Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-18-2020, 01:39 PM   #31
cptbutton

Default Re: Is Regeneration a Disadvantage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
They would need to plug up the wound as they go, holding it fast and preventing it from healing; once you've got something that works there, Surgery should be doable relatively normally, albeit perhaps at a malus for needing to do the initial cuts quickly so you have time to wedge something in there (although an assistant following along to plug things up would help immensely). Alternatively, they'd need to use something that causes continuous damage. In that case, instead of a spoon, removing arrowheads may involve some sort of handcranked drill with a grabber fed through a hollow center - drill in, grab the arrowhead, and drill out.
So there is a need for a drug to suppress Regeneration?
Old 12-18-2020, 02:33 PM   #32
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
They would need to plug up the wound as they go, holding it fast and preventing it from healing;.
Retractors would probably do the trick well enough in the unlikely event that a regenerator actually needed surgery. Foreign objects would probably just be pushed out by the regeneration anyway.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 02:43 PM   #33
Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptbutton View Post
So there is a need for a drug to suppress Regeneration?
I vaguely remember that coming up in Marvel Comics, but I could be mistaken.

I definitely remember an issue of Nick Fury, Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. where something related to this came up. Wolverine was a guest character, so I am pretty sure it was Volume 3, issues number 27 and 28. I don't remember specifics, but I recall Wolverine being unzipped from a body bag, on an operating table, and finally getting so annoyed with whomever was helping him out by removing some slugs from his body, that he snatched the scalpel (or whatever instrument was being used), and started doing it himself. He didn't want the wounds to heal over the bullets, forcing him to work even harder to dig them out.

Note that Wolverine's healing factor, after temporarily being nerfed, was then greatly accelerated. Comic readers may recall both ultimately being due to his adamantium being forcibly removed from his skeleton via Magneto being Magneto. This comic is from a few years earlier, so Wolverine either had Regeneration (Regular) or Regeneration (Fast). It would have been really bad if he'd had any faster forms. That being said, I'm not assuming it to be the rule for Regeneration; it makes about as much sense to argue that, as wounds heal, foreign bodies are slowly pushed out by new tissue.
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 05:35 PM   #34
Žorkell
Icelandic - Approach With Caution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
Oh, yeah, that might be part of the practical side of things, especially in a more grounded campaign with firearms; removing bullets before they - and any clothing/grime around them - are trapped in healing wounds. I don't know medicine or firearms all that well, but I was under the impression that such a thing can be an issue in real life, with mundane healing.
In the X-Men films Wolverine, who has Regeneration at about this level, expels the bullets and other stuff that has entered his body through wounds while he's healing. Is there anything in the description of the Regeneration advantage that suggests that this isn't the case with the advantage?

Viking kittens | My photos | More of my photos
Žorkell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 06:20 PM   #35
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Žorkell View Post
In the X-Men films Wolverine, who has Regeneration at about this level, expels the bullets and other stuff that has entered his body through wounds while he's healing. Is there anything in the description of the Regeneration advantage that suggests that this isn't the case with the advantage?
GURPS doesn't address bullets remaining inside wounds in the first place, and it only addresses cleaning wounds in the context of preventing infection (as written, regeneration does not affect infection rolls, but since infection is 1 point per day and doesn't prevent healing the injury (unless you consider it a special case of disease, which is possible but not specified), is completely irrelevant in combination with regeneration).
Old 12-18-2020, 06:46 PM   #36
Otaku

Quote:
Before I answer any of this... did you read my most recent comment? It was made not quite three hours before yours, and I believe it answers your question, or at least, part of your question.
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Old 12-19-2020, 12:55 PM   #37
mburr0003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alden Loveshade View Post
I know, the question, "Is Regeneration a Disadvantage" probably sounds silly.
John Wick is one of your GMs isn't he?

Or at least an adherent of his...
Old 12-19-2020, 04:53 PM   #38
Žorkell
Icelandic - Approach With Caution

Quote:
Before I answer any of this... did you read my most recent comment? It was made not quite three hours before yours, and I believe it answers your question, or at least, part of your question.
Yeah, I read your post. I may be misunderstanding something but I see nothing in it that answers my question.

Viking kittens | My photos | More of my photos
Žorkell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 07:45 PM   #39
Otaku

Quote:
Yeah, I read your post. I may be misunderstanding something but I see nothing in it that answers my question.
I dunno. Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, or the rules in general. The part I thought was relevant was

Quote:
That being said, I'm not assuming it to be the rule for Regeneration; it makes about as much sense to argue that, as wounds heal, foreign bodies are slowly pushed out by new tissue.
Re-reading Regeneration in both Characters and Powers, re-reading the healing section in Campaigns makes me think that, anywhere the rules for Regeneration do not explicitly state the difference between how natural healing and Regeneration will work, then I ought not assume they are the same. They still could be the same, though. Also, pardon me if I end up thinking I said something I didn't. I keep on trying to make my full case, then realizing I've got a half (or more) page response as I try to tackle the topic from multiple angles. With re-reading Basic and Powers, looking for answers, I can really see this going either way. If you have a fast-paced Supers game that only rolls to see if something is crippled when it is "context important"... yeah, just assume Regeneration fixes the leg properly. If I want one of those superhero stories grounded with selective realism, this is probably one of the places to apply it, but warn everyone ahead of time.

If you're just talking about the example from the Fox X-Men films... yeah, it is an example of it being handled the opposite way. I didn't bring up my example to "prove" I was "right" and that it should always be handled that way, just that at least one time it was handled that way in a Marvel comic about everyone's favorite Canucklehead. Granted, "...in an official, professional comic" isn't all that high of a standard. Nor is it happening in an adaptation of that source material. They don't cancel each other out, anymore than how Wolverine's healing factor from the Ultimate sub-line behaves should be seen as authoritative with respect to the other versions.

With regards to expelling foreign matter, it is quite possible the specifics matter. Small objects in shallow wounds are expelled, larger objects or deep enough wounds result in the body healing around the object.

Last edited by Otaku; 12-20-2020 at 09:14 AM. Reason: Revised a few things, but the tone and main points remain the same.
Old 12-20-2020, 02:08 AM   #40
spacemonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
GURPS doesn't address bullets remaining inside wounds in the first place, and it only addresses cleaning wounds in the context of preventing infection (as written, regeneration does not affect infection rolls, but since infection is 1 point per day and doesn't prevent healing the injury (unless you consider it a special case of disease, which is possible but not specified), is completely irrelevant in combination with regeneration).
Gurps does mention foreign matter in the body in at least 1 spot, teleport perk expulsion in Psionic Powers p 69 covers it. Seems like a reasonable cost and name for a regen perk as well.
spacemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crippled leg, crippling, regeneration