Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-11-2009, 12:39 PM   #91
combatmedic
Banned

Default Re: GURPS Fantasy , shared world, recruiting

You will note that I specifically exclude all TL 4 gunpowder tech, in the initial guidelines. If gunpowder exists, it is strictly imlited to TL3. Firecrackers, petards, pot-de-fers, those might be just fine. Matchlock muskets are a bit too high tech. If no one wants to use primitive gunpowder tech, then we just won't have it. It's not really a huge deal. Printing presses with moveable metallic type would do more violence to the low tech nature of the setting.

Last edited by combatmedic; 12-11-2009 at 12:42 PM.
combatmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 12:42 PM   #92
Agramer

Quote:
Originally Posted by combatmedic View Post
I'd have to know how much food those flying lizards eat. Must be a helluva lot, to fly and bear a human rider. Big caloric intake. I'm thinking that they cannot be very common, and that lots of livestock go to feeding them. Dunno about hard numbers.
I was also thinking along same lines though on another topic that I find lacking.

Thats proper warhorse,aka Destrier since current 4ed Warhorse is to weak.

So stat horse with few points of ST more,but make a hell of maintaining it.Special diets that cost 1000-2000$ /month.Cant feed on green grass as riding horses due metabolism..etc
There were some nice threads about horses in forum recently.
Such horse could cost 10.000 + $ with better speciments 20.000+.

Since with warhorse now when you put 80kg rider + plate + barding,let alone greaves,little baby is faster than that horse.

So yes,Lizards should be rare....If carnivores than even rarer.

Great community...give it a try :)
Agramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 12:46 PM   #93
Agramer

What about Crossbows?

They are also kinda wonder weapon.Maybe "limit" them to one region +borders of it.
This doesnt stop PCs from buying them,but Mass Combat,structure of units would be influenced by that.

Old 12-11-2009, 12:52 PM   #94
combatmedic
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agramer View Post
I was also thinking along same lines though on another topic that I find lacking.

Thats proper warhorse,aka Destrier since current 4ed Warhorse is to weak.

So stat horse with few points of ST more,but make a hell of maintaining it.Special diets that cost 1000-2000$ /month.Cant feed on green grass as riding horses due metabolism..etc
There were some nice threads about horses in forum recently.
Such horse could cost 10.000 + $ with better speciments 20.000+.

Since with warhorse now when you put 80kg rider + plate + barding,let alone greaves,little baby is faster than that horse.

So yes,Lizards should be rare....If carnivores than even rarer.
Right.

Maybe only one part of the country actually fields these hungry monsters: a escarpment, rearing above vast grasslands[the border of the realm]. The lizard-dragons and their riders hunt the aurochs of the plains- but must contend with native tribesmen who also follow the cattle.
Old 12-11-2009, 01:00 PM   #95
combatmedic
Banned

Quote:
What about Crossbows?

They are also kinda wonder weapon.Maybe "limit" them to one region +borders of it.
This doesnt stop PCs from buying them,but Mass Combat,structure of units would be influenced by that.
Well, crossbows of what TL, what materials?
If you have full plate, I'd expect that there are steel arbalests. After all, plate evolved in response to improvements in weapons technology- and weapons
evolved to defeat armor.

Perhaps it would be best if the whole setting stepped back towards a solid TL 3, even 2? We seem to have quite a few Classical and Late Antiquity elements, alongside some more or less very late medieval stuff.
No plate armor, but no steel crossbows, either? Your 'Georgians' might have very fine lamellar or coats of mail instead of full plate.\

EDIT- Actually, limiting things to TL 3, without 'anachronisms' like full plate, pocketwatches, spyglasses, banking of the type often assumed in RPGs, rapiers, fully rigged sailing ships,etc- that would make our setting more distinct from Yrth, Forgotten Realms, etc all.

We could actually have a Classical/Medieval world, instead of the Medieval/Early Modern settings that seem so common.

I want feedback from everybody before I tweak the TL design parameters, though. I won't do it if it scotches somebody's baby!

Last edited by combatmedic; 12-11-2009 at 01:21 PM.
Old 12-11-2009, 01:16 PM   #96
Agramer

Quote:
Originally Posted by combatmedic View Post
Your 'Georgians' might have very fine lamellar or coats of mail instead of full plate.
Plate is TL3. Also Plate looks cool with barded horses and Lances :))

"Georgian" Fine plates(lighter) and mails could be nice for layering armor.

I was asking about Crossbows,since I wont have them in "Georgia".

Georgian army:

I dont want to create "uber-army" .Idea is to create Army that can fend off Barbarins and mountain tribes that surround "Georgia".That army didnt have reason to evolve to more efficient type due lack of real competition.
It would be based around Heavy cavalry/Infantry due lavish amounts of iron ore/metallurgy traditions of that region.

Flying Knights on "Dagons" -very,very rare
Barded Knights with lances -nobles,squires
Hoplites -Spear,round medium shield,shortswords,plate::>Hellas influence through Black sea trade

Maybe Archers with Regular bows,or heavily armoured archers with bow+small shield/shortsword... will see

Old 12-11-2009, 01:31 PM   #97
combatmedic
Banned

Quote:
Plate is TL3. Also Plate looks cool with barded horses and Lances :))

"Georgian" Fine plates(lighter) and mails could be nice for layering armor.

I was asking about Crossbows,since I wont have them in "Georgia".

Georgian army:

I dont want to create "uber-army" .Idea is to create Army that can fend off Barbarins and mountain tribes that surround "Georgia".That army didnt have reason to evolve to more efficient type due lack of real competition.
It would be based around Heavy cavalry/Infantry due lavish amounts of iron ore/metallurgy traditions of that region.

Flying Knights on "Dagons" -very,very rare
Barded Knights with lances -nobles,squires
Hoplites -Spear,round medium shield,shortswords,plate::>Hellas influence through Black sea trade

Maybe Archers with Regular bows,or heavily armoured archers with bow+small shield/shortsword... will see
When I write 'full plate' I mean something like this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/unforth/2578904800/

Which is TL 4

and not this;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mharrsch/802254989/

Which is late TL3
Old 12-11-2009, 01:50 PM   #98
combatmedic
Banned

Another question: what sort of weapons and armor are the 'dragoneers' using?

Plate and swords or lances look cool- but are not necessarily a smart choice on a flying critter. You don't want to crash your mount into anything while flying- so 'knightly' lances are impractical. Heavy steel armor will further burden your mount, possibly hindering take offs and maneuverability.

Perhaps bows makes more sense? 'Saddlebags' or wicker baskets , chock-full of arrows? Lightly armored archers that can fly out of range, but- thanks to gravity- can bombard the enemy on the ground with arrows. If the critters are gliders [seems likely for something so damned big] it might be possible to learn to shoot pretty well from the perch.

These guys would be perfect for spotting the enemy at a distance, scouting, terror attacks from above,etc. Combined with your heavy infantry spearmen and your mounted knights....could be very nasty.

EDIT- I'm thinking almost of WW1 aircraft here, and the romantic ethos that surrounded the men of the 'dawn patrol.'

EDIT- They could also act as couriers.

Last edited by combatmedic; 12-11-2009 at 01:59 PM.
Old 12-11-2009, 01:55 PM   #99
Flyndaran
Untagged

I like the idea of venom tipped darts dropped from above that can litter the approaching ground forces. Though that might lead to contaminated areas like modern land mine fields. So use a venom that degrades quickly?
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 01:58 PM   #100
combatmedic
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
I like the idea of venom tipped darts dropped from above that can litter the approaching ground forces. Though that might lead to contaminated areas like modern land mine fields. So use a venom that degrades quickly?
Badass.

Crude blackpowder grenades would also be cool- and still TL3 doable. Maybe they are ceramic? 'Greek fire' flasks would be fun.

Not sure if his knightly types would be okay with any of this. We don't know what their rules of war are like.

I like it, though. Let's see what Agramar says.

Tags
fantasy world, necromancy