Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-02-2013, 05:11 PM   #11
BetaTesterZERO

Default Re: Ghost Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
The GURPS mechanics don't do variations in how hard the job is well at all.

Personally I'd just have you buy the appropriate Wealth level, pay 5 points for never having to worry about finding work (equivalent to Tenure) and somewhere between 6 and 20 points for not actually having to show up to draw your pay (equivalent to the cost of enough Less Sleep to have as many extra "free" hours a month as you would ordinarily be expected to work - 6 would be for a modern part time job, 12 for a 40 hour week, 20 for a satanic mill sort of one (10 hours, 7 days a week, or 12 hours, 6 days).
Somewhere there is a quick quote about the possibility to fractionate working hours in exchange for also fractionate monthly gain, but does not explain how much it costs (at least I did not find anything about it).
BetaTesterZERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 05:29 PM   #12
Nosforontu

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetaTesterZERO View Post
But the calculation off Independent Income is done over the Starting Wealth. Assuming that the character does not work your financial situation is qualified as Dead Broke and so this percentage been charged on zero, to avoid this problem would be to buy Extra Money.
A characters wealth level only modifies a few things in Gurps.
1: How much money the character begins with.
2: How much money each month the charcter earns if working at a job
3: Debt and Indepenedent Income values which are purely factored by the characters starting wealth level.

Whatever STARTING Wealth level your charcter selects from the Wealth Advantages/Disadvatages is the base percentage that Independent Income or Debt is calculated by regardless of rather or not your character is working or not currently.
Nosforontu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 05:37 PM   #13
BetaTesterZERO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosforontu View Post
A characters wealth level only modifies a few things in Gurps.
1: How much money the character begins with.
2: How much money each month the charcter earns if working at a job
3: Debt and Indepenedent Income values which are purely factored by the characters starting wealth level.

Whatever STARTING Wealth level your charcter selects from the Wealth Advantages/Disadvatages is the base percentage that Independent Income or Debt is calculated by regardless of rather or not your character is working or not currently.
Did you mean that if I decide that my character does not work it does not necessarily mean that I will have the obligation to work?
Old 11-02-2013, 05:46 PM   #14
Anaraxes

Quote:
But the calculation off Independent Income is done over the Starting Wealth.
Yes. That's what I used.

Quote:
Assuming that the character does not work your financial situation is qualified as Dead Broke and so this percentage been charged on zero, to avoid this problem would be to buy Extra Money.
No, the character is dead broke if you choose to give it the Dead Broke level of Wealth as a disadvantage. The explanation for this might be that your character doesn't have a job (and he's used up all his savings and other assets). Or you might have another explanation for not having "stuff" despite the fact that the character does have a job.

And regardless of the character's Wealth level, it might or might not have a job. That's the player's decision, and it might change during the course of the game.

The concept you put in the OP is of a character that doesn't have a job, but does nevertheless have an income. This means he's not Dead Broke.

GURPS Wealth is "financial situation" in the most general terms, including contacts, mindset, money management, desire to have money in the first place. It's not just starting cash. The Wealth advantage on the character sheet doesn't change just because you get or lose a job.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 06:09 PM   #15
BetaTesterZERO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
And regardless of the character's Wealth level, it might or might not have a job. That's the player's decision, and it might change during the course of the game.
Exactly what was not clear to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
GURPS Wealth is "financial situation" in the most general terms, including contacts, mindset, money management, desire to have money in the first place. It's not just starting cash. The Wealth advantage on the character sheet doesn't change just because you get or lose a job.
Whoa! Did not know there was so much behind this concept, I think my interpretation was very superficial.

Anyway, thanks to everyone. Looks like I found the solution.
Old 11-02-2013, 06:10 PM   #16
DangerousThing

Quote:
Did you mean that if I decide that my character does not work it does not necessarily mean that I will have the obligation to work?
You get starting wealth according to your wealth level. It doesn't matter if you work or not.

That being said, your character needs to pay the cost of living for his status.

An Independent Income will do fine there. You don't even need to fake a job, the character could have investments or an allowance, whatever works for the setting and your character.

In my game the characters will have no steady income for several years, but they have savings and will earn some in game. Also a few of them have independent income.
DangerousThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 06:46 PM   #17
Fwibos

Ghost Employee?

I would prefer not to.

Eh? EH!?

No?

Ok, looks like independent income is the way. if they risk losing it, then a secret as well. Unfortunately, you need to have a wealth level to benefit from II. I suppose I might say "only for the purposes of determining Independent Income" might be a -80% limitation on Wealth. It basically makes it useless except to generate income.
Word of God and Word of Kromm are pretty much the same thing in my book
Fwibos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 06:59 PM   #18
Nosforontu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwibos View Post
Ok, looks like independent income is the way. if they risk losing it, then a secret as well. Unfortunately, you need to have a wealth level to benefit from II.
No you don't as long as your wealth level is not Dead Broke (as defined by the disadantage and not rather or not you have any money currentl) you are still going to make some money off of independent income. Even if you took the disadvantage of Wealth [Poor] and begun play with only 1/5 of your starting income (which at TL8 would be 20k/5 for 4k) each point spent on independent income would be worth 40$ a point which isn't worth much granted but it still gives a bit of bonus money to go along with his 52$ monthly pay check (if the character wishes to work of course).
Old 11-02-2013, 07:27 PM   #19
David Johnston2

Quote:
I've noticed this but the cost would become a troubling issue. Independent Income can only cover 20% of Starting Wealth that can correspond to the extra money to gain 10% of the corresponding of Average level of wealth existing in scenario. \
Starting Wealth? What does Starting Wealth have to do with it?
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 07:47 PM   #20
Nosforontu

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Starting Wealth? What does Starting Wealth have to do with it?
Confusion on what the Gurps Wealth Advantage/Disadvantage works in play versus preconcieved notions of what Wealth means outside of Gurps essentially from what I have managed to gather. From what I understand he has managed to get a much better handle on it through the forum however.

Tags
character creation, character points, character sheet, character stats