Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2008, 08:40 AM   #31
Pip Boy
 
Pip Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: The Wasteland
Default Re: Powers/Imbuement: Gambit's Power

But Imbuements works with skills.
What more he needs than Throwing and/or Throwing Art?
__________________
Brazilian Vault Dweller, Wanderer and Chosen One. (Feel free to correct my english grammar!)
Pip Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 08:54 AM   #32
vitruvian
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Default Re: Powers/Imbuement: Gambit's Power

Quote:
If the power was more specific, as though only cards could be charged, then using Imbuement with a Follow-up IA would make more sense.
Again, as part of an Imbuement Power, a Follow-up IA can take +50% Cosmic to be usable with *any* melee or weapon attack. This fits Gambit's power set pretty well; he might not even need the actual Imbuement advantage or Imbuement skills, just a good score in Throwing and/or Throwing Art to allow for accurate card tosses and such. So, say,

Crushing (assuming it's a concussive blast) 10d+ (Explosive +??%, Follow-Up +50%, Nuisance Effect, -10% - vector of attack takes full damage, disintegrating)

And then for larger objects, additional dice written up the same way, except also with an Accessibility, 'objects must be above a certain size'.

The nuisance effect means he doesn't want to use it on his bare hands or any weapon he's going to hold onto, or even stay close to. Might need a variable time delay added in there....
vitruvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 09:08 AM   #33
Dragyn
 
Dragyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: New Hampshire
Default Re: Powers/Imbuement: Gambit's Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pip Boy
But Imbuements works with skills.
What more he needs than Throwing and/or Throwing Art?

More specifically, just Throwing Art, as it negates the need for Throwing.

In answer, I'd have to say that as Imbuement affects the skill of throwing the weapon, or the damage done specifically by the weapon. Using it to be a carrier for the IA with Follow-up isn't really cost effective if you tie the IA to it in the first place.

Tying the IA to an item with an Accessability, like I'm doing, means that he still needs the item, but there's nothing special about the item. If you want to use Imbuements to add to the chance to hit, then go ahead, but it seems to me like then you need three developed skills (whatever imbuement skill, Throwing skill to hit, and IA to set off the IA attack), where as building it with IA alone means you only need to roll on one skill: IA.
__________________
Kevin's Outdoor, my online store.

<><
Dragyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 09:18 AM   #34
Dragyn
 
Dragyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: New Hampshire
Default Re: Powers/Imbuement: Gambit's Power

Quote:
If the power was more specific, as though only cards could be charged, then using Imbuement with a Follow-up IA would make more sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitruvian
Again, as part of an Imbuement Power, a Follow-up IA can take +50% Cosmic to be usable with *any* melee or weapon attack. This fits Gambit's power set pretty well; he might not even need the actual Imbuement advantage or Imbuement skills, just a good score in Throwing and/or Throwing Art to allow for accurate card tosses and such. So, say,

Crushing (assuming it's a concussive blast) 10d+ (Explosive +??%, Follow-Up +50%, Nuisance Effect, -10% - vector of attack takes full damage, disintegrating)

And then for larger objects, additional dice written up the same way, except also with an Accessibility, 'objects must be above a certain size'.

The nuisance effect means he doesn't want to use it on his bare hands or any weapon he's going to hold onto, or even stay close to. Might need a variable time delay added in there....
Like this?

Innate Attack (Kenetically Charged Items) 6d Cr {Explosion +50%, Variable +5%, Variable Delay (0-10 seconds) +10%, Accessability (requires item) -10%, Nuisance (damage depends on size of item) -5% [45]
:>

But does (this part of) Gambit's power really offer him any such benefits as the Imbuement skills represent? It seems to me that Imbuement is a waste of points for such a character, at least if he's really trying to mimic Gambit. If you wanted the character to have to roll against Throwing Art to hit the target, you can do that with another -10% limitation, Requires Throwing Art Roll, similar to Requires Attribute Roll. Though I might consider that a 0% Enhancement, because a near miss could still cause damage.

Now if someone wants to make a character that can imbue anything he can throw, then it makes sense to take Imbuement with whatever skills he wants to use, and Throwing Art.
__________________
Kevin's Outdoor, my online store.

<><
Dragyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 11:12 AM   #35
Pip Boy
 
Pip Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: The Wasteland
Default Re: Powers/Imbuement: Gambit's Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fragwulf
Now if someone wants to make a character that can imbue anything he can throw, then it makes sense to take Imbuement with whatever skills he wants to use, and Throwing Art.
But THAT'S Gambit's power! ;)
__________________
Brazilian Vault Dweller, Wanderer and Chosen One. (Feel free to correct my english grammar!)
Pip Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 11:50 AM   #36
Dragyn
 
Dragyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: New Hampshire
Default Re: Powers/Imbuement: Gambit's Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pip Boy
But THAT'S Gambit's power! ;)

No, it isn't.

Gambit's power is to make anything he wants to blow up. The fact that he usually throws it is nothing more than a desire not to blow up with it. :>

The thing is, you might call it 'Imbuement', but in GURPS terms, that's not necessarily the case. There's nothing in PU-1 that makes something blow up.
__________________
Kevin's Outdoor, my online store.

<><
Dragyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 01:38 PM   #37
Pip Boy
 
Pip Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: The Wasteland
Default Re: Powers/Imbuement: Gambit's Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fragwulf
No, it isn't.

Gambit's power is to make anything he wants to blow up. The fact that he usually throws it is nothing more than a desire not to blow up with it. :>

The thing is, you might call it 'Imbuement', but in GURPS terms, that's not necessarily the case. There's nothing in PU-1 that makes something blow up.
Shockwave does ("The weapon launches explosive attacks"). Cards thrown with Shockwave seems like his power to me.
And he CAN Imbue anything he can throw, so where was I wrong?

BUT, I agree that for the Gambit level of power, IA is better suited. But I'd use Imbuements AND IA together.
__________________
Brazilian Vault Dweller, Wanderer and Chosen One. (Feel free to correct my english grammar!)
Pip Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 02:03 PM   #38
Dragyn
 
Dragyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: New Hampshire
Default Re: Powers/Imbuement: Gambit's Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pip Boy
Shockwave does ("The weapon launches explosive attacks"). Cards thrown with Shockwave seems like his power to me.
And he CAN Imbue anything he can throw, so where was I wrong?

BUT, I agree that for the Gambit level of power, IA is better suited. But I'd use Imbuements AND IA together.

Technically, Gambit can imbue anything he can touch.

As for Shockwave,

Quote:
Originally Posted by PU-1 under Shockwave
Treat the weapon’s damage as if it had the Explosion modifier
(p. B104), regardless of damage type. Divide damage by
three times the distance in yards to each target.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MA under 'Throwing Art'
Thrust-3 – Crushing: Egg, ice cube*, pebble, small die, or 1”
bolt. Cutting: Credit card, playing card, poker chip, or
small coin (penny). Impaling: Blowgun dart*, chopstick,
hairpin, hypodermic syringe, knitting needle, lockpick,
pencil, or 2”-3” nail*.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basic Set p 104 Explosion Enhancement
The attack produces an explosion
at the point of impact (on a miss,
check for scatter; see p. 414). The target
takes damage normally; anything
nearby receives "collateral damage"
equal to basic damage divided (3 x the
distance in yards from the blast). If the
attack also has an Armor Divisor
(p. 102), it does not apply to this collateral
damage.
Assume that Gambit is fairly strong, say ST 14. I'd have to look up a few things and do conversions to get a real number, but he's not a powerhouse strenght-wise.

So a throwing card Imbued with Shockwave would have an explosion that deals 1d-3 damage. Hardly Gambit. At this point you've paid for the Imbue Advantage, and points in the skill Shockwave (Throwing Art) and the Throwing Art skill. Without a follow-up IA, that's just not cutting it on a super-hero scale, and the damage gained is trivial by the time you account for the IA.

It's a waste of points.

The only reason I see to use Imbue with this power is if you want to do something like Guided or Homing, perhaps Arching or Bank Shot... however, I've never seen Gambit do these things with cards or spikes/knives, though the larger focus of his powers should be capable of such things. After all, if not for Mister Sinister, he'd be much, much, more powerful.
__________________
Kevin's Outdoor, my online store.

<><

Last edited by Dragyn; 08-08-2008 at 02:06 PM.
Dragyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 06:30 PM   #39
vitruvian
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Default Re: Powers/Imbuement: Gambit's Power

Quote:
Innate Attack (Kenetically Charged Items) 6d Cr {Explosion +50%, Variable +5%, Variable Delay (0-10 seconds) +10%, Accessability (requires item) -10%, Nuisance (damage depends on size of item) -5% [45]
Follow-Up +50% (any base attack) rather than Accessibility -10%; he throws things that do their own damage, if any (minimal for cards even with Throwing Art), then the explosive damage on top of that. Being able to make *anything* explosive is an enhancement rather than a limitation, I think.

And I'd say the largest objects do considerably more than 6d, while even very light things (like cards) do respectable damage, so I'd split it into a base level +additional dice (Accessibility: only with the largest objects).

Not sure if the Nuisance Effect (blows up weapon as well as target) I proposed earlier is kosher or not; probably not.

Note that while this version of Follow-Up is made official in PU1: Imbuements, I never said that he necessarily needs the actual Imbuement advantage or any of the Imbuement skills; the Follow-Up IA is probably sufficient by itself, unless he really needs to do some other special stunts with how he throws things around.
vitruvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 11:52 AM   #40
Dragyn
 
Dragyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: New Hampshire
Default Re: Powers/Imbuement: Gambit's Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitruvian
Follow-Up +50% (any base attack) rather than Accessibility -10%; he throws things that do their own damage, if any (minimal for cards even with Throwing Art), then the explosive damage on top of that. Being able to make *anything* explosive is an enhancement rather than a limitation, I think.
I think I have to agree with that.. I was thinking about it last night, and realized that it did apply.. Though I might combine the two and make it +40% since it's not any base attack.. he doesn't do it with punches/kicks/bullets, etc. Call it Follow-Up (any object) +40%.

Might be interesting to charge an arrow, though.. hrm.. >:)

Quote:
And I'd say the largest objects do considerably more than 6d, while even very light things (like cards) do respectable damage, so I'd split it into a base level +additional dice (Accessibility: only with the largest objects).
I stopped at six out of habit from another supers game I'm in.. Certainly 10d or even more would be more appropriate. I hadn't considered base + additional, though.. that's a good thought. Maybe base it off 4d and then let additional dice have a further -10% accessibility, up to at least 10d.

Quote:
Not sure if the Nuisance Effect (blows up weapon as well as target) I proposed earlier is kosher or not; probably not.
That's my thought.. it's why I didn't include it. Seems more like a special effect to me.

Quote:
Note that while this version of Follow-Up is made official in PU1: Imbuements, I never said that he necessarily needs the actual Imbuement advantage or any of the Imbuement skills; the Follow-Up IA is probably sufficient by itself, unless he really needs to do some other special stunts with how he throws things around.
Absolutely, and the point I was making.. Imbue just seems excessive for the abilities Gambit displays, though like I said, the control that he's supposed to have over kenetics should allow most of them... perhaps he just never bothered to try.
__________________
Kevin's Outdoor, my online store.

<><
Dragyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
supers

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.