Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Illuminati Headquarters > Forum Feedback and Help

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2021, 07:44 PM   #1
trechriron
 
trechriron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Renton, WA
Default Forum Profile Fields - A tad outdated?

Might we get an updated set of "instant messenger" fields replaced with a set of "social media" fields with relevant current options (like Twitter, Facebook, Linked In, Twitch, Instagram, et al)? It might help increase the GURPS social media presence as we all follow one another... :)
__________________
Trentin C Bergeron (trechriron)
Bard, Dreamer & RPG Enthusiast
My Worlds
My Blog
trechriron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 02:05 AM   #2
Fufu
 
Fufu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: "Made in Hong Kong"
Default Re: Forum Profile Fields - A tad outdated?

SJGames are probably utilizing other social media platforms. The official forums have not been update for approximately 7 years.
Fufu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 05:14 AM   #3
acmegamer
 
acmegamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Default Re: Forum Profile Fields - A tad outdated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trechriron View Post
Might we get an updated set of "instant messenger" fields replaced with a set of "social media" fields with relevant current options (like Twitter, Facebook, Linked In, Twitch, Instagram, et al)? It might help increase the GURPS social media presence as we all follow one another... :)
That indeed would be a nice improvement and along with that improving the forums security to https as well.
acmegamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 05:56 AM   #4
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated
 
Turhan's Bey Company's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping
Default Re: Forum Profile Fields - A tad outdated?

It is indeed outdated, and you're not the first to notice. However, iirc, whenever this comes up, it is explained that the forum software has been customized from the package version to such an extent that it's very difficult to bring up to date with more recent versions, and doing something about it is sufficiently time consuming/costly that it's not a high priority.
__________________
I've been making pointlessly shiny things, and I've got some gaming-related stuff as well as 3d printing designs.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 03:00 PM   #5
Farmer
 
Farmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Sydney, Australia
Default Re: Forum Profile Fields - A tad outdated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by acmegamer View Post
That indeed would be a nice improvement and along with that improving the forums security to https as well.
The forums *are* HTTPS...but some elements are not secure (most likely some banner images and the like - the usual sort of thing - but I haven't gone digging).
__________________
Farmer
Mortal Wombat
"But if the while I think on thee, dear friend
All losses are restored and sorrows end."
Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 03:02 PM   #6
Anthony
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Berkeley, CA
Default Re: Forum Profile Fields - A tad outdated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer View Post
The forums *are* HTTPS...but some elements are not secure (most likely some banner images and the like - the usual sort of thing - but I haven't gone digging).
The forums appear capable of https, but if you come in http they won't redirect you.
__________________
My GURPS site and Blog.
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 12:25 PM   #7
seaweedbrain
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Camp Halfblood
Default Re: Forum Profile Fields - A tad outdated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turhan's Bey Company View Post
It is indeed outdated, and you're not the first to notice. However, iirc, whenever this comes up, it is explained that the forum software has been customized from the package version to such an extent that it's very difficult to bring up to date with more recent versions, and doing something about it is sufficiently time consuming/costly that it's not a high priority.
I always understood that the version that the forums use is toned down as in a lot of the current software's features aren't/wouldn't be used due to the atmosphere that the mods want to curate as compared to other forums. Almost a minimalist. But my understanding may be incorrect or out of date.


Features like emojis, gifs, embedding images and things like that.
__________________
Your head is full of kelp.
seaweedbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 02:21 PM   #8
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper
 
vicky_molokh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Kyv, Ukraine
Default Re: Forum Profile Fields - A tad outdated?

E-moji support seems to be hit and miss. Some of them get displayed as missing characters, but some could be seen in the posts (I remember bringing it up back when their presence was new and surprising here). This is (to the best of my understanding) because they're part of the symbol set / encoding / font and not of the forum software proper.
__________________
Vicky 'Molokh', GURPS FAQ and uFAQ Keeper
vicky_molokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 05:47 PM   #9
Buzzardo
 
Buzzardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Austin, TX
Default Re: Forum Profile Fields - A tad outdated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
The forums appear capable of https, but if you come in http they won't redirect you.
And the link on the SJG home page is HTTP, not HTTPS. That and the redirect should be easy things to fix.
__________________
Play Ogre? Want an interactive record sheet?

Want a random dungeon? How about some tables for that? How about a random encounter?
Buzzardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.