12:49 AM.
namada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 04:43 PM   #16
namada
Banned

Last edited by namada; 09-21-2014 at 12:48 AM.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:28 PM   #17
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

Quote:
Originally Posted by fartrader View Post
@Kenneth: That's an easy fix - build the modular abilities (the spells) with the Reduced Fatigue Cost modifier.

There's no need to figure out any kind of balance with Modular Abilities as it's all still just regular ol' GURPS rules.
That sounds like a good way of doing it to me. Good for getting one slot with Reduced Fatigue Cost (300) so that you can actually possibly cast Resurrection.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:38 PM   #18
Angle

Quote:
Originally Posted by fartrader View Post
I don't know where the first set of parenthetical stuff comes from - where is that?
The second st of parenthetical stuff - is that required on the spells themselves? What is that?
The first stuff is from Powers, it's fr finding the base cost of the Modular Abilities. The second set of stuff is modifiers on the Modular abilities: They define how long it takes to prepare a spell, that you can only use it once before you have to prepare it again, etc. You actually probably wouldn't put the magic limitation on the abilites in the slot, as Magical is already on the MA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth Latrans View Post
That sounds like a good way of doing it to me. Good for getting one slot with Reduced Fatigue Cost (300) so that you can actually possibly cast Resurrection.
Well, there is some worry: this is a WHOLE LOT of gurps rules, all stacked upon each other, so theres the problem of minute imbalances piling up and making the whole rather wonky.
Angle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 06:07 PM   #19
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery View Post
I think sp was suggesting to use Hang Spell instead of Delay. Just Hang the spell you want to carry around, and maintain that.
Yes, I don't get why it's better to muck around with Delay and Maintain Spell here just to do what Hang Spell does already. What am I missing?
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 08:52 PM   #20
namada
Banned

Last edited by namada; 09-21-2014 at 12:48 AM.

Tags
delay, maintain spell