Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2020, 01:02 PM   #181
Anders
 
Anders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Default Re: What do you want for the 35-year anniversary?

Slightly off-topic but I've been thinking about making a castle-design system the same way. Start with a basic keep, then add things like external walls, fortified gates, etc. as Cost Factors.
__________________
“When you arise in the morning think of what a privilege it is to be alive, to think, to enjoy, to love ...” Marcus Aurelius
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 01:24 PM   #182
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated
 
Turhan's Bey Company's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping
Default Re: What do you want for the 35-year anniversary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Slightly off-topic but I've been thinking about making a castle-design system the same way. Start with a basic keep, then add things like external walls, fortified gates, etc. as Cost Factors.
Somewhere, I've got an article I never submitted to Pyramid which takes a modular approach, providing pre-built components from which to build a castle: pick some options for materials and "weight" of fortification (that is, short, narrow walls vs. high thick ones), then just buy towers and keeps from a table and y yards of curtain wall.
__________________
I've been making pointlessly shiny things, and I've got some gaming-related stuff as well as 3d printing designs.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 01:31 PM   #183
Anders
 
Anders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Default Re: What do you want for the 35-year anniversary?

That's how Swedish D&D handled it. And each component had a Troop Strength which added to defending force (provided the component was fully manned).
__________________
“When you arise in the morning think of what a privilege it is to be alive, to think, to enjoy, to love ...” Marcus Aurelius
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 02:02 PM   #184
(E)
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: New Zealand.
Default Re: What do you want for the 35-year anniversary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turhan's Bey Company View Post
Somewhere, I've got an article I never submitted to Pyramid which takes a modular approach, providing pre-built components from which to build a castle: pick some options for materials and "weight" of fortification (that is, short, narrow walls vs. high thick ones), then just buy towers and keeps from a table and y yards of curtain wall.
Somewhere around the depths of my PC is a draft for a village building system, which is technically accurate but suffers from being able to curdle milk at 50 paces.
__________________
Waiting for inspiration to strike......
And spending too much time thinking about farming for RPGs
Contributor to Citadel at Nordvörn
(E) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 02:14 PM   #185
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated
 
Turhan's Bey Company's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping
Default Re: What do you want for the 35-year anniversary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by (E) View Post
Somewhere around the depths of my PC is a draft for a village building system, which is technically accurate but suffers from being able to curdle milk at 50 paces.
Which is why you should never offend a witch while you're working on an article.
__________________
I've been making pointlessly shiny things, and I've got some gaming-related stuff as well as 3d printing designs.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 02:14 PM   #186
Proteus
 
Proteus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Houston, TX
Default Re: What do you want for the 35-year anniversary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Slightly off-topic but I've been thinking about making a castle-design system the same way. Start with a basic keep, then add things like external walls, fortified gates, etc. as Cost Factors.
I seem to remember a similarly modular system in first-edition AD&D's DMG.

Making the pieces, using the rules in the Low Tech Companions, should just be a labor of love and math.
__________________
— - — - — - — - — - — - — - — - — - — - —
Looking for a GURPS game in Houston, Texas.

Last edited by Proteus; 12-16-2020 at 02:49 PM.
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 02:35 PM   #187
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics
 
DouglasCole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Burnsville, MN
Default Re: What do you want for the 35-year anniversary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proteus View Post
I seem to remember a similarly modular system in first-edition AD&D's DMG.
I swear I got into trouble every week with my mother because I was always in my room building castles with this system. Every. Week.

(She wanted me to be "normal." I never did quite manage that.)
__________________
Gaming Ballistic, LLC
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 02:49 PM   #188
Christopher R. Rice
 
Christopher R. Rice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Portsmouth, VA, USA
Default Re: What do you want for the 35-year anniversary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
I swear I got into trouble every week with my mother because I was always in my room building castles with this system. Every. Week.

(She wanted me to be "normal." I never did quite manage that.)
Same. Hard same.
__________________
My Twitter
My w23 Stuff
My Blog

Latest GURPS Book: Realm Management
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 03:07 PM   #189
Agemegos
 
Agemegos's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Oz
Default Re: What do you want for the 35-year anniversary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
I would note that, if you really care about the physics and engineering calculations, you can do both of those things without involving GURPS at all, you only really need to involve yourself with GURPS at the point you're converting the physics and engineering into game statistics.
The problem for many enthusiasts (such, I confess, as myself), including GURPS book authors, is that the distinctions and features that one cares about in ones profession or hobby are, in a dispassionate appreciation, quite a bit less significant than +1 on a 3d6 under/over or typical GURPS damage roll. A lot of GURPS' forbidding mass is an accumulation of enthusiasts' darlings that ought to have been ruthlessly rounded off.
__________________

© copyright Brett Evill
Discussion of FLAT BLACK
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 03:42 PM   #190
Anthony
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Berkeley, CA
Default Re: What do you want for the 35-year anniversary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agemegos View Post
The problem for many enthusiasts (such, I confess, as myself), including GURPS book authors, is that the distinctions and features that one cares about in ones profession or hobby are, in a dispassionate appreciation, quite a bit less significant than +1 on a 3d6 under/over or typical GURPS damage roll. A lot of GURPS' forbidding mass is an accumulation of enthusiasts' darlings that ought to have been ruthlessly rounded off.
Or are much more situational than a simple bonus. For example, at a distance of 20 yards, the difference between 1 MoA and 5 MoA is an inch, which isn't going to make a measurable difference unless you're trying to hit eyes or shoot fingers off, but at 1,000 yards it matters quite a bit.
__________________
My GURPS site and Blog.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
anniversary, gurps

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.