Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2016, 04:41 AM   #81
HANS
 
HANS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Berlin, Germany
Default Re: Shooting Dice Blog with GURPS content

Thursday is GURPS day!

In "Tactical Shooting: Street Kings" I look in detail at a scene of that film, which is especially illustrative regarding the use of tactical lights.

Cheers

HANS
__________________
I blog at Shooting Dice.
HANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 06:00 AM   #82
Tomsdad
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Brighton
Default Re: Shooting Dice Blog with GURPS content

Quote:
Originally Posted by HANS View Post
Thursday is GURPS day!

In "Tactical Shooting: Street Kings" I look in detail at a scene of that film, which is especially illustrative regarding the use of tactical lights.

Cheers

HANS
Excellent write up cheers!

Quick question though about light penalties while shooting at sources of light.

Take for instance

"6th Second: Ludlow takes an All-Out Attack (Determined) manoeuvre and fires one two-handed sighted shot at a white light; -6 (size) +0 (range) -5 (darkness) +1 (All-Out Attack) +1 (Weapon Bond) = -9 to Guns (Pistol)"


-9 is a pretty hard shot, but I can see how in abstract shooting at an 8" object up to 2 yards away in a badly lit room would be a hard shot.

It's just it seems a bit strange to me that if you were shooting at a similar sized object that wasn't emitting light in the same room and at the same range it would be as hard as shooting at the light source in that room*?



Now I don't think it's going to negate the illumination penalty entirely but I'd have thought that if your lining up your sights at one of the main light source the issue of illumination probably shouldn't be as great as shooting in the environment in general?

They'd be contrast benefit if nothing else (although I can see they're might be dazzle effect as well).


Anyway not a question about your write up but a question about your opinion on how illumination penalties work in GURPS.

A similar situation would be shooting out search lights at night


*unless you're assuming that light penalty includes the light being directly in view, and it would be worse if you were aiming away from it.

Last edited by Tomsdad; 11-18-2016 at 06:05 AM.
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 02:29 PM   #83
johndallman
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Cambridge, UK
Default Re: Shooting Dice Blog with GURPS content

Is the damage from the two pi++ shots, to the Vitals and Skull, correct?

I've understood the relevant paragraphs on B399, which say "increase the wounding modifier to X3 (or X4)," to mean the attack's own wounding modifier is not longer relevant, and is replaced by X3 or X4, rather than being retained and multiplied by X3 or X4.

If it works that way, the average damage rolls would be 21 and 28, rather than 42 and 56.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 03:52 AM   #84
HANS
 
HANS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Berlin, Germany
Default Re: Shooting Dice Blog with GURPS content

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomsdad View Post
Now I don't think it's going to negate the illumination penalty entirely but I'd have thought that if your lining up your sights at one of the main light source teh issue of illumination probably shouldn't be as great as shooting in the environment in general?
Darkness limits your ability to see the sights. If the target itself is a light, that doesn't help. That said, you're probably right that it would be easier to make out the target and that therefore the penalty should be less.

Cheers

HANS
__________________
I blog at Shooting Dice.
HANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 03:53 AM   #85
HANS
 
HANS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Berlin, Germany
Default Re: Shooting Dice Blog with GURPS content

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
Is the damage from the two pi++ shots, to the Vitals and Skull, correct?

I've understood the relevant paragraphs on B399, which say "increase the wounding modifier to X3 (or X4)," to mean the attack's own wounding modifier is not longer relevant, and is replaced by X3 or X4, rather than being retained and multiplied by X3 or X4.

If it works that way, the average damage rolls would be 21 and 28, rather than 42 and 56.
You're right. Corrected.

Cheers

HANS
__________________
I blog at Shooting Dice.
HANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 04:00 AM   #86
Tomsdad
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Brighton
Default Re: Shooting Dice Blog with GURPS content

Quote:
Originally Posted by HANS View Post
Darkness limits your ability to see the sights. If the target itself is a light, that doesn't help. That said, you're probably right that it would be easier to make out the target and that therefore the penalty should be less.

Cheers

HANS
Cool,

Cheers

TD
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 07:58 AM   #87
johndallman
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Cambridge, UK
Default Re: Shooting Dice Blog with GURPS content

Quote:
Originally Posted by HANS View Post
You're right. Corrected
Glad to have confirmation.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 02:18 AM   #88
HANS
 
HANS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Berlin, Germany
Default Re: Shooting Dice Blog with GURPS content

My latest post covers the H&K MR223 carbine.

Cheers

HANS
__________________
I blog at Shooting Dice.
HANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 02:45 AM   #89
HANS
 
HANS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Berlin, Germany
Default Re: Shooting Dice Blog with GURPS content

Thursday is GURPS day!

My latest post deals with the Air Rifle issued by the Amtrak Federation in Patrick Tilley's awesome series The Amtrak Wars.

Cheers

HANS
__________________
I blog at Shooting Dice.
HANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 11:24 PM   #90
AOTA
 
AOTA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Olathe, KS
Default Re: Shooting Dice Blog with GURPS content

Quote:
Originally Posted by HANS View Post
Thursday is GURPS day!

My latest post deals with the Air Rifle issued by the Amtrak Federation in Patrick Tilley's awesome series The Amtrak Wars.

Cheers

HANS
OMG! I got into the Amtrak Wars when I was in England in the late 80's. I found that Dark Visions: An Illustrated Guide to the Amtrak Wars book at a news stand and was hooked. There are a lot of fun ideas in that series and several very weird ones. Like my the Japanese invaded the east coast instead of the west. You are correct it would make fun After the End game.
__________________
Bob Gilson
Mib#3477
Formally Bobzilla
GURPS Checker for Prime Directive
AOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
blogs, gun fu, guns, high-tech, martial arts, tactical shooting

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.