Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-01-2012, 11:49 PM   #11
Lamech

Default Re: FP/ER Regeneration And Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
However that 150 can be easily reduced by Thing like "Granted by Familiar -40%, Magical -10%" dropping it down to [75]

or as part of a Magic staff Breakable with either DR 2 or less (-20%), not especially reparable (-15%), and -15% for size. Can Be Stolen, -30% for [30]
Same thing applies for magery. In fact dance limited magery -40% is a wonderful choice.
Hiriko
Andrew
Lamech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:21 AM   #12
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamech View Post
Same thing applies for magery. In fact dance limited magery -40% is a wonderful choice.
Not the same scale while 5 levels of Margery will reduce casting cost by 1 and maintenance cost by 0.5 (round down)

Regeneration ER/FP increases rate of possible consumption (Without change maximum scale like adding more ER/FP)

Personally I Like ER (Magic) (Special Recharge -80%; Granted by Familiar, -40%) + Regeneration (ER only Talent/sec) (Granted by Familiar, -40%; Magical, -10%; Requires Concentration, -15%) for my mages. Basically they gather up ambient mana in preparation for casting but a second after they stop contrasting it starters to drain away.

of course the ER is hitting the limitation cap but I can't think of any suitable enhancements for it
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:54 AM   #13
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goober4473 View Post
Technically Mana Enhancer says it caps at 2, but it's a good comparison. Very high mana also turns failures into critical failures, but is effectively infinite regeneration, rather than 10 per second.
The effect of Very High Mana on energy cost compares quite well with Extreme FP Regeneration. The additional chance for normal critical failures, worse results for actual ones, and lesser effects in zones of mana < Normal should account for the fifty points price difference between ME2 and the Regen.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 08:01 PM   #14
Alden Loveshade

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
However that 150 can be easily reduced by Thing like "Granted by Familiar -40%, Magical -10%" dropping it down to [75]

or as part of a Magic staff Breakable with either DR 2 or less (-20%), not especially reparable (-15%), and -15% for size. Can Be Stolen, -30% for [30]
I appreciate your point--adding limitations can leave you points to buy even more cool stuff. However, I don't believe "Magical -10%" works as a limitation for Energy Reserve as such a limitation is already included.

'“Energy Reserve” (ER). They can only be used to power spells (and possibly other explicitly magical powers, at the GM’s option).' (T50, P119). Certainly you could make the built-in limitation Psi or something else other than Magical, but it's still built-in.
Alden Loveshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 04:54 AM   #15
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alden_Loveshade View Post
I appreciate your point--adding limitations can leave you points to buy even more cool stuff. However, I don't believe "Magical -10%" works as a limitation for Energy Reserve as such a limitation is already included.
Magical, -10%, as applied to an ER, means that if they are hit with a counter-magic or enter a low-/no- mana area, that the ER suffers for it the same way any other 'on' spell suffers for it.

As for ER, "Energy Reserve" is just another way of saying "Extra Fatigue with some zero-cost features". Kromm has posted about "Vitality Reserve" [2/4/+] as well, which does "Extra Hit Points with some zero-cost features". If you can apply PM, -10%, to Extra Fatigue, and I do believe you can, then you can apply PM, -10%, to ER and get the same behavior.
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 09:28 AM   #16
Edges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrunners_Fire View Post
Magical, -10%, as applied to an ER, means that if they are hit with a counter-magic or enter a low-/no- mana area, that the ER suffers for it the same way any other 'on' spell suffers for it.
Hmm. How is this different than not having the modifier? If you can't cast spells in a no-mana zone anyway, why does it matter if you have access to your ER or not? Or are you saying that your existing ER would be wiped out and when you left the zone you would have zero ER? What about low-mana? Do you have to roll at -5 on something to use your ER in a low-mana zone? If someone casts Suspend Magic on you, do you lose access to your ER for a while? Will Steal Spell give your ER to your enemies?
Edges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 10:23 AM   #17
cccwebs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edges View Post
Hmm. How is this different than not having the modifier? If you can't cast spells in a no-mana zone anyway, why does it matter if you have access to your ER or not? Or are you saying that your existing ER would be wiped out and when you left the zone you would have zero ER? What about low-mana? Do you have to roll at -5 on something to use your ER in a low-mana zone? If someone casts Suspend Magic on you, do you lose access to your ER for a while? Will Steal Spell give your ER to your enemies?
Actually it's more like a -10% limitation to prevent access to the ER (or ER regenerating) under any circumstance that would affect anything else that that has Magical, -10% on it.
cccwebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 11:05 AM   #18
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccwebs View Post
Actually it's more like a -10% limitation to prevent access to the ER (or ER regenerating) under any circumstance that would affect anything else that that has Magical, -10% on it.
Also it makes it vulnerable to Magic affecting attacks like Leech, Static and Innate Attack Fatigue targets at magic.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 11:08 AM   #19
Fred Brackin

Quote:
This a Gamist interpretation bordering on Munchkinry but "FP-usable only for Spellcasting" is a 0 pt Feature. "FP-usuable only for Spellcasting and goes away in a NMZ" might also be a 0 Pt Feature.

However "Secondary Characteristic-vulnerable to Normal Magical Countermeaures -10%" is generally as valid as any other -10% Magical Power Mod.

Now, if you don't buy Spellcasting Only some Leech or other FP attack can lower your FP pool even if you seldom use it for anything besides Spellcasting.

The big question is "What does the GM allow?". If "ER" is the only choice I might do it but if I can get regular FP with no ceiling and the Magical -10% mod I'd always do that instead.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:18 AM   #20
Tuoni

Quote:
Sounds like double dipping.

ER must be tied to a Source (Magic, Psi, etc) to being with. Therefore the situations where one's ER is unavailable are the same situations where one has no abilities to spend it on, since those abilities would also be rendered unavailable.

Kind of like putting "Not while on dry land -10%" on Amphibious, although less clear cut.
Tuoni is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
magic, regeneration