Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-20-2012, 06:54 AM   #1
Onkl

Default [MH] The Witch - what has worked for you?

Hi guys

This saturday a friend of mine will start a Monster Hunters campaign in which I will participate. I've decided that I want to play a Witch, it's my first contact with RPM.

So my question to you is: What role does the witcher play in a standart Monster Hunters game? I doubt he's a damage dealer, it seems that he is the perfect support character for the rest of the group. Am I mistaken?

What advantages did you choose for your witcher and why?

What paths did you choose to be your primary paths and why?

I'm not necessarily looking for a min/max'ed character, but since there are a a few munchkins in the group, I'd like to be able to keep up.

Also, does anybody have a list with RPM rituals up on a site somewhere? I'd like to see what you did with RPM.

Cheers

Onkl
Onkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:36 AM   #2
vierasmarius

Default Re: [MH] The Witch - what has worked for you?

I haven't played an RPM character myself, but where that system shines is when the caster has time to prepare. You may find information gathering rituals extremely helpful to learn about a target monster, its habits and weaknesses, and then tailor additional spells (perhaps as Charms or similar Conditional Rituals) to exploit those weaknesses.

As for direct damage-dealing, RPM actually allows combat magic similar to D&D's Spell Slots. You prepare Charms ahead of time that you can activate during combat. These can include far more powerful attacks than you'd be able to pull off spur-of-the-moment. Depending on how much preparation (and risk) you undertook before hand, you can unleash some truly epic spells. Of course, it's up to you to find the best strategy of spells to prepare - it may be better to use buffs, utilities, or battlefield control spells than direct magical attacks.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:46 AM   #3
Refplace

Not played one myself.
For help with spells try this
http://gurps-monsterhunters.appspot.com/
and
http://www.mygurps.com/index.php?p=i&a=1m&v=0#mh

Youll want your own consecrated space if possible and use Charms.
Compartmentalized Mind as a Spirit Helper would be useful if you can afford it.
What Rituals and Paths will depend on the campaign.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:09 AM   #4
nick_coffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Not played one myself.
For help with spells try this
http://gurps-monsterhunters.appspot.com/
For the folks using this web app, which I wrote - what other features would you like added to it?
nick_coffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:31 PM   #5
RyanW

Try not to get stuck in a single mindset. Remember that you are incredibly versatile.

It wasn't an MH game, but I GMed a short game with an RPM wizard. His magical contributions included:
  • Landslide that discouraged pursuit across a narrow ledge.
  • Broke a chain intended to wreck the boat the party was riding on.
  • Treated injuries and one case of hypothermia (caused by falling off of the aforementioned boat).
  • Critically failed an energy gathering attempt, giving the GM an excuse to introduce unholy creatures.
  • Smote an unholy creature.
  • A magic stone that had the spell equivalent of Pee-wee's Playhouse secret word. Every time somebody says the secret word, scream real loud! (He never told me what it was, but apparently no one ever said it.)
Old 11-21-2012, 01:15 PM   #6
Kalzazz

I use your RPM app a ton! Its very nice

2 features I would like added

1. On Altered Traits, a box where can type in X instead of clicking all the way to X in +1 increments would be nice (for instance you want a spell to grant Flight, worth 40 pts. It would be nice to type in 40 instead of clicking the + button 40 times

2. This is sort of a double feature, but related
a. When a spell gets to complex (to many line items) it no longer fits on 1 screen of my browser, but also no scrollbar for the browser appears to the right side of the screen. Only way to make it visible is to zoom out
b. When spells get to complex, the output no longer fits neatly in the output text box, requiring a scroll bar. But it does not allow me to copy paste the entire thing at once (just what is visible without scrolling)
I think the solution to both problems would be to add a scrollbar to the right side of the screen as is popular with websites, and to allow the output box to grow instead of adding a scrollbar there
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:26 PM   #7
Kalzazz

A couple suggestions

1. Do not get carried away with using spells a ton. Yes, you can buff all your friends repeatedly, it is awesome . . . . . except then you crit fail on some not quite needed buff. Does your friend really need +X to gun skill that badly? Just because magic is an awesome hammer resist the temptation to make every problem a nail, because quirks and crit fails are not your friends

2. If your skill is high enough (say 17-18 plus, with or without grimoires), figure out your general 'no 15s' energy! This is spells you can likely cast without dipping to 15 skill and making 17s a crit fumble . . . if you stay in the comfy 18s only range life is good

3. Path of Magic needs to be at least tied for your highest as you need it for ALL charms and conditional spells

4. Grimoires are your friends! Buy lots! Cheapy +2 grimoires are especially your friends. If you can think of a spell that may be useful try and get a +2 grimoire for it

5. One of your big jobs is to be the party healer, so make sure to invest in a good healing grimoire or at least a decent one. Try to get your skill where you can do some healing without dropping to 15 skill. Many small healing spells without dropping to 15 skill are better than one big healing spell where you drop into scary zones
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:53 PM   #8
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkl View Post
Hi guys
Ello. ^_^

Quote:
This saturday a friend of mine will start a Monster Hunters campaign in which I will participate. I've decided that I want to play a Witch, it's my first contact with RPM.
I suggest you read through those 8 pages in MH1 a couple of times to really get familiar with the system. I also suggest you glance through the forums for threads tagged with RPM. Better over-prepared than under-prepared.

Quote:
So my question to you is: What role does the witcher play in a standart Monster Hunters game? I doubt he's a damage dealer, it seems that he is the perfect support character for the rest of the group. Am I mistaken?
Oh he can be a damage dealer. Conditional spells, charms, and (pardon my self-promotion here) potions can make you really dangerous if you do it right. My girlfriend played a witch during the MH playtest and where she really shined was augmenting the members of her team and debuffing her foes. There was a particular scenario where I deprived the entire team of all their equipment except what they could scourge from their (now broken) van. I figured with a crowbar, a screwdriver, and a branch from a oak tree it might be difficult for them to kill the two werewolves that they had captured and which had then broken free. My SO being the devious girl she is got the others to keep the werewolves off of her long enough to turn all of their makeshift weapons into silver. The fight was over in seconds after that with the last were going down with a silver screwdriver shoved through its eye socket. Witch's (IMO) shine in situations like this.

Quote:
What advantages did you choose for your witcher and why?
Again, my SO's witch bought max Magery and upped her Path of Matter and Energy. Higher Magery is one of the best deals for a witch in MH but so is Luck and a decent HT.

Quote:
What paths did you choose to be your primary paths and why?
Looking at her sheet it was Matter, Energy, Body, Magic, Spirit, Undead, Mind, Crossroads, and Chance. I vaguely remember her wanting to be able to do attack spells but also to be able to buff her party as well.

Quote:
I'm not necessarily looking for a min/max'ed character, but since there are a a few munchkins in the group, I'd like to be able to keep up.
Conditional spells/charms/potions are your friend. :-)

Quote:
Also, does anybody have a list with RPM rituals up on a site somewhere? I'd like to see what you did with RPM.
The others have pointed you to good spots but if you check out my article (again apologies for my self-promotion) in this issue of pyramid I have a couple of worked examples of spells.

Ghostdancer

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:26 PM   #9
starslayer

RPM notes:

Your charms/conditional spells are for the most part going to represent what you do in combat situations- keep this in mind when designing them, and do not ignore them.

A charm/conditional spell that grants an innate attack can allow a witch to continue to use magic as there primary attack in combat situations.

Think big for your charms/conditional spells; it is more energy efficient to grant the whole party +3 to ranged attacks then to grant one party member +9.

Try to stack as much as your GM will let you keep lesser effects. Granting every party member +2 to guns, +2 to dodge, all enemies -2 to guns, -2 to dodge could cost less then granting a single enemy -3 to dodge.

Get luck, it radically increases the maximum effective RPM ritual you can put together.

If things get desperate '0 point' rituals can be a lifesaver because you can cast them from your own energy reserves/self-sacrifice in one round (heal 1d6 damage, 3d6 fireball (rock from your jacket for a lesser effect), momentary wall, etc)

Assume a good RPM 'throw weight' (skill 17+) you can do basically anything- it just takes time and risk- luck can mitigate that risk.
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:37 PM   #10
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by starslayer View Post
Try to stack as much as your GM will let you keep lesser effects. Granting every party member +2 to guns, +2 to dodge, all enemies -2 to guns, -2 to dodge could cost less then granting a single enemy -3 to dodge.
Keep in mind the rules for stacking spells. Basically you can't have two Lesser Strengthen Body spells on at the same time. So if you're going to add +2 to gun skills and +2 to Dodge they'd need to be either different Paths (say Body and Chance) or be combined into the same ritual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starslayer View Post
If things get desperate '0 point' rituals can be a lifesaver because you can cast them from your own energy reserves/self-sacrifice in one round (heal 1d6 damage, 3d6 fireball (rock from your jacket for a lesser effect), momentary wall, etc)
Wha? There is no such thing as a '0 point' ritual - you always have to pay the cost of a spell effect. So a 3d6 Fireball would still cost 18 energy [Greater Create Energy (6) + Damage, External Burning 3d (0) = 6 x 3 (greater effects multiplier)] and a Healing spell that heals 1d would cost [Lesser Restore Body (4) + Healing, 1d (0) + Subject Weight, 300 lbs (3) = 7]

Ghostdancer

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monster hunters, ritual path magic, witch