Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-27-2014, 07:37 AM   #1
Arith Winterfell

Default Regeneration requiring meditation

I'm working on a magic system for my fantasy setting mostly using GURPS spell system, however instead of using a spell to recover lost energy I wanted to use Regeneration with Energy Reserve Only and it requiring the mage to enter into a state of meditation using the mediation skill. How would I go about stating up the cost of requiring being in a meditative state? And what limitations should I take overall?
Arith Winterfell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 07:59 AM   #2
Mathulhu

Default Re: Regeneration requiring meditation

Have you thought about using the mechanics from breath control?

Or you could change the flavour of the recover energy spell. I don't like that but it's an idea.

Regeneration with requires skill roll is probably too expensive to be combined with the normal magic system.
Old 10-27-2014, 08:26 AM   #3
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

First Start with ER(Special Recharge) -70% if you can store that gathered or -80% if is started to drain away as soon as you stop concentrating.

Regeneration (Very Fast) used as a base to 1/sec regeneration so I can justify talent/sec as +0%, Though you might let Fast become talent/min so a Base cost of 100

Regeneration (talent/sec, ER only) (Granted by Familiar, -40%; Magical, -10%; Requires Concentration, -15%; Requires (Skill/meditation) Roll, -5%) [30]

Regeneration (talent/min, ER only) (Granted by Familiar, -40%; Magical, -10%; Requires Concentration, -15%; Requires (Skill/meditation) Roll, -5%) [15]

Regeneration (talent/hr, ER only) (Granted by Familiar, -40%; Magical, -10%; Requires Concentration, -15%; Requires (Skill/meditation) Roll, -5%) [8]

Regeneration (talent/12 hr, ER only) (Granted by Familiar, -40%; Magical, -10%; Requires Concentration, -15%; Requires (Skill/meditation) Roll, -5%) [3]

a mediation roll to maintain the concentration over those periods. My setting typical use the Familiar bonds as a 'net' which they use to enhance there access to mana. [if the familiar isn't present then the net is too thin]

An alternative is to replace the Granted by Familiar limitation with Gadget limitations, and you then have a Wizard's staff such as:
Regeneration (talent/sec, ER only) (Breakable [DR2], -20%; SM-3, -15%; Can Be Stolen [DX roll, does not work for thief], -15%; Magical, -10%; Requires Concentration, -15%; Requires (Skill/meditation) Roll, -5%) [20]

Last edited by roguebfl; 10-27-2014 at 12:05 PM.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 11:45 AM   #4
Varyon

Roguebfl's idea of Talent/Time regeneration may be on the right track. One thing you'll want to consider is precisely what requiring meditation means. If it requires you to simply make a Meditation check every so often, that's Requires Will Roll, with Will floated over to Meditation, at -5%. If it requires you to maintain concentration - with subsequent Concentration maneuvers - that's Requires Concentrate at -15%. If it prevents you from defending yourself while concentrating, that's All Out at -25% (arguably, this should allow you to move around at half move and maybe get a +4 to your Meditation check, if needed; getting rid of these ability is arguably enough to bump it to -30% or -35%). If you must sit while doing it, that's arguably Temporary Disadvantage (Lame: Paraplegic)* at -30%. If you must close your eyes while doing it, that's Temporary Disadvantage (Blindness) at -50%. Mix and match as you see fit, but note that Requires Concentrate and All Out are incompatible.

*EDIT: A quick look through Bio-Tech indicates No Legs: Sessile is actually more common, at -50%.

Last edited by Varyon; 10-27-2014 at 11:58 AM.
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 12:53 PM   #5
Arith Winterfell

Interesting. I lack bio-tech the book though. : /

Generally the idea i had in my head was it requires a meditation check to start (but not to maintain). It requires full on sitting down, focused meditation (maybe eyes closed), and in short can't be done in the middle of something like combat.
Arith Winterfell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 02:54 PM   #6
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arith Winterfell View Post
Interesting. I lack bio-tech the book though. : /
No need for it - Temporary Disadvantage (as well as both Lame and No Legs) are from the Basic Set. The comment was simply to note that TD (Legless: Sessile) -50% is canonically valid as a "you lose the ability to move around" Limitation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arith Winterfell View Post
Generally the idea i had in my head was it requires a meditation check to start (but not to maintain). It requires full on sitting down, focused meditation (maybe eyes closed), and in short can't be done in the middle of something like combat.
Requires Meditation -5% (which is from Powers) requires a Meditation roll every minute. For something where a single Meditation roll is enough for an unlimited amount of Meditation, you're arguably below system resolution, for +0%. Alternatively, you could do a hack of applying Once On, Stays On +50% (also from Powers) to the Limitation, which would drop it to around -2.5% if we're being generous. Requiring you to sit down and stay down is probably about right for Temporary Disadvantage (No Legs: Sessile) -50%, and requiring you to close your eyes is Temporary Disadvantage (Blindness) -50%, and finally the need for constant Concentration is either (depending on if you can mount a more-or-less incompetent defense) Requires Concentrate -15% or All Out -25% (Powers again, for both). Keep in mind, of course, that you cannot get more than -80% - if you applied more-or-less all of the above, you'd easily be at over -100%.

My suggestion would be to have the basic version be something like Fast Regeneration (ER Only +0%, Requires Initial Meditation Roll +0%, Temporary Disadvantage: Blindness and Sessile -100%) [10]. This can be "leveled up" in a variety of ways. The obvious one is to boost it to Very Fast, which will drop the Temporary Disadvantages to -80% (you can't get more points back for Temporary Disadvantage than 80% of what the trait would be worth on its own), for [20]. You could then boost that to Extreme, regenerating 10 ER every second, for [70]. Another option is to let characters buy off at least the Blindness, changing the above costs to [25], [60], and [110]. You could also allow characters to buy ER Recovery instead of ER Only, at +100%, for [50], [120], and [220], to let them get HP back at the same time.
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 07:02 AM   #7
T.K.

Hmmm...if EVERY mage in the setting needs to meditate to recover...isn't it just a setting feature, costing not points?

By what the OP said there's no other way to replenish energy, so everyone would abide by these laws. If that's the case, you simply define how it works and there's no need to stat it, isn't it?

Also, even if that's not the case, I believe you people are forgetting the fact that by the base system a mage already has the ability to regenerate his ER, so this form is a worse form of Regen and thus should be a disad not cost anything to the caster, as all the builds were done so far.

To me, if you want to stat this, you should first define what a "normal" regen rate would be, for example, 1 ER every 2min (what could be achieved with the Energy Recover Spell), calculate what that translate into points if your using, for example, Spell-as-Powers approach and THEN limit that to requires Meditation and everything else you want it to work.

Last edited by T.K.; 10-28-2014 at 07:09 AM.
T.K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 07:18 AM   #8
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.K. View Post
Hmmm...if EVERY mage in the setting needs to meditate to recover...isn't it just a setting feature, costing not points?
No no no. Even if it is a setting required advantage or disadvantage it still has a point cost, but as point cost that budged in the campaigns budget. And even more important in the case as not everyone is going to be a mage so no requared to buy it.

Quote:
Also, even if that's not the case, I believe you people are forgetting the fact that by the base system a mage already has the ability to regenerate his ER, so this form is a worse form of Regen and thus should be a disad not cost anything to the caster, as all the builds were done so far.
No we're NOT forgetting the Fact that the point of the "Special Recharge" Limitation to ER.
Old 10-28-2014, 07:44 AM   #9
T.K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
No we're NOT forgetting the Fact that the point of the "Special Recharge" Limitation to ER.
Normal ER - 3pts/lvl, you get 6 ER back per hour.

Your ER - 1pt/lvl+8pts(h/regen), you get 1 ER back per hour when you're sitting, with closed eyes, after passing a skill roll, while having a cat at your shoulders!

Do you truly believe that's correct?
T.K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 07:52 AM   #10
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Normal ER - 3pts/lvl, you get 6 ER back per hour.

Your ER - 1pt/lvl+8pts(h/regen), you get 1 ER back per hour when you're sitting, with closed eyes, after passing a skill roll, while having a cat at your shoulders!

Do you truly believe that's correct?
it just means that the talent/hour and talent/12hr vertion are not good deal with special recharge but as and adational kicker on normal... However

the talent/min and talent/sec are extent deals as the give by 60*talent/hour and 3600*talent/hour.
Both of which as finish what your done meditated and your pack and ready to go again.

Tags
fatigue, magic spells, meditation, regeneration