Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-15-2016, 04:46 PM   #11
Captain Joy

Default Re: Jets and Cones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Angel View Post
The screening issue is the primary thing that was giving me trouble. Cone seems to imply that even a 1-yard cone fills that 1-yard area. So, I was understanding that as meaning something solid like a hunk of stone or standing behind someone using a tower shield might block the attack, but just standing in front of someone wouldn't.
If I were GM, I'd allow the 1 yard wide cone attack to affect the first three people in line.

Quote:
I had looked at Area Attack as a way to target a line, but that seems to assume a radius around a point.
You are correct. You'd have to decide how it should effect the cost to have your area shaped like a 1-yard-wide skinny rectangle, as opposed to a circle.

My guess is if you stat these options out–cone vs jet vs area effect–they won't be that much different in cost. The greater consideration might be: do you want this to play out as a melee (jet) or ranged attack (cone or area effect)?
Captain Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 05:01 PM   #12
Johnny Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Joy View Post
If I were GM, I'd allow the 1 yard wide cone attack to affect the first three people in line.

You are correct. You'd have to decide how it should effect the cost to have your area shaped like a 1-yard-wide skinny rectangle, as opposed to a circle.

My guess is if you stat these options out–cone vs jet vs area effect–they won't be that much different in cost. The greater consideration might be: do you want this to play out as a melee (jet) or ranged attack (cone or area effect)?

Thematically, the idea was a wave of sound & force that pushed targets away. It would work in a manner similar to a cartoon scene where a fire hose sprays a line of people and they all go flying backward from the impact of the water.
Johnny Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 05:37 PM   #13
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
If there's a Technique to allow a weapon with significant Reach to sweep through multiple targets, it could be used for a Jet attack. And if there isn't one, well, make it so.
Whirlwind Attack, in the Basic Set. I don't have the book on me so I can't give a page reference but it's basically an All-Out Attack where you hit every adjacent target in a clockwise or counter-clockwise sequence and any miss causes the rest of the subsequent strike to be a miss. IIRC it's available for Staff, Spear, sword skills, Axe/Mace, Two-Handed Axe/Mace, and Polearm.

It stuck in my memory even though Techniques and Modifiers are sub-chapters I usually ignore because it was something that caught my eye for statting up some favorite videogame characters.
Old 05-15-2016, 05:53 PM   #14
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Thematically, the idea was a wave of sound & force that pushed targets away. It would work in a manner similar to a cartoon scene where a fire hose sprays a line of people and they all go flying backward from the impact of the water.
While physics say such a sound would liquify a target, we can just go with "it's magic" for this one. If we're trying to get close to the effect of Fus Ro Dah, it should actually be wider than 1 yard, and should have Requires Words or Gestures as a limitation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply Nathan View Post
Whirlwind Attack, in the Basic Set. I don't have the book on me so I can't give a page reference but it's basically an All-Out Attack where you hit every adjacent target in a clockwise or counter-clockwise sequence and any miss causes the rest of the subsequent strike to be a miss. IIRC it's available for Staff, Spear, sword skills, Axe/Mace, Two-Handed Axe/Mace, and Polearm.

It stuck in my memory even though Techniques and Modifiers are sub-chapters I usually ignore because it was something that caught my eye for statting up some favorite videogame characters.
I see no reason this couldn't work with a Jet attack, and the most I would even consider charging to allow it is a Perk to use a skill not normally associated with the Technique.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 06:13 PM   #15
Bruno

Quote:
While physics say such a sound would liquify a target
The kind of sound that liquifies a target is called "an explosion" :)

Which yes, is the kind that might toss you around, but Fus Ro Dah definitely isn't a shaped charge. It's absolutely a magic "make you move" power.

EDIT: Forgot to write the bit I was really posting about
Quote:
I see no reason this couldn't work with a Jet attack, and the most I would even consider charging to allow it is a Perk to use a skill not normally associated with the Technique.
Dungeon Fantasy: Power Ups presents Cleave, which is a technique based on rapid strike, which lets you buy off the rapid strike penalty for a veeeery specific set of circumstances that might be of interest to a Jet wielder. More generally, Rapid Strike is a way to get extra attacks with any Melee weapon, as is the Extra Attack advantage.

Last edited by Bruno; 05-15-2016 at 06:16 PM.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 12:06 AM   #16
Johnny Angel

Quote:
While physics say such a sound would liquify a target, we can just go with "it's magic" for this one. If we're trying to get close to the effect of Fus Ro Dah, it should actually be wider than 1 yard, and should have Requires Words or Gestures as a limitation.
The character using the ability is using his voice as a way to describe the attacks, but it's not necessarily a specific set of words in this case. I figured that was roughly on par with some kind of beam coming out of a hand or eyes or whatever. It's a limitation that he needs to make noise, but innate attacks seem to assume that anyway, and that seems to roughly balance out with the fact that he could be holding things in his hands and still use the ability through his mouth.

For what it's worth, it's a Supers game, so the idea of some kind of semi-cinematic sound wave which pushes a group of enemies away seemed appropriate to the genre. On the version I discussed with the player, we talked about making it either require a recharge or a FP cost... meaning that he could spend FP to use it (representing the strain of shouting) or use it without FP and have it take 5 seconds to recharge (representing that he was straining his vocals to get the attack out without using FP.)
Johnny Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 01:03 AM   #17
Nereidalbel

Quote:
The character using the ability is using his voice as a way to describe the attacks, but it's not necessarily a specific set of words in this case. I figured that was roughly on par with some kind of beam coming out of a hand or eyes or whatever. It's a limitation that he needs to make noise, but innate attacks seem to assume that anyway, and that seems to roughly balance out with the fact that he could be holding things in his hands and still use the ability through his mouth.

For what it's worth, it's a Supers game, so the idea of some kind of semi-cinematic sound wave which pushes a group of enemies away seemed appropriate to the genre. On the version I discussed with the player, we talked about making it either require a recharge or a FP cost... meaning that he could spend FP to use it (representing the strain of shouting) or use it without FP and have it take 5 seconds to recharge (representing that he was straining his vocals to get the attack out without using FP.)
Eh, it's fitting to have such a limitation, though. Think about it: most sound-based Supers can be shut down by a gag, and it's even thematic for "I yell so hard people go flying!"
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 01:25 AM   #18
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply Nathan View Post

It's from High-Tech page 179. Kromm quoted it once in answer to a question somewhere, so I'll put it here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HT179
A flamethrower can be played
over an area up to three yards
wide as an All-Out Attack. Roll
separately to hit each target.
Divide damage and burn duration
by the width of the area (round
down). For instance, an All-Out
Attack (Jet) on two men in a three-
yard area requires two attack rolls.
Each victim suffers 1/3 damage,