Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-17-2020, 01:06 PM   #51
coronatiger

Default Session 20 (2020-04-12)

We entered the guests’ dining hall, and Mina served us dinner. Lunari and I sat next to each other, and he propped the spear up against the chair on his other side, placing the other hand in my lap. Lord Lunas reiterated his displeasure that Lunari spellbound his subordinates, and under the lord’s withering gaze, Lunari failed to observe mine. I grabbed an offending finger and bent it backwards just as Grogg and Xipil entered. Lunari pulled his hand away with a yelp.

Lunari told Lord Lunas about the goblin curse, and he and Xipil dug out the remaining ant oil vials and handed them over, so Lord Lunas could send them back to Nadder, where they might be needed. Grogg sent Kraa to visit Lady Isa. Xipil commented that there was light in the tower on the other side of the causeway; someone had removed the rope that prevented the light from escaping, and according to Lady Isa, the spirits from entering. Lord Lunas said we could discuss this later, and left.

Xipil dug out some papers and handed them to Lunari, wanting him to proofread what he’d written. From Lunari’s comments, I gathered that Xipil had written a propaganda text for Aldera, against Larma, the so-called Loyalists, based on events related to our tower raid. Lunari emphasized that it was important that the text made it clear that Larma were the villains of the story, but without naming them.

Lunari then asked me about pottery traditions here in Arland; his thoughts were on the forty ceramic tokens used to transport the spirits. I told him what little I knew of the topic, but a small voice in the back of my head urged me to go down to the dungeon and take a look at the jar we had placed in one of the cells, the one with evil inside it.

I told the others I wanted a look at the jar, and we left the dining hall to put our packs away before going downstairs. While we were in our rooms, Lord Lunas came back. He told us to put on decent clothes and to come out in five minutes. He wouldn’t say why, or what was happening; he only barked to Lunari that he had to smarten up the troll.

Luckily, I had been able to take a bath at the inn last night, so I wasn’t all sweaty and yucky. My dress, however, was covered in dust and dirt. I only had one other, the indecent, red one. I cursed Lunari and Grogg for making me leave Sam without time to reorganize my luggage. The red dress wasn’t appropriate attire in the company of nobles, or really in any company, but it would have to do. I slipped it on, and hastily applied my makeup. With smoky eyes and lush, red lips, I emerged into the hallway a couple of minutes late, although Lord Lunas had only had time to call out to Lunari that he needed to hurry.

Lord Lunas stared at me, and I felt his eyeballs rolling down my cleavage. He tore his eye away when Lunari appeared, and told him that he had to put away his spear. They agreed Lunari could store it in the armory. I got the impression that Lord Lunas tried to sneak us out and through to the inner courtyard. My dress might have had something to do with that.

In the armory, Lunari put his spear away, locking it inside a closet, and insisted on keeping the key afterwards. Lord Lunas let his eyes linger on me when we left the armory, his urgent glance saying that he would like to see more, but not now.

He took us to the dining hall where we had eaten with the nobles earlier. Lady Isa was sitting there alone, making big eyes at my near lack of dress. I smiled and waved at her when her brother led us past, going to the lounge upstairs. Keri was there, and Lord Mir and his double, as well as Pak, who was glaring furiously at Groman. Remi was there, too, more relaxed than I’ve ever seen him, and two foreign-looking elves that nobody could convince me were from Arland, or from the Prince’s Cities, for that matter. The elves said something to Lord Mir before leaving.

Lord Mir addressed his brother. “So, Lunas, you’re finally going to show me… Yes, what have you dragged in, now?” We sat down at one of the tables, and Lord Lunas made introductions. Lord Mir looked at each of us as we were named, but his eyes kept returning to me.

Remi served wine, and Lunari explained his goblin conquest, with more embellishments than were strictly necessary. Lord Mir told us that he had been in the west, feeding the dragon, and he said it as if it was an expression, albeit one I’ve never heard before. He also said something about orphanages and sick houses that I didn’t quite follow. Then he focused his eyes on me and asked from where I had come. I admitted that I hailed from Sam. “You have no loyalty towards me, do you?” he continued, and by the tone of his voice, I thought he sought a negative answer. “And not towards Lunas, either?” I answered “no” to both questions. “And what if someone asks if you’ve worked for the Aldera family, what do you reply?” “Aldera who?” I replied, and he looked satisfied with my answers, muttering to himself that Grogg, Lunari and Xipil weren’t even from Arland. It was clear to me that he had plans for us.

Xipil asked him about the dragon and the orphanage, but Lord Mir didn’t answer the question, at least not directly. Instead, he mentioned having made a trade treaty with someone. He seemingly jumped from one topic to the next, and said he wanted to improve the lands around here. He told us a story about two countries to the west, each with their own king, and the two monarchs wanted to determine who had the best soldiers. It sounded like a fairy tale, to be honest, and I didn’t understand why he was telling it to us. Lunari applauded and shouted “Bravo!” and I couldn’t quite decide if he was being sarcastic.

Lord Mir walked around the table, clinking his glass against ours as we toasted. I sipped politely at my drink, unlike certain others, who were most unmannered. Lord Mir commented to Lunari that his companions weren’t exactly military types, but Lunari protested that at least he and Grogg were from Blekborg, which definitely was a town of soldiers. Lord Mir quizzed him on strategy and tactics. I had no idea what they were talking about, but I got the impression that Lord Mir thought of himself as a great leader who had returned home to do wonderful deeds. He almost seemed as megalomaniacal as Lunari did when he hadn’t put down his spear for a while.

Lord Mir left the room, and Lord Lunas asked what we thought of his brother. I told him Lord Mir seemed effervescent. Lord Lunas explained that it was twelve years since he had seen his brother, although Lord Mir had come back for a short visit eight years ago, while he was away. And now Lord Mir had returned, with barrels upon barrels of miracle powder. I blinked in confusion, but Lord Lunas continued rambling; someone had been given the city hall building in Guling, as part of the trade treaty Lord Mir had made with the westerners.

Character sheet: Google Drive link (See this thread for details.)

Campaign logs: Chaotic Pioneering / Confessions of a Forked Tongue
coronatiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 01:15 PM   #52
coronatiger

Grogg was looking around the room though his ring when Lord Mir returned, and the lord identified that it was magical, and wanted to see through it himself. He glanced about and gave Grogg the ring back, and then the megalomania returned. Lord Mir bragged about how he was going to revolutionize the Aldera military, insinuating plans to seize control over the rest of Arland. I couldn’t fathom why he was telling us all this, but I didn’t feel like asking Grogg or Lunari, who were seated next to me. Xipil asked Lord Mir what he had been doing in the west, getting a short reply that he had conquered someone there.

Shifting the topic to local politics again, Lord Mir told us that a summons had arrived for the royal council, presumably to determine an heir, now that the king was dead. Lord Mir asked our opinion, should he send the impostor in his stead? Lunari mentioned that the council meeting might be a trap, earning nods of agreement from Lord Mir. Lord Mir changed the subject again. What would happen if someone brought lions to Vasulla? What if his father became king? With those questions still up in the air, the noble brothers left us so they could talk privately.

Pak lightened up when he got permission to play the flute, and thought Grogg’s singing was awesome. Even knowing that it was children’s songs and lullabies, I stood up and danced for a while. Lord Mir’s double excused himself. Remi chatted with Lunari, and even Groman seemed less grumpy than usual. Keri, drunk as a skunk, climbed the table and danced there.

I decided to go see if Lady Isa was downstairs still, but found her sitting in the staircase. She eyed my scant garment and asked if this was how the nobles in Sam dressed. I told her they most certainly didn’t. Young and immature, she still must have realized how indecent the dress was, for she asked if Lunari really allowed me to dress like this. I answered with a sigh that he greatly appreciated me wearing this dress. Lady Isa came back up with me, giggling every time she looked at the dress. We sat down in a corner, in a sofa a little away from everyone else, and talked. I asked her how she was doing, remembering that her mind-state had been very fragile when we left her last week. Lady Isa was overjoyed that both her brothers had returned.

Groman signaled to Pak that he should stop playing, when Lords Mir and Lunas reentered the room. Lord Mir said it was time to be serious. “Nuur-Karif is a known name,” he said, looking me in the eyes, “and Lunas believes we can trust the Moon Shadows, who have offered a price for your head. I hope this won’t be a problem.” I almost swore, feeling my body prepare for battle, but Lord Mir moved on. He faced Lunari, saying that his spear was magical and locked away in one of his chests; he would like to buy it. Grogg and Xipil chimed in that they didn’t think the spear should remain in Lunari’s possession. Lord Mir wanted to know where Lunari had acquired it, and Lunari explained that he got it on the Plains of Eternity. Lunari considered the request for a moment, and told Lord Mir that he wanted another spear, of the highest quality, as well as a new and better breastplate and one thousand gold pieces, if he were to relinquish the magical spear. Grogg thought Lunari should ask for a vineyard, so he could import wines to his inn in Blekborg. Lunari asked Lord Mir if he could remove all the toll posts between here and the Prince’s Cities, when he had conquered the rest of Arland. Lord Mir more or less ignored the question, and had Remi write down Lunari’s initial price.

Lunari wanted to go down to the dungeon to check on the jar with the evil inside. Lords Mir and Lunas led the way down from the lounge, and Xipil, Lunari and Grogg followed. Lady Isa wanted to come, too, so I brought up the rear with her. We headed for the armory first, and Lord Mir retrieved the magical spear. Lunari vented his concern to Lord Lunas, that his brother might not be able to put it down, and when we arrived in the dungeon, Lunari asked Lord Mir if he was going to conquer the world. Lord Mir ignored him, instead unlocking the cell with the jar. I wasn’t the only one who wanted a look at the jar, but Lord Mir closed the door with a bang and locked it again. In answer to Lunari’s question, he locked the spear inside the neighboring cell. Without further ado, he declared the evening had come to an end, and left with Lord Lunas. Lady Isa tried to hide behind me, and while Lord Mir hardly glanced at her as they passed, Lord Lunas gave her a look that said that she wasn’t supposed to be down here.

The rest of us looked at each other, confused for a minute with their abrupt departure, but Xipil declared that he wanted to talk to Krull, the orcish prisoner. I decided I needed to have a word with the lords, and dashed up the stairs after them.

Old 04-17-2020, 01:29 PM   #53
coronatiger

When I caught up with them, I asked if we could have a private word. Lord Mir wanted to leave it to Lord Lunas, but I said I would like them both to hear what I had to say. I confessed that I didn’t want to make trouble for them. Considering that the Moon Shadows wanted my arrest, if affiliating with me would make difficulties for the Alderas, I would rather leave. The brothers stepped aside to discuss it. I considered which of them might be the most difficult opponent; that one would get my fangs in his throat if they tried something, while I hoped my fists could deal with the other one. I wouldn’t have time to replenish my poison glands mid-combat.

Only Lord Lunas came back to me. He said that they would like me to work for them. They recognized Ashtar, he continued, and I should decide for myself when it was time to go. I told him it was You who sent me here, so I couldn’t see how Your, and therefore my, interests would conflict with theirs. I professed that I would like to cooperate with them, along with Xipil, Grogg and Lunari.

Lord Lunas seemed pleased with what I had told him, but he seemed even more stressed out. I had a feeling that the price on my head caused it. Anyone else might have felt guilty about that, but not me. I’ve only done what You have required of me. That thought reminded me why I was here. I had come here on Your orders, to meet new people, to connect with them and build relations. But more urgently, I needed assurances that I wasn’t to be handed over to the Moon Shadows. I looked deep into Lord Lunas’s eyes. “Would you like company tonight?”

He took my hand and guided me upstairs. He glanced about nervously, but made no attempt to sneak past all the guards. Lord Lunas claimed that he hadn’t planned for this to happen, but I had seen the desire in his eyes. We passed the second floor, where I knew Lady Isa’s rooms lay, and entered Lord Lunas’s rooms on the third floor. He told the soldier guarding his door, “If someone wonders if new or old guests are doing something they shouldn’t, the answer is no. Let them have their fun, it’s been a while.”

Door closed, Lord Lunas hugged me close, then he kissed my forehead. Before I could decide how to proceed, he moved away and lit a lamp, and shifted some mess away from the bed and from two chairs. “Would you like something to drink, or …” He opened a cupboard with some food and a few bottles. “I’ll take whatever you’re having,” I responded huskily. He picked out a bottle of wine, and took a chair. I sat down in his lap, one arm around his shoulders. We drank right from the bottle, and Lord Lunas fed me grapes.

I didn’t really want to sleep with him, so I was relieved when he started talking about how dreary the last days had been. I could sit on his lap and be a good listener all night, if that was what he truly wanted. Lord Lunas apologized if he had let his stress affect me. It should be glaringly obvious that I was willing to go all the way, if not why. If he still were reluctant, I would offer a massage instead; I had heard that a good massage was nearly as good as sex, to remove stress.

Lord Lunas picket up another grape and moved it towards my mouth. I opened up shyly, for I didn’t want to display my fangs, even retracted, but he pulled it away teasingly and had me wrestle it from his lips with mine. That opened a floodgate of activity. Even as I crushed the grape triumphantly between my teeth, his lips latched on to mine, and his hands expertly slipped the dress off my shoulders. I suppressed the urge to cover myself, reminding myself why I was here. I had picked up a few tricks from working girls when I researched this topic, and with that knowledge, I set about giving Lord Lunas the time of his life.

Afterwards, we lay on his bed, talking. I would have pulled up the cover, if Lord Lunas hadn’t enjoyed the sight of me as immensely as he enjoyed the feel of my curves under his hand. It didn’t take much prompting to get him to reveal what he knew about the Moon Shadows.

The Amrosh intelligence agency had a long tradition of cooperation with the Aldera family, although it had never gone beyond sharing of information. Lord Madan had told his son that the Moon Shadows would get the information anyway, so they might as well share, keeping relations cordial. Lord Lunas didn’t know how the Moon Shadows got all their information, and claimed it had been safest not to ask, but what they told the Alderas was always trustworthy. In a land of rumor mongers, that was a rarity.

I tried spinning a story about being innocent of the charges they directed at me. Maybe someone bore a grudge against me, and had framed me for their own crimes? Lord Lunas didn’t believe that, but assured me his family wouldn’t hand me over to the Moon Shadows. He admitted he had pangs of conscience when it became clear that they were harboring a fugitive, but confessed that it would bother him even more if he put me in danger, or Lunari. He seemed to think that while doing my duty as a bounty hunter, I had angered someone powerful in the Amrosh family.

Lord Lunas gave me a warning. Although I was safe here, I might not be so elsewhere in Arland. If I was afraid, I should turn down Lord Mir when he proposed missions to other nobles’ lands. He distracted himself with my breasts for a moment, and then added, “If you want, I can introduce you to Yana tomorrow. She’s the one around here who knows the most about disguises. You don’t have to think about payment for her services.”

I possess some skills in that direction myself, and already had a few ideas, but accepted the offer. A consultation with Yana, who turned out to be the assistant to the tailor here at the fort, wouldn’t hurt. Lord Lunas thought she had a very good eye for what suited different occasions, and pointed out that Lady Isa would be overjoyed to escape being Yana’s dress-up doll, if only for a while. I recalled that she didn’t seem comfortable in the fancy gowns she had to wear. Lord Lunas said I was welcome to bring Xipil, Grogg and Lunari, too.

“Speaking of Isa,” Lord Lunas said, “You can sleep here if you wish, but I don’t want my sister to know about us. She might get some unfortunate ideas into her head, and do something she will come to regret. She’s bored with life at the fort, and lacking an appropriate role model … I had to have a long talk with her after your tower raid. She knows deep inside that there are good reasons for her not to go off adventuring.” He didn’t want his brother to know about me either, but would endure the embarrassment if it came to that.

Once Lord Lunas fell asleep, I got up and dressed, taking care not to wake him. I sent You a silent prayer. “O Ashtar, the Mighty Serpent! Watch over Lord Lunas and his family. They may not be Your children, but they are good people nonetheless.” I made Your sign in the air above the sleeping half-elf, and then I slipped out. I made my way back to my own room on silent feet, seeing none but guards. One of them nodded at me with a knowing smile on his face. The guards were certainly going to talk about me, but I hoped they confined it to the barracks. Having Lunari learn about this might be awkward.

I filled up the washbasin from my water skin. I cleaned every trace of Lord Lunas off me, as well as the makeup. It had hardly smeared, and I was glad I had bought the most expensive stuff. Fishing my medicine kit out of the backpack, I retrieved the small pouch of birth-bane root while praying for You to revoke Your blessing for the moment, so the herb would take effect. I measured out about half of the eight doses from the pouch, and swallowed the herbs with a sip of water. I could get terrible stomach pains in the morning, but that was better than the alternative.

O Ashtar! I surrender my life to Your coils. Take me while I sleep, or grant me another day in Your service, as You will.

Old 04-30-2020, 01:05 PM   #54
coronatiger

Default Session 21 (2020-04-19)

8th of Rama, year 412

O Ashtar, Mother of Snakes, Keeper of Death’s Door, hear my confession!

Nauseated and with cramps, I woke before the sun came up, and offered prayers of thanks. I changed into my everyday dress, fresh from the laundry, and went downstairs. I forced myself to eat a little before returning to my room, sitting down to rest my hurting stomach.

An hour later, I heard doors opening and closing, and joined Lunari and Xipil on their way to the dining hall. I intended to keep them company, but I didn’t feel like talking very much. I could tell Lunari wanted to ask what I had been up to last night, but he noticed my condition and concluded that I had been at the bottle.

Through the windows, we could see Grogg staggering out of the inner courtyard and plummeting into a fountain. He was drunk. I recalled he had been drinking rather heavily last night, but I had thought his constitution could handle it, unless he had significantly more to drink after I left the others in the dungeon. I myself had doubled my intake since then, but another half-glass of wine wasn’t likely to affect me, even if I didn’t sip it over the course of hours like with the first half.

Xipil brought some fruit for Grogg, and Lunari and I watched while they talked. Grogg filled a bucket of water and took it up to his room, while Xipil returned to us in the dining hall, commenting that Grogg was feeling even worse than I did this morning.

Lord Lunas entered with a spring in his step; the stress from last night had vanished. He asked concernedly if we had managed to put Grogg in bed. We assumed he had got himself safely back to his room, as we surely would have heard something from the servants if he had passed out in the hallway. Lord Lunas made a comment about me sneaking off. This might be leading to something I absolutely wouldn’t want to discuss in public, so I excused myself and said I had to go and relieve myself of my breakfast. It turned out not to be a lie.

When I returned after my stomach had settled itself, Lord Lunas was saying that Lord Mir had left, and that now that he was the master of the fort, we should resume our cooperation. Xipil asked if we should go somewhere else, to continue the talk in private, but Lord Lunas simply dismissed the servants and set guards on the doors.

Lord Mir’s sudden departure had his brother believe him more concerned than he originally thought. Xipil suspected that the jar with the evil inside it, that Lord Mir had seen in the dungeon, had something to do with it. Lord Lunas hoped that Lord Mir was going to the Moon Shadows, and not to the capital, a hope I did not share. Anywhere would be better than with the Moon Shadows. Lord Lunas instructed us to maintain the deception of Lord Madan being in charge, and of Lord Mir’s presence at the Evening Fort.

Xipil interjected a question about the formerly dark tower, but Lord Lunas didn’t answer. Instead, he said there was something he wanted us to see, here on the island. Lunari and Xipil fetched Grogg, and then we made our way to the inner courtyard. We stopped outside the door to the nobles’ dining hall, and Lord Lunas told us that if we remained there for a while, we’d see something interesting. He was looking meaningfully at me the whole time.

We glanced about the now-familiar inner courtyard, but I kept peeking worriedly at Lord Lunas. He smiled at me, but I thought he looked nervous. Xipil nudged me and pointed discreetly above the door to the dining hall. Among the carvings, I spotted Your symbol, and asked Lord Lunas if that was what we were supposed to see. It was, but he was uncertain if Lunari and Grogg should come further. I thought they could come at least as far as the door to the chapel, and led the way inside. Now that I knew what to look for among the decorations on the walls, I found the way to Your chapel, through the dining hall, upstairs and past the lounge, then into narrow servants’ corridors and down again. Other symbols marked the way to other places of worship, but I had only eyes for Your signs.

In a deep cellar, following footprints in the dust, we emerged in an antechamber with a bench in the middle of the room, and empty closets and boxes along the walls. Above the door on the far side of the room, a symbol marked the entrance to Your temple. I sent You a prayer, asking if the infidels were allowed inside. Lord Lunas mumbled something that might indicate that Ashtarites should feel welcome on their island.

I opened the door, revealing two small oil lamps shedding light on wash basins. We had brought another lantern as well, through the dark corridors, and I handed that to Lunari, asking if he could wait in the antechamber with Lord Lunas and Grogg. He wanted to know why he had to remain outside; now that he had come this far, surely, he could take a few more steps. Lord Lunas tried to placate him, at the same time asking me if it was right of him to bring us here. I smiled and gave the noble a hug. It was more than right.

Xipil and I entered and closed the door to the antechamber behind us. We washed our feet and hands, and Xipil washed his tail. Bringing one of the small lamps, we proceeded to the chapel. The room was nearly empty. Only a stone altar stood on the middle of the floor, with the largest snake I had ever seen coiled up on top. It had to be at least ten meters long, and it was even a venomous snake! I approached it cautiously, not because I feared its bite, but because it practically exuded an aura of holiness. I kissed the top of its head reverently, and Xipil asked if he should do the same. Your teachings demanded no such thing, so I told him he could if he wanted to; I only did it because it felt like the right thing to do. This snake, the only one in the room, was ancient.

I sat down by the altar to pray, and then I told Xipil that I was going to see if the others wanted to come inside. Lord Lunas was very respectful, making it clear that he wouldn’t come if his presence would offend You. I assured him that it was all right, and proceeded to instruct him, Lunari and Grogg in how to cleanse themselves properly, feet and hands. There were only two basins, so Grogg had to wait while Lord Lunas and Lunari washed.

Grogg refilled one of the basins with clean water, and then he lifted it up and started drinking. My eyes popped in disbelief at the sacrilege, and I yelled furiously at him to get out. He stomped out to the antechamber, leaving behind a threat about what would happen to me if Lunari came to harm. I paid little attention to his words, as it took all my effort not to sink my fangs into his filthy hands. I slammed the door shut, and brought the visitors down the corridor to the chapel.

When Lord Lunas and Lunari approached the opening to the chapel on my heels, the snake on the altar stirred and raised its head, hissing towards the infidels. I told them to remain in the corridor so as not to agitate it, and dashed forward to caress the snake. Soothed by my touch, the snake settled down on the altar again, but kept its eyes on the two intruders. I asked Lunari if we should go back to Grogg, or if he felt a desire to become Your follower.

Returning to Grogg, Lord Lunas exclaimed that he was impressed, but I could see that he was relieved to get out of there. I thanked him earnestly for showing us the chapel, and for the respect his family shows for Ashtarites, even if they aren’t believers themselves. He replied that we were welcome to visit the chapel again. I glared heatedly at Grogg and told him that the invitation did not include him.

Back outside, Grogg muttered about the brightness of the daylight. Serves him right, for drinking to excess! Xipil asked about the tower again, but Lord Lunas brushed him off again, saying we should talk to Markus about it.
We went back to the lounge, and Lord Lunas asked if we wanted anything. Xipil asked for fruit, and I nodded agreement, but Lunari wanted wine. I asked what we were supposed to do now; Lord Mir seemed to have had plans for us, but he was gone.

Lord Lunas explained a little about the Moon Shadows to the others, among other things mentioning that they certainly knew that I was near Guling. Xipil and Lunari opined that I should get a new name and a new look. Lord Lunas nodded agreement. Grogg interjected that he was protecting me when he called me “Nurkia”. I told him that whenever he mangled my name, I took it as an insult. My name is Nuur-Karif, and it was my first gift from You. I asked if the others needed to disguise themselves, too, and Lord Lunas pointed out that they are an elf dandy and a massive troll from the Prince’s Cities, and a lizard man. We definitely need to think about their appearances, too.

Old 04-30-2020, 01:08 PM   #55
coronatiger

Sharing information given to him by the Moon Shadows, Lord Lunas told us about the expedition from the Prince’s Cities, that had brought the star box here. They had been led by a representative of the Company, assisted by two mages from the Academy. Those are two of the four ruling organizations of the Prince’s Cities; I think the Salt Guild is another, but I don’t recall the last one.

There had been discord among the expedition members. After visiting Guling, they were observed at the Larma headquarter. Lord Lunas suspected the Larma Loyalists of being in cahoots with “The Family”, apparently a power factor within the Company. He also suspected the two Academy mages of being held captive by Larma, betrayed by the Company man. Xipil didn’t think it was very important to get to the bottom of this. Breaking out the captives, if that was indeed what they were, had to yield priority to delivering the star box to the Azura temple in Mistvan, back in the Prince’s Cities. Lord Lunas couldn’t understand how we could trust the Azura priesthood, and Lunari explained that they were only interested in the knowledge that was stored in the box. Xipil claimed that we could trust the Azura priests because they are the only ones who know what’s going on, and I assumed he was talking about the night sky, how the stars are behaving more oddly than normal. Lord Lunas thought we should get Pak and Groman involved in the discussion. I asked why, and he explained that the two of them had traveled widely, studying old ruins and such things. Lunari told Grogg to go fetch the historians. The troll lurched towards the door, and Lunari decided to go with him, as he seemed sauced up to his eyeballs still.

While we waited, Xipil asked what Krull’s deal was. Lord Lunas told us that they put him in the dungeon a long time ago, and Lord Madan had promised to explain about it, but he had apparently put it off, again and again, and now it was too late. Lord Lunas knew some of the story, and had figured out other parts over the years, and he related to Xipil and me: Years ago, there was an orcish warlord named Gromgar. Under him, the orcish raids were fewer, but they targeted the power structures of Arland, making them much more disruptive. Someone else was behind it; a brute like Gromgar didn’t have the brains to think much farther than the end of his maul. Unlikely as it seemed, Vasulla’s lands were spared, but they denied the allegations of collusion, and asked Aldera for help to figure out what was really going on.

Lunari and Grogg returned with Pak and Groman, interrupting the story, but I asked Lord Lunas if they had discovered that Krull was the mastermind behind it all. He was reluctant to go on with Pak and Groman in the room, but continued anyway. Lord Lunas and company were escorted through Vasulla land, and crossed into Orkheim, where they were captured by orcs and brought to Krull. Krull asked what they were doing there, and Lord Lunas had told the truth, that they were going to arrest him, bringing laughter from the old orc. Lord Lunas explained to him that his activities caused trouble between Furkan and Vasulla, and Krull answered that that had been his intention all along. Then he let the Arlanders go.

“Then how did Krull end up here?” I asked. When Lord Lunas started explaining that his father thought his mother suffered from King’s Fever, an illness that only affected royals and other important people, Pak interrupted, saying that we were supposed to talk about important stuff, not to rip up old wounds.

Xipil told him that we had a box filled with star energy, and Pak asked to see it. Lunari stood up to retrieve it, and I reminded him that it was in my backpack. He asked if I preferred to fetch it myself, but it seemed that the cramps in my stomach had lessened somewhat, and I didn’t want to agitate them by standing up.

When Lunari returned with the box, Groman began studying it. The dwarf claimed that the box was asleep. He added that when we first arrived here, he had heard that we were asking about his books, which made him upset. He shook his head and continued. There wasn’t just star energy in the box, it also held information.

Pak carried Groman out, for the dwarf wanted to read up on something. It seemed I wasn’t the only one with a tender belly this morning. Xipil followed them. Grogg tried to make Kraa touch the apparatus, but Lunari snapped the box shut. From what he just heard, Lord Lunas understood that the box was powerful, and reiterated that he couldn’t fathom why we trusted Azura. As he and Xipil had already made their thoughts clear on the subject, Lunari didn’t bother to repeat himself. I kept my mouth shut. I didn’t trust Azura any more than Lord Lunas did. Glancing around the room, I thought to myself that I didn’t trust anyone present. I liked them, even if I seethed at Grogg at the moment, and wanted to cooperate with them, and I even thought I understood their motives, but trust? No. My trust lies in Your coils.

I asked Lord Lunas if he could continue the story about Krull, now that Pak and Groman had left. He didn’t know if Lady Varja and Lord Madan were suffering from the same, but they suspected demon possession in both cases. Anyway, Lord Madan had sent his sons away when Lady Varja fell ill, Mir to the west, and Lunas to the north. Lord Lunas sought out Krull again, and convinced him to come back with him. Gromgar found out about this, and followed the party over the great river. South of Badahan, he caught up with them. As it happened, Lunari and Grogg were in the vicinity, and Grogg challenged Gromgar to a duel, felling the mighty warlord and taking his maul for his own; the rest of the orcs fled back home. I had heard the story of how Lunari and Grogg saved the Alderas several times already, so Lord Lunas skipped over it quickly.

Back at the Evening Fort, Krull spent long hours with the sick Lady Varja. Lord Lunas had to go away for a time, and when he returned, his mother was dead, and Krull was locked up in the dungeon. Lord Madan forbade anyone else from talking to the prisoner, but as we knew, that ban wasn’t enforced very thoroughly. Lord Lunas suspected that Krull had something to do with the death of his mother, but he had no proof.

The others returned, and Groman had Xipil show on our map where the star boxes were to be filled up. Pak managed to point to the eastern location before Xipil could; it was near a large crater, according to my companions, who had been there. The western location was just north of here, of course, but we didn’t know the exact spots for the northern and southern locations. Pak and Groman didn’t believe that the directions were very important, rather they thought that Azura wanted image captions of the night sky near certain locations. They also believed that it wasn’t the sky as such that was important, but I gathered that the night sky somehow reflected information about powerful forces tied to those specific locations. Or perhaps the locations were connected to forces on the sky.

The stars aren’t important in Your teachings, so I let my mind wander, and didn’t pay all that much attention to what the others were discussing. I recalled that Xipil had mentioned Krull saying something about me taking him home, so I asked the lizard man to repeat exactly what the orc had said. Krull had told him that Ashtarites were going to bring him home, Xipil corrected. So, I thought, it might not be me.

Old 04-30-2020, 01:10 PM   #56
coronatiger

With permission from Lord Lunas, I went to visit the prisoner. Xipil wanted to come as well, but I snuck out while he was busy discussing with Lunari a book he had read once; I feared the guards might make a comment I didn’t want Xipil to hear. The guards were very trusting, I thought to myself when they let me in. Perhaps they thought I had wrapped Lord Lunas around my little finger, and thus had no need to make up that he allowed me to see Krull.

Krull was asleep when I knocked on his door and opened the little hatch. He said he was glad to see me. I asked him to explain what he had said about Ashtarites taking him home. He watched me, his huge eye pressed to the hatch, and said something cryptical about not listening to rumors or traditions, but to search within myself for the answer. I told him I’d be back, but I added a “maybe”. He asked me why, and I explained that I intended to return, but who could really tell? We bantered about it for a minute, and then I gave him Your blessing and closed the hatch. Krull shouted that he knew why I didn’t like him. Confused, I opened the hatch again and asked what he meant by that. He didn’t answer. I shut the hatch and left, shaking my head. I had neither like nor dislike for him.

Halfway up the stairs, I met Lunari, who asked if I had been able to say what needed to be said to Krull. I told him I had, and that now, I was going to search within myself. Lunari continued down; I continued up. I went past the room where Grogg, Pak and Xipil were sitting, and strode determinedly towards the temple. I reminded myself to call it a chapel; the others aren’t worthy of the knowledge of the difference between a temple and a chapel. I thought it was strange that a place like this should have a temple.

I undressed at the wash stands and cleansed myself thoroughly. I brought the clothes down to the altar, in case I grew cold, but I wanted to feel close to You, so I didn’t dress. Instead, I climbed up on the altar and entwined myself with the snake. It stirred slightly, then settled down around me. Wrapped in ten meters of bliss, I prayed.

I’ve never had such a comfortable bed, and stayed for hours, beseeching You for guidance. As time passed, a feeling grew inside me. The place where Krull belonged was not here, and that place had nothing to do with You. I received no instructions to take Krull away from here. Sighing, I freed myself from the snake’s embrace, and got dressed.

I returned to the dungeon, and told Krull that I wasn’t the one who would take him away. He took it well, and asked if I could send Grogg down with something to drink. “Don’t bite anything I wouldn’t!” he called after me. I told him I couldn’t make that promise, and he laughed that he had expected just that answer.

Grogg and Lunari were dozing on the sofas when I reappeared in the lounge. I passed on Krull’s message to Grogg, but the troll muttered that it wouldn’t happen today. Lunari told me that we would eat with Lord Lunas tonight.

In the nobles’ dining hall, a little later, Grogg and Lunari were talking about crossing over to Guling when the sun set and the land bridge appeared. Unlike them, I waited politely for Lord Lunas to arrive before I started eating. When he entered, the lord declared that he was going to town tonight, and looked me in the eyes when he asked if anyone else was going. I hadn’t planned to go, but I asked if he wanted me to come. He said it would be nice, so I accepted. Lord Lunas convinced Xipil to come, as well.

Lord Lunas asked if we wanted him to arrange lodgings for us in town, but Lunari insinuated that he had plans to stay with some ladies of negotiable morals, and I said that I would go off on my own and find somewhere else to sleep, unless he wanted to hang out. Lord Lunas replied we could do that another time. He clearly had business to attend to, and I asked what it was. He answered that he and Keri were going to see Markus; running a city wasn’t easy.

We rushed across the causeway, passing carts going both ways. Lunari asked if Lord Lunas could recommend a brothel, and got directions to a particular district here in Guling. Lord Lunas and Keri headed for the new city hall, but gave us the name of the Golden Rooster Inn first. I told the others that I’d meet them there for breakfast tomorrow, and said my goodbyes. Xipil had deduced that I was on my way to the chapel, and he stopped me to ask if something was happening there tonight, but I told him I didn’t know. If there was something, it would be soon, I added, and he said that he’d be there shortly.

I went to the chapel, and immediately got the impression that not much had happened there in the last days. Still not feeling entirely well, I lay down with the snakes to sleep after a short prayer:

O Ashtar! I surrender my life to Your coils. Take me while I sleep, or grant me another day in Your service, as You will.

Xipil arrived before I dozed off, and told me that the great, old snake on the island was guarding something. I told him I was of the same opinion, but I didn’t reveal what it watched over. Xipil told me they met Nujan, who had seen that there were lions in the tower. He also wondered if the priestess here would be able to identify the vial they found earlier, but I recommended that he should ask a magician.

Realizing it wasn’t really that late, and with Xipil in a talkative mood, I initiated a Meet. It felt a little strange, with only the two of us present, but we followed the liturgy, just the same. During the final prayer, You told me to descend to Your domain, where I would find She Who Can See Both Sides.

I told Xipil not to try to follow me. If I wasn’t back before breakfast, he should tell the others that I was dead. I was going to the realm of death, after all. I left the lizard man among the snakes, disappearing into one of the side corridors before I took the journey to Your realm.

The priestess was there, praying, and I told her I had come to see her. She seemed distressed, not with my presence, but more like a woman who’s sent her sons and daughters to war. She explained that the spirits from the tower had been driven insane, some of them haunting her, and that she had sent Your other followers away and sought refuge here. The Ashtarites had all gone east. Even though the Rama priests had driven the spirits away from the tower, they might still be lingering nearby. I told her I’d pray with her.

When we finished, she looked at me with grim eyes and told me You had told her to kill me. My stomach fluttered, but I replied calmly, “If this is Ashtar’s will, go ahead!” I tilted my head away from her, baring my neck. The priestess intoned, “O Ashtar! You are the one who knows who shall die and who shall not. Nuur-Karif lays her life in your hands, returning only to the world of the living if that is Your will!” As she prayed, she lowered me to the floor, and suddenly, she sank her fangs into my throat. I knew I was dying, for a burning heat spread through my body, but for some reason, the pain wasn’t as sharp as I had feared it would be. Why wasn’t it? I should praise You, but I had no strength left to utter the words. Darkness took me.

I woke in the same place, feeling no pain at all. The priestess was gone, but I knew she had prayed over my corpse before leaving. The experience felt similar to my metamorphosis, vague, unclear and confusing. How long had I been dead? I touched my neck gingerly, but the wounds from her fangs were healed, leaving only small scars.

Old 04-30-2020, 01:14 PM   #57
coronatiger

9th of Rama, year 412

I prayed for permission to leave Your domain, and returned to the chapel, finding Xipil asleep on the floor. I sighed with relief. I had no idea of how long I had been away; it could be days, weeks or months. Maybe even years! I checked the sky outside; the first grey of pre-dawn was showing in the west. So, it had only been a few hours. I had feared that the others were long gone. Not that the idea concerned me too deeply. If You had wanted me to find them again, I would have, and otherwise, You would have given me another task.

I sat down to pray among the snakes, and Xipil woke up after a while. He gasped that I was covered in blood. Looking down, I saw that he was right. Funny that I hadn’t noticed. I smiled and told him it was all right, and that I had been granted the rank of Slitherer. You must have put those words on my tongue, for the priestess had said nothing of the kind, so You must have wanted me to tell him. I added that what happened in Your realm should stay there, belaying Xipil’s questions. I wasn’t keen on revealing what I had learned, but some of it could be useful for him to know. Maybe the time would come when it was all right to tell, but that time was not now.

Subconsciously, I knew I now had a choice regarding how to serve You. I could become a Watcher or a Subduer, but like my new rank, these were titles that simply appeared in my mind, without context. I could intuit nothing about the choices, but what the everyday meaning of those words revealed. I have been quite happy doing Your work as a bounty hunter, but clearly You have bigger plans for me. Being a Subduer sounded like it could be in that same line of work, but if that was the case, why offer me the choice? Perhaps there was a deeper meaning to it? Regardless, I am confident that You will guide me to the right choice.

I peeled off the blood-soaked dress and cleaned myself at the wash stands at the entrance. I put the dress back on, but luckily, I had brought my cloak; it lay on the chapel floor where I had left it with Xipil last night. With the cloak covering the dark red on my dress, and the hood hiding the scars, I was almost ready to go. I had recently come into quite a lot of money, and thought I should share some with other Ashtarites, who perhaps weren’t as lucky. Counting out coins from my pouch, I left five gold pieces on the floor, among the snakes. That should make it clear that those who needed them were welcome to it. Xipil copied my offering.

We found Grogg in the common room of the Golden Rooster. He smelled of soap, so Lunari must have forced him to bathe. Grogg sniffed the air when we approached, and told me pointedly that there was a bath tub in his room. I said I didn’t need a bath, and ordered breakfast, all the while wrapped up in my cloak. Grogg repeated that he thought I needed to wash.

Xipil found Nujan, and Grogg gave the cat man a gift, an embroidery of a pig with sore buttocks being chased by a harlot. This was an impressive piece. I could even make out flowers on the pig’s cheek, making it clear who the pig was supposed to represent. Nujan suggested to have it framed and put it on a wall at the Evening Fort.

The pig sauntered down the stairs and joined us. Lunari looked like he had been up all night, partying. I asked Xipil if he had a room here, and if I could borrow his key. Lunari accused me of killing someone; he must have heard from Grogg that I reeked of blood. Just then, Lord Lunas came in from the street, and he didn’t look as if he had had much sleep either.

I grabbed Lunari’s arm and pulled him with me, pushing him into a corner away from everyone. “Not lately,” I told him in response to his allegations, and opened my cloak and turned my head so he could see the scars, and conclude that it was my blood that stained the dress. The scars looked old, but I hoped he couldn’t see them that clearly in the shadowy corner where we stood; hopefully, he had taken notice of my unblemished neck before.

Covering myself again, I returned to the others to pick up Xipil’s key. Grogg hinted that there would be a bath tub in Xipil’s room, too. I asked the staff if I could have a small sack, and they obliged. I found Xipil’s room and took off the dress, putting it in the sack. Naked but for sandals and knife belt, I put on the cloak again, pushing all the knives around to the back. If someone should get a glimpse under the cloak, knives might provoke questions; the best I could hope for was awkward silence and perhaps a dropped jaw. Of course, if some guy found the sight too tempting and decided to corner me in a dark alley, he’d get to see the blades if his eyes were quick enough to catch sight of them before they found his throat.

Borrowing makeup from Lunari, I covered up the scars on my neck. Alone in his room, I left the sack with my dress in his backpack. I did tell him about it, of course, and asked him to bring it back to the Evening Fort. Now, I had to go shopping for a new dress.

Old 05-05-2020, 01:01 PM   #58
coronatiger

Default Session 22 (2020-05-01)

9th of Rama, year 412

It occurred to me that the priestess was a Watcher. The thought came seemingly from nowhere, so I knew You had planted it in my mind. If I let the seed grow, it might ultimately inform my decision, but right now, the knowledge was of no use to me.

I told the others I was going shopping, and left them to discuss the new spear and armor Lunari was going to get in exchange for the magical spear. After browsing the marketplace for a while, I found a small shop that sold simple clothes. Canvas walls were erected, giving customers privacy to try on the clothes, and I put on an unadorned, grey dress. Inexpensive, it was something the poorer citizens might have for their everyday outfit, but it fit quite well, and as I expected to redo my entire wardrobe later, with help from Yana, the tailor’s assistant at the Evening Fort, it would do.

Decently dressed, the flutter in my stomach subsided, and I strolled over to the park to look for snakes. I realized that the south-eastern area of the city might be just as likely to harbor Your wonderful creatures, with its irrigation ditches and small-scale farming. However, the park was closer, so I went there first. It was a beautiful day, and I enjoyed my walk in the park even though I didn’t find what I was looking for. Just as I decided to head for the other likely snake area, the priestess found me. We greeted each other, and she told me she was happy to find me, even though she knew I’d be here.

We crossed the city and entered the chapel, washing our feet and hands, as is proper. We sat down to pray, and after a while, the priestess asked to see my weapons. I drew my long knives and my throwing knives, lining them up on the floor between us. She picked up each of the four blades in turn, biting them ritually and praying over them. “All your weapons,” she added expectantly, and I gaped and extended my fangs; she blessed them, too.

The priestess instructed me to kill the spirits that were haunting the region. She knew it would be a difficult task, for an evil will lead them, more dangerous than the “ordinary” spirits. With my blessed weapons, I should be able to deal with the spirits, she said, but she strongly advised me to recruit assistance. Someone less devout might decline the quest, thinking they had a choice in the matter. I knew it for the command that it was, Your divine will, so of course, I promised to undertake this mission.

I retracted my fangs and sheathed my blades, biting the blessed weapons reverently before putting them away. The priestess wished me good luck and went home to sleep. With everything that’s been going on recently, she hadn’t had much time for sleep, but she told me not to worry about her.

I stayed for a short prayer before venturing out to look for snakes again. I found several water snakes, about half a meter long, and two of them deigned to accompany me, so I slipped them down my dress. They settled down in the small space between my belt and my breasts, cold scales against my stomach. I was ecstatic, feeling like I was walking on holy ground.

It was time for lunch, so I returned to the Golden Rooster, where I understood Lord Lunas was picking up the bill. None of the others were there. I expected them to be at the tower, looking at the lions, unless they had gone to Lord Lunas’s weaponsmith. I joined a group of merchants for the meal, and learned that business was good, which was surprising, given the martial law both here in Guling and in Ur, the nearest other city.

I went outside and found an alley, having set aside a few scraps of meat, so I could feed the snakes where no one would see me. Dropping food down my cleavage, I wasn’t exactly acting normal. I had no fear of being bitten, of course, not by Your children. The water snakes settled down to digest their meal, and I returned to the Golden Rooster. Back inside, I found a game of dice. I lost a few coppers, but the other players claimed to feel sorry for me and used some of their winnings to keep me supplied with beer. I’m not sure they weren’t trying to “loosen me up”.

Lord Lunas entered, and I joined him in the corner with the nice sofa where we could talk privately. Markus had received reports of incidents related to an old grave site in a grove near a village a half day’s walk outside the city. Ghosts, apparently. I offered to take the gang out there to investigate, even though Lord Lunas was concerned we might not be able to do anything about them. I didn’t tell him about my blessings, but said we’d check it out, and if nothing else was possible, we should at least manage to return with more information about what was going on. Lord Lunas asked me to inform Markus on leaving Guling. I said I needed to fetch some equipment on the island, and expected that I wasn’t alone in that. We could go to the Evening Fort tonight, rushing to our rooms to get the gear, and cross the land bridge to Guling again before it closed. At least, we could if the others were as organized as me; I was always ready to go on a moment’s notice, I informed Lord Lunas, my backpack filled and placed by the door, but I suspected that Lunari might need more time to get organized. I understood from what Lord Lunas said that it shouldn’t be a problem if we remained on the island for a day, but if it took longer to get ready, we should send a message to Markus.

I remained in the sofa after Lord Lunas left, caressing the snakes under my dress absentmindedly while I thought about what I should do for the rest of the day. It was still hours until the land bridge opened. I considered going to the weaponsmith to look for the others, but I had no business there, and was content remaining here. The sofa was comfortable and the snakes exhilarating.

Old 05-05-2020, 01:03 PM   #59
coronatiger

The door opened, and Grogg, Xipil, Lunari and Nujan walked in. I waved them over. Grogg carried a huge axe, styled fancifully, and I congratulated him on the acquisition, as he seemed very proud of it. I told them about Lord Lunas’s task for us, in broad lines. We ordered dinner and ate while we discussed it. Grogg and Lunari wanted to bring Lady Isa, since she was able to see the spirits at the tower, but Xipil warned them that Lord Lunas wouldn’t like it if we exposed his sister to danger. I suggested that we returned to the fort tonight and departed for the quest tomorrow night. That way, we’d have time to talk to Lady Isa and hear her opinion before making a decision.

Lunari mentioned wanting to visit an herbalist, so Xipil, Grogg and I joined him for a short detour on our way to the land bridge. We had ample time before it opened. Lunari and Grogg demanded party drugs, and while they held everyone’s attention, I snooped around, looking in shelves and drawers. Behind the counter, where I expected I wasn’t supposed to be, I located the poison section of the store. In a drawer next to the belladonna, I discovered birth-bane root and measured up eight doses into my hand. Returning to the customers’ side of the counter, I caught the shopkeeper’s attention. I showed him what I held in my hand, and asked what he wanted for it. He hurriedly opened the drawer where I had found it, but couldn’t see that the contents had diminished, and accused me of pulling a prank, insisting that I must have brought what I held in my hand with me when I came to the store. I tried telling him that I had taken it from his drawer, but he was so certain, I had to persuade him to allow me to pay, and even then, I suspected he only required a symbolic payment.

Once the others had made their purchases and we went outside, Grogg sniffed Xipil, mumbling that it would probably be all right. I wondered briefly what he was on about, but dismissed it as none of my concern. Neither was it any of my business that Grogg had bought a strong cleaning agent that he planned to use on his clothes, almost certainly ruining them. I recognized the stuff; I use it to clean my poison paraphernalia.

We also stopped by the Rama temple. The guards outside were on high alert, but the inside seemed practically abandoned. A priest appeared to ask what Rama could do for us, and Lunari asked if they had taken steps concerning the cursed animals that the goblins had kidnapped. They had. The priest warned us not to take animals on a journey. Lunari wanted to take horse and wagon when we left for the graveyard, but I argued that we didn’t need to. It was only half a day away. I assured the others that I felt no desire to follow instructions from a priest of Rama, and I nearly spat the name, but opined that we shouldn’t provoke them needlessly.

Lunari popped inside a tavern, picking up a glass bottle and a small barrel, which he got Grogg to carry, of course. We met Nujan at the land bridge, and Grogg got back his embroidery so he could show it to Lunari. The pig-elf took it well, and didn’t object to the plans of hanging it on display in the fort. Grogg sniffed Xipil again, and Nujan. Something was clearly going on, but I thought Xipil would let me know if he felt it was necessary to involve me. A city guard asked Grogg if he could help move a cart of building materials over the land bridge. Grogg looked to Lunari, and the elf accepted.

At the fort, Xipil said he wanted to speak to Groman and Pak, and I said I was going to the chapel. Xipil changed his mind, asking if it was all right if he came with me. Of course, it was, I told him. The guards clearly had instructions to allow us to enter the inner courtyard, but while they looked askance at Nujan when he followed Xipil and me, they didn’t stop him.

In the chapel, the large, ancient snake was curious about the small ones I pulled out of my dress, but after a quick inspection, it seemed to accept them. Xipil and I sat down by the altar and prayed. I felt the need to address the great snake, and I stood up and asked it why. It hissed at me and studied the scars on my neck. I asked the snake why I was there, but it only hissed again, still intent on my neck. I got the impression that it wanted to bite me, so I leaned towards it slightly, tilting my head away. I ignored Xipil’s gasp, and then the snake struck. It latched on to my neck, and held on as I staggered into the altar and leaned heavily on it. Venom coursed through my veins, burning. The snake told me this was a taste of a gift to come, then it let go of me, hissing at my wounds.

Xipil worried about my bleeding, but I told him it was all right. I did put a hand on my neck to staunch the bleeding, though, as I went back down on my knees to pray. I didn’t bleed as copiously as wounds that size would indicate, but I still stained my new dress badly. The bleeding abated in pace with the diminishing burning sensation. My prayers confirmed that I had had a preview of a gift, and I noticed that the great snake had fallen asleep. I also thought that I was supposed to become a Subduer, although I still had no idea what that entailed. Xipil was curious about what the snake had done to me, but I only told him that I had received the taste of a gift that might be mine someday. I admitted that it was vague, and said it was difficult to tell any more. I stood up and kissed the snake. It opened an eye and peered at me before closing it again. It seemed to want to convey something to me. It came across as “do deadly, do quietly”. I pondered the cryptic communication as Xipil and I left the chapel.

Xipil went to visit Groman and Pak, but I headed for the guest hall in the outer courtyard. A guard looked at me questioningly, but I told him I was all right, and he opened the door for me. I knocked on Lunari’s and Grogg’s door. Lunari called out tiredly, “Can it wait until tomorrow?” I responded that I just wanted the sack with my clothes. Lunari shuffled to the door and handed it to me, alongside a shocked look. I told him I was all right, that he could go back to bed.

I put all my bloody clothes in a pile for the servants to launder, and washed and bandaged my neck. I had stopped bleeding, but the wounds could break open again if I wasn’t careful, and I had been taught that unprotected wounds invited disease. I fetched my tooth brush and sat down on the bed while I worked the brush methodically. It was two days since I last brushed, and my mouth felt foul. I returned the brush to my pack and readied my red dress, in case I needed to receive visitors before the other dresses were cleaned. I said my evening prayer and went to sleep.

Old 05-05-2020, 01:06 PM   #60
coronatiger

10th of Rama, year 412

I felt a lot better this morning. The cramps and the nausea were completely gone, and my neck hurt markedly less. Rising late, Grogg and I arrived in the dining hall just when Lunari and Xipil were leaving. Mina served breakfast for us, and I asked her if it was possible to set up a meeting with Yana. Mina said that Remi had told her about that, and went to fetch the tailor’s assistant.

Yana was darker of skin than most Arlanders, myself included, so I suspected she came from the south-east, where a darker skin tone is more common. She asked what she could do for me, and I explained that when it was time to leave Aldera land, it might be convenient with a disguise. Yana looked me over thoroughly, a craftswoman scrutinizing what she had to work with, and I studied her right back; she was quite pretty. Yana nodded agreement as I told her I considered coloring my hair, changing the style of my clothes, and altering my dialect. She had a look at Grogg, too, and recommended that we put makeup on the metal parts of his skin, as well as giving him a wig. Some trolls do have hair.

Turning her attention back at me, Yana asked if I cared to dress up as a man. She could provide me with a false beard or a mustache. I admitted that while I thought I could pull it off – I’m a decent actress – I wouldn’t feel comfortable like that, not for days and days. “Then what about curls?” she asked. I thought that sounded like a much better idea.

Yana asked if there were others who should be disguised, too, and I mentioned Lunari and Xipil. As she didn’t know the reason for the disguises, Yana thought Xipil was the most important one to camouflage.

Lunari and Xipil turned up after a while, and I made introductions. “Hello, darling!” was Lunari’s opening remark to Yana, and I told him sharply that he shouldn’t try anything with her, because she was here to do a job, namely making disguises for when we leave. We relocated to Yana’s workshop, and I noticed how she looked at Xipil, a challenge unlike any she had come up against before.

Grogg got a pony tail wig, and Yana covered his metal parts with makeup. The makeup didn’t stick very well to the metal, so it came off when Grogg scratched at it. When we leave, Lunari has to make sure he doesn’t rub it off.

Xipil got makeup on, too, something dark to cover his color-shifting scales. He asked if I was the one to organize this session, but I admitted that it was Lord Lunas who had made it happen. Yana provided Xipil and Grogg with jars of the stuff; there was a lot of them to cover.

Yana placed Lunari and me in small chairs while she did our hair. She added extensions to Lunari’s hair and recommended that he did it up elegantly instead of pulling focus with flowers painted on his face. Those flowers were really characteristic for him, and they would make him instantly recognizable.

She dyed my dark hair a nearly white blonde and put in curls, a rare combination in Arland, but having traveled with Lunari for two months now, I didn’t think I’d have any problems imitating his dialect. Yana also gave me makeup tips for how to achieve an elvish look; without doing something about my ears, I’d never pass for a pureblood, but following her instructions, it wouldn’t be difficult to pose as a half-elf. Grogg thought it would be funny if Yana disguised me as a troll instead, but neither of us thought it was a good idea.

I made sure to ask what herbs Yana used to dye my hair, so I could maintain the disguise while my hair grew. It felt nice, talking to Yana, and we discussed clothing styles and color choices, as well as makeup and hair. She was delighted to chatter with someone who were skilled with disguises, she said, but really, I thought she appreciated talking to someone who took an interest in her art. Dressing up Lady Isa was a thankless job, I imagined, knowing how the noblewoman felt about fine clothes.

I reminded the others that we had to talk to Lady Isa about leaving, rather clumsily, as Yana shouldn’t know we might take her with us when we went. I explained hurriedly to Yana that Lady Isa had taken care of Grogg’s pet for a while, and that he wanted to bring it when we went. I’ve never felt so flustered in my life; it was a wonder I got the words out at all. Grogg corrected that it wasn’t a pet, it was a companion.

The others went to find Lady Isa. I remained with the seamstress, discussing Lady Isa’s dresses, waiting for my hair to settle. I tried to relax myself, stooping to making small-talk, but even that was difficult. I had to go to the chapel, for I was feeling strange. Maybe it was after-effects of the great snake’s venom, although I found it odd that it should strike so suddenly, just as Xipil and the others were leaving the workshop. I invited Yana to come with me to the chapel, but I was being so convoluted about it, she might have misunderstood, for things got awkward. Yana asked if Lord Lunas was here, but I told her he was still in Guling, as far as I knew. She told me to take good care of him and practically threw me out of the workshop.

I walked through the nobles’ dining hall on my way to the chapel. Lady Isa was there, talking to Xipil, Lunari and Grogg. She looked up and asked if many people in Sam had hair like mine, curly and blonde. Having lived a sheltered life here, she displayed a remarkable ignorance of knowledge I took for granted. I gave her a short “No”, intending to move on my way, but she followed up, asking where people have such hair. “In the Prince’s Cities,” I replied, copying Lunari’s accent. Isa thought my hair looked unnatural, but very pretty, she added.

At the chapel, I washed my feet and hands, and sat down to pray. I asked about how I was feeling; the feverish jumble that was my emotions perplexed me utterly. I prayed for and about Yana, for I failed to comprehend her. What was her purpose? Why had You put her in my path? I was certain there was more to her than someone who could help me disguise myself. Finally, I asked about the blessings I had received for my weapons. How should I use them properly to serve You?

First, I received instructions not to kill Yana. That answer felt woefully incomplete, yet adequate at the same time. Then I was drawn into a dreamlike state where I watched a rhythmic fighting scene. One, two, cut, stab. It looked almost like a dance. Watching it, I understood how to fight spirits, how to use my blessings to make them vulnerable to physical weapons, if just for a short while. I vaguely noticed Xipil entering the chapel, but when the dream ended, he was gone.

I ran into Lady Isa on my way out of the inner courtyard, and she told me she was holding a party in the village, in honor of the farmers there, who deserved recognition for their hard work. We would slip away during the festivities. Lady Isa asked me to gather Xipil, Lunari and Grogg and meet her in the outer courtyard in half an hour.

Tags
campaign log