Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 10-05-2020, 10:09 AM   #11
Kalzazz

Default Re: Beastlanders (A Nordlond campaign log)

Whoa. I would have thought 8 on 1 peeps would have flat creamed a peshkali. Though you don't have any knights or Swash to fulfill toe to toe slugger destiny

Are they normal 250pt starting scrubs?
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 10:29 AM   #12
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
Whoa. I would have thought 8 on 1 peeps would have flat creamed a peshkali. Though you don't have any knights or Swash to fulfill toe to toe slugger destiny

Are they normal 250pt starting scrubs?
Normal 250 pts. They lack a Weapon Master and they're unfamiliar with the system.
Old 10-05-2020, 02:04 PM   #13
Dalin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Normal 250 pts. They lack a Weapon Master and they're unfamiliar with the system.
System familiarity has a huge impact on tactical combat. I adjust encounters all the time based on this. Indeed, I sometimes make adjustments on the fly for different characters, depending on their player's level of interest in the finer points of combat. (I've always felt like you shouldn't be forced to engage in combat with more grit than you want, so if I have a player who prefers a more abstract conflict, I'll adjust things accordingly.)
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 02:47 PM   #14
Anders

Indeed. My problem with I Smell A Rat is that it's not a good beginner's adventure. It assumes familiarity with the tropes of OSR and the GURPS combat system.
Old 10-05-2020, 03:02 PM   #15
Kalzazz

Martial Artist and Barbarian also can take some time to get rolling, it's harder to be a right out the gate engine of destruction that way
Old 10-05-2020, 03:54 PM   #16
Dalin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Indeed. My problem with I Smell A Rat is that it's not a good beginner's adventure. It assumes familiarity with the tropes of OSR and the GURPS combat system.
I agree. I've run it twice for newbies and had to pull a lot of punches.

I don't think we have a perfect introductory adventure for DFRPG yet. Hall of Judgment is great, but it's a sizeable book, possibly more than a first time GM would want to tackle. My favorite opener is "You All Meet at an Inn" from Pyramid 98. I mostly like it because the initial premise works great for a new group: a few role-playing scenes at the inn; sudden excitement; a mysterious dungeon. It's an engaging, simple recipe. The dungeon itself is probably too deadly for most beginning groups, but it's easy to modify. It also requires a bit of translation from GURPS DF (one or two monsters aren't in the DFRPG Monsters book). Another thing I like about it is that the dungeon itself can be modular; it's easy to add or subtract challenges before the climax. I make sure they get to the final room by the end of the session. Efficient groups get to enjoy more stuff in the middle.
Old 10-05-2020, 03:57 PM   #17
Kalzazz

Grave of the Pirate Queen is really nice, I've run it twice
Old 10-05-2020, 06:10 PM   #18
Dalin

Quote:
True! I like that one a lot. I have also run it twice, though both times it was for a one-shot and we ended at the shrine and they didn't find the ship. (The shrine is a great climax, though.)
Old 10-06-2020, 06:16 AM   #19
InexplicableVic

Quote:
Indeed! Used it with my current campaign, it was a good start for everyone. Fun theme. See http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread...t=pirate+queen for the After-Action Report.
InexplicableVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 06:36 PM   #20
WhiteLily

Where are Grave of the Pirate Queen and Hall of Judgement?
WhiteLily is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campaign log, noršlond