Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-13-2013, 04:12 PM   #1
PTTG

Default Idle Lore Question: IW and Toon?

It occurred to me that, somewhere out there, there has to be at least one Toon universe out in that big Infinite Worlds metaverse.

I imagine that would be an extremely interesting, if mechanically problematic crossover adventure. Call it Crosstime Jam.

Cross-space being too on-the-nose.
PTTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 05:09 PM   #2
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

Default Re: Idle Lore Question: IW and Toon?

I think Powers had some modifiers for Shadow Form that could help as the basis for a Toon template, along with some form of Unkillable/Injury Tolerance/Regeneration.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:22 PM   #3
Psychotime

There was an old thread where someone made a template for a 1940's Warner Bros, MGM/Tex Avery cartoon type of invincibility. Kinda frightening when brought into a relatively realistic setting.
Old 09-14-2013, 07:02 AM   #4
Phantasm

Hmm, would toons have IT: Diffuse, or Regrowth (Reattachment Only)? Being strained through a grate or getting chopped in half never seems to do anything other than slow them down (they're back together in the next scene...).

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 09:19 AM   #5
johndallman
Night Watchman

It'll be easier to represent the PCs in Toon than Toons in GURPS.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 12:33 PM   #6
Miles

^ That's probably how I would handle it. Toon isn't a world where everyone happens to have amusing superpowers, it's one where the laws of the universe are totally different. Translate the PCs over and tell the players to exaggerate their characters' personalities x10. Conversely, if you take a toon native to any other dimension, it should turn into a normal human or non-talking animal.
Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 12:46 PM   #7
Ze'Manel Cunha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles View Post
^ That's probably how I would handle it. Toon isn't a world where everyone happens to have amusing superpowers, it's one where the laws of the universe are totally different. Translate the PCs over and tell the players to exaggerate their characters' personalities x10. Conversely, if you take a toon native to any other dimension, it should turn into a normal human or non-talking animal.
You don't need to translate the PCs, you just have different natural laws, the PCs appearance changes from real to drawn, but it's cause and effect that are totally different in the setting, just like in Cool World (1992)*.

*Really?, that movie is 21 years old?, really? (sigh)
Ze'Manel Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 02:55 PM   #8
Phantasm

The real trick - and what I suspect the OP was going for - would be having a toon (or a Cool World "doodle") as a PC in an ISWAT game away from the toon's cartoon-physics world and retaining most of what s/he's capable of in what we would call the "real" world.

Think Who Framed Roger Rabbit with the toons and regulars operating side by side in the real world, rather than Space Jam or Cool World with non-toons visiting the cartoon world.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 05:30 PM   #9
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

And we already have chemical treatments for allowing characters of "impossible" size/weight ratios to stay alive, including the side-effect of rounding all the super tiny humans' ST scores upwards to 1. So making an "I continue to break physics" drug that the toons need to keep taking doses of wouldn't be out of line.

Possibly distilled laughter or derived from an exotic ink, among other ingredients.
Old 09-16-2013, 04:41 PM   #10
robkelk
Untitled

I mentioned this thread to Robert M. Schroeck, and he replied:
Quote:
You might want to pass on to that thread that back in 1996 I ran a GURPS Multigenre tournament at Dexcon that released Toons into a number of different settings -- culminating in the World of Darkness. See way at the bottom of this archive from SJG -- Beth McCoy mentions it, along with one of its crowning scenes, the defense of Count Chocula before the Prince of New York... by a Malkavian.
So there's precedent...
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campaign, infinite worlds, lore, toon