Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-13-2009, 05:32 PM   #191
combatmedic
Banned

Default Re: GURPS Fantasy , shared world, recruiting

Ha! Yes, I juggled Kroekos' points, to give him a higher Spear skill. He wasn't 'min-maxed' because I threw him together on the spot to satisfy a certain someone's demands for more stats and crunchy bits. ;)

Now, let's take a break from the business about point values and who has the biggest wang [for the record, it's Kroekos]. Geeze, you GURPS guys and your desire to stat everything to the last detail...
:)

Seriously, though, glad to see people are having a good discussion, and doing work on their sections.

Threlgar's Empire is indeed the 'central area.' That gives us a core for the world.
combatmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 05:33 PM   #192
Agramer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threlgar View Post

I could do a "Who is who" of the Empire, Hellas and Avernia, I still remember much of this.
Would be great if you could make Empire (basic province).

Write Who is who and some tips on Hellas/Avernia/Hattusa/HAnan ...though leave free reign to anyone who wants to "work it up".

Also you could writeup basics and than "List of wishes/parts" for others to fill/writeup.

Great community...give it a try :)
Agramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 05:45 PM   #193
combatmedic
Banned

Quote:
Gods work behind the scenes, or at a distance, most of the time. The appearance of a deific avatar would be a highly unusual event, but it has happened before.

Champions of the gods exist- I had already mentioned the possibility of 'clerics' with Power Investiture. Such people are not terribly common.
That was my original conception of the gods for this setting.

They are real and they are involved with the world. They don't make housecalls, though. They might have different aspects, even different names for different cultures. Some gods may not be picky about how humans worship them. Others might be more involved in that sort of thing.

Now, this is not 'canon', at least not yet. It's just a siuggestion. I'd like to see what everyone else has to say about the gods, before making any final decision as editor.
The afterlife, the exact nature and attributes of the gods, the precise location and qualities of the godly realms, etc- those things are a bit murky, even for mages. They evidently exist, but mortal magic is [thus far] limited in its capacity to fully uncover such secrets.
A necromancer can call up spirits of the dead and question them, but not all spirits describe the 'next world' in the same terms. Is this because they come from different afterlifes, or because each soul experiences the same underworld/land of the dead in different ways?

How many angels can dance on the head of any given pin?

Now, that's all just a suggestion. What do you guys think? I'll make a ruling once I know your minds, and have had a chance to consider.
Old 12-13-2009, 06:07 PM   #194
tantric
Banned

Suggestion with added technobabble: The world is the Prime Plane. The gods and their heavens and hells are fractal extensions of the Prime. From the Prime point of view, certain Gods are real or not *depending on what part of the world you are in* and to the Gods, other fractal planes are not a part of their reality. Gods do not see all of the Prime Plane and its extensions - despite their power, they are limited in their understanding of Reality, thus their partnership with humanity.

The premise of a central, 'real' god(s) and mythologies that are provable right or wrong is a deal breaker. It utterly destroys my interest in creating in that kind of cosmology. I need to be able to have an atheistic successful society, even if I choose no to do that. The idea that the gods are just empowered ideas also works for me, as they would not be the only kind of such.
tantric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 06:48 PM   #195
combatmedic
Banned

The point of my set-up is that you just don't know much about the gods, other than that they exist. Priests and philosphers can argue questions of the nature of the gods, other worlds,etc, all they like. Atheists might claim that the gods are just extremely powerful mages.The fact remains that mortal magic can only provide a limited insight into such mysteries.

Last edited by combatmedic; 12-13-2009 at 06:52 PM.
Old 12-13-2009, 07:03 PM   #196
Agramer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantric View Post
Could you please formulate "Georgias" church/religion/saints/..whatever else you think of some more.

Im about to go to bed 03:00 am here...but tomorow Ill work 5-6 hours on it and more material = better.

Thanks again

Great community...give it a try :)
Agramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 08:55 PM   #197
tantric
Banned

I'm thinking that Church of the Holy Fire is the central body, devoted to Prometheus worship. They perform most civic ceremonies - birth, marriage, funeral by cremation.

The Seekers of Truth and Enlightenment are monks that study Deela. There are many sects and some have some very odd practices.

Hero Cults tend to be exclusive. Though they will take sacrifices from anyone and perform their oracle bit, they are very selective about who gets admitted. Technically, the Heroes mortal incarnations of the Heptads, so in some cases those angelic beings are worshiped alongside the cult's eponym. Not all Heroes are warriors - there are also Healers and Inventors and some that are pretty random.

The Heptarches in the form of ancient gods get some lip service, but have no actual temples.

How devote you want the people (do they pray three times a day or only once>) is up to you.
tantric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 10:47 PM   #198
combatmedic
Banned

I have an idea for 'Canaan.'

Let's have it be a place of city states and tribes, with pastoralists and farmers sometimes fighting, sometimes trading with each other.

Each city or tribe has one or more patron deities of its own, in addition to a [rather more distant] sky-god and an earth-mother acknowledged by all the peoples.

The many gods of the region are made manifest in idols, and have a real, physical presence in their primary idols. These idols are things of wood, metal, or stone, and do not normally move about or speak. Each prime idol has an aspected mana field linked to it, which aids those loyal to that god- and only those loyal to that god. Capturing a primary idol is a big deal!

Some of these gods demand human sacrifice, while others are content with sheep , goats, cattle, spices, treasure,etc.

Priests are powerful here.

The overall TL is 2.

Thoughts?

Tags
fantasy world, necromancy