Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-02-2018, 12:24 PM   #1
Devil_Dante

Default blink other spell help

According to Magic p 149, blink other is like blink but on others.
Now, what does it mean? I can use on my allies when they are threatened? Or on a foe that is attacking my ally (with no resistance roll allowed)?
What about the range of the spell? I should use the rule of regular spells for distance modifier?

Thanks for clarification
Devil_Dante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 12:53 PM   #2
weby

Default Re: blink other spell help

There has been no official word on the interpretation as far as I know.

The way most people read it, it works as follows:
-It is cast as reaction to someone being attacked.
-It is cast on the target of the attack and thus has normal range penalties to the target. (This is the most unclear/uncertain part and could well be ruled that there is no range penalty as none is listed under blocking spells)
-There is resistance listed and thus not needed.
-The target of the attack is moved the same way as if he had himself cast the blink spell.

But I have been a player in a campaign where the GM saw it as blinking the attacker and in one of the past threads on the subject there was someone else too who had similar view. But my reading of the spell really cannot see how that would be the case.
Old 10-02-2018, 01:06 PM   #3
Devil_Dante

thanks, it's pretty much how i red it

I suppose that if the target doesn't want to blink, the spell simply doesn't work
Old 10-02-2018, 01:53 PM   #4
Nosforontu

Quote:
Originally Posted by weby View Post
There has been no official word on the interpretation as far as I know.

-There is resistance listed and thus not needed.
While I agree with most of your interpretations of the spell these this element needs to be addressed somewhat. Neither Blink nor Blink Other has a resistance roll listed for the spell.

This in itself might not be an issue when using the spell on yourself or an ally as the spell was intended. However, nothing in the spell description says it has to be cast on an ally... Which can be an issue since the target of a blink spell must make a Body sense roll or DX -6/Acrobatics -3 or take the do nothing action next turn. Repeat this cycle as needed until the wizard runs out of Fatigue at 2pts a round until the target is dead.

Not entirely sure how big of an exploit this is since you probably need at least three characters going after one opponent but it feels exploitative
Nosforontu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 05:06 PM   #5
Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosforontu View Post
While I agree with most of your interpretations of the spell these this element needs to be addressed somewhat. Neither Blink nor Blink Other has a resistance roll listed for the spell.

This in itself might not be an issue when using the spell on yourself or an ally as the spell was intended. However, nothing in the spell description says it has to be cast on an ally... Which can be an issue since the target of a blink spell must make a Body sense roll or DX -6/Acrobatics -3 or take the do nothing action next turn. Repeat this cycle as needed until the wizard runs out of Fatigue at 2pts a round until the target is dead.

Not entirely sure how big of an exploit this is since you probably need at least three characters going after one opponent but it feels exploitative
Very exploitative if you can Blink Other someone off a cliff, inside a solid object, etc. I would assess a resistance roll on an unwilling target at least.
Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 05:58 PM   #6
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnome View Post
Very exploitative if you can Blink Other someone off a cliff, inside a solid object, etc.
You might give the subject of the Blink Other the choice of destination hex. (This is consistent with Blink, which happens to the be special case when the caster is the subject.) If nothing else, that might cause a caster to hesitate to apply it to an enemy. Yes, it stops an attack -- but also gives them a free move, so there's a tradeoff to weigh.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 06:05 PM   #7
Not another shrubbery

Blink Other is intended for use on willing allies, as a way to give them a 'dodge' remotely*. Like other Blocking spells that can be used at range, it should be treated as a Regular spell for accruing distance penalties.

*Kromm ruled on this several years years ago, here.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 05:22 AM   #8
Devil_Dante

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery View Post
Blink Other is intended for use on willing allies, as a way to give them a 'dodge' remotely*. Like other Blocking spells that can be used at range, it should be treated as a Regular spell for accruing distance penalties.

*Kromm ruled on this several years years ago, here.
thanks! i have searched throughout the forum but didn't find it! was my interpretation anyway (both for resistance and range penalty).

Tags
blink other