Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-12-2009, 11:52 AM   #141
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: GURPS Fantasy , shared world, recruiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by combatmedic View Post
Well, if you look at my original guidelines, you will see that spirits, contructs, and undead are all possible. They just are rare in comparison with humans.

What this world does not have are 'demi-humans.' No elves, dwarves, gnomes, hobbits, etc. Also no orcs, trolls, giants, etc.
Good, but still...
Constructs? Like allowing a rag tag region of escaped autonomous clockworks? From the powerful robot from "Characters" to the mechanical songbird that just wants to fly free?
Of course there has to be a hierarchy for magical golems, clockworks, humanoids, etc. :)
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 11:55 AM   #142
combatmedic
Banned

Right, I'll look through magic and come up with banned spells, if there are any [I'm sure there will be a few]. I'll consult with the other contributors, so as to keep the magic system flexible enough to allow variety in their contrubutions- but still cohesive and true to the tone of the world.

That will take a bit of time.

I've already explained some of the core differences with magic, right in the very first post.

Ah, don't leave out my pastoral folk or Jurgen's wizards.
combatmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 12:05 PM   #143
combatmedic
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Good, but still...
Constructs? Like allowing a rag tag region of escaped autonomous clockworks? From the powerful robot from "Characters" to the mechanical songbird that just wants to fly free?
Of course there has to be a hierarchy for magical golems, clockworks, humanoids, etc. :)

What do you mean by hierarchy?

What if each construct is the unique creation of a powerful wizard?

All these constructs would require mana to function. All would be magical, although the might have TL3 moving parts. They are not robots.
Old 12-12-2009, 12:13 PM   #144
Agramer

Quote:
I'd say Kroekos is a lot more than just the champ of 'some town.' Did you look at his ST, DX and advantages? The guy has a 15 spear skill!

Basically, your vision of the setting is a whole order of magnitude higher in power than mine- and appears to be rather higher than the ideas of several of the other contributors.

That's why I am okaying 'epic sidebars.' It allows you to write up very powerful NPCs, but doesn't move the whole setting into 'cinematic/epic' territory. I'm really not sure why you wouldn't be happy with this solution.
Considering that Average soldier has skills 12, Veteran Soldier has weapon skills 14...15 aint that impressive.

ST14 being Athlete,15/16 football tackle,heavy wrestlers...etc ... so ST15 also aint that much.

Swashbucklers 3ed have:
Average Townguard: weaponskills 11-13
Average Cardinals guardsmen weapon skills 15
Ordinary seaman: 10-13
Extraordinary seaman: 11-14

Dont get me wrong ST15 is impressive and also his DX 15 is very,very impressive....its just weapon skill thats "notsoimpressive".
If someone is Champion would it be to much to asume he has 16 points in his main weapon skill?
That would put Kroekos at Sword skill 18.If hes "Big place" Hero..add Weaponmaster (sword) for those nice parry/rapid strike bonuses and maybe 1 extra attack.And truthfully any PC made of 200+pts has weapon skill 18+.

Even in such setup he would be outgunned by 10 soldiers with sword/spear and board fighting as unit.Even vs 5 average soldiers he would be in reasonable danger. Is that too much for "Hero" ?

In last campaign I GMed I told players to make whatever they like and to have 400 pts as character budget with this limitations.

One PC asked if he can make Weaponmaster with skill 30 ..I said no problem.
My point was to prove to them that high weapon skill aint hard to manage at all.Highest enemy skill that they encountered was 18(just once) and 99% of time they were fighting vs skill 10-14 opponnents(raw/average/veteran soldiers).
It really makes no difference for world if PC skill is 20 or more...hell drop Average-Veteran soldier with same ease.And critical is always critical...so regardless of my mooks skills every 50th attack will be critical....but I digress

Quote:

Now, as for the chess move anology- let me be clear, that's a shock attack. They aren't killing 30 guys with arrows, while gliding. No, the dragon lands and attacks with jaws, claws, and tail. The rider shoots some arrows to back it up, or maybe employs a long spear. The damage is done on the ground- then the dragon leaps again, and lands someplace else to kill more guys in melee.
I like that,will do in that format :)
I didnt realise what you meant by Chess piece at first,thought just gliding in line over battlefield while shooting arrows,droping caltrops...making loooong turn and rinse-repeat.Kinda didnt have any heroic appeal to me.

Quote:
Basically, your vision of the setting is a whole order of magnitude higher in power than mine- and appears to be rather higher than the ideas of several of the other contributors.

That's why I am okaying 'epic sidebars.' It allows you to write up very powerful NPCs, but doesn't move the whole setting into 'cinematic/epic' territory. I'm really not sure why you wouldn't be happy with this solutio
I dont have a problem with that.Easiest thing in world to buff Heroes and/or some special units in respective campaigns with few levels of skill more and advantage or two.

Im primarily asking/probing to comprehend where do You want to set line,so I/rest can design stuff in synergy.

Great community...give it a try :)

Last edited by Agramer; 12-12-2009 at 12:18 PM.
Agramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 12:28 PM   #145
Agramer

Quote:
Good, but still...
Id say I vote against robot-country.

Though Chinese Terracota (Quins) soldiers do spark my imagination ...a lot...

Great community...give it a try :)

Last edited by Agramer; 12-12-2009 at 12:31 PM.
Agramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 12:33 PM   #146
combatmedic
Banned

Quote:
I dont have a problem with that.Easiest thing in world to buff Heroes and/or some special units in respective campaigns with few levels of skill more and advantage or two.

Im primarily asking/probing to comprehend where do You want to set line,so I/rest can design stuff in synergy.
Since you want a line, say that any advantage described in the books as 'cinematic' is restricted to epic scale. Weapon Master, Trained by a Master, etc are all sidebar material. Likewise, Magery over 3 is epic.

I'd go with the working assumption that PCs will be truly exceptional people at 150 points, and scale accordingly.

Point values can vary a lot, because an emperor who is also a tough warrior might be a 500 point NPC, but much of his point value will be sunk into status, wealth, rank, allies,etc.
Old 12-12-2009, 12:36 PM   #147
combatmedic
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agramer View Post
Id say I vote against robot-country.

Though Chinese Terracota (Quins) soldiers do spark my imagination ...a lot...
Yeah,but a ' construct country' might fit the other setting[check it out, Tantric just started a weird/high fantasy thread].
Old 12-12-2009, 12:38 PM   #148
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Yeah,but a ' construct country' might fit the other setting[check it out, Tantric just started a weird/high fantasy thread].
My thoughts exactly.
Good luck with this project.
Old 12-12-2009, 12:44 PM   #149
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
What do you mean by hierarchy?

What if each construct is the unique creation of a powerful wizard?

All these constructs would require mana to function. All would be magical, although the might have TL3 moving parts. They are not robots.
Like you said, my idea would probably be better suited to Tantric's project.
Though an underground railroad for the few constructs that want freedom might be an interesting theme.
Old 12-12-2009, 12:47 PM   #150
combatmedic
Banned

Quote:
Like you said, my idea would probably be better suited to Tantric's project.
Though an underground railroad for the few constructs that want freedom might be an interesting theme.
Yes, it's better suited to the other project. I will watch with interest, and I may, if it's okay, make some small contribution of my own.

Tags
fantasy world, necromancy