Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-04-2016, 05:26 PM   #11
Kalzazz

Default Re: [Basic] Skill of the week: Flying Leap and Power Blow

Power Blow is something I have seen periodically . . . . it is somewhat niche as requires a character that A - has decent Will, and B - wants to hit things and C - has some enabling ability

If people have A, B, and C they usually will put a point into it . . . . and then it becomes 'the skill for opening doors'

If you somehow can get it buffed into the 'immediately usable' range it becomes great for combat, but very few characters have I seen buy it up that high, so it becomes a thing for Fighter Mages under the effect of buffing spells to use

Several of my characters have had it though, couple examples
Elli, Unicorn Knight of the Enchanted Forest . . . . a fighter mage, who when in the 'buffed till she glows' state of being has a semi decent (11 or 12) chance of pulling it off every round. She also in that state has extra attack, so uses the Extra Attack with her Power Attack and as much deceptive as she can so if the Power Attack works has a good chance of landing the hit. Also a backup door opening skill (but she would rather use magic)
Leixia - Dragon Monk, utterly no shot at pulling it off in combat speed, but given the warm up time she has a shot at pulling it off, and a ST 65 dragon (doubled to ST 130 for Power Blow) can open doors in epic fashion!

One character of mine really wants to learn it
Sister Jessi, half beastman Cleric of Gaia is a Cleric (and she is convinced of this) who uses Perception/Willpower average instead of IQ as her spellcasting trait (kinda based off The Other Game Wisdom, or the Earthdawn Perception + Willpower stats being the spellcasting traits), so has rather 'to the skies' levels of both Will and ST, so would like to use her To the Skies Will to have the occasional use of To the Heavens caliber ST. But power blow isnt a default cleric skill
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 06:05 PM   #12
Sciencezam

I've used Power Blow a bit for a villain, though as she's meant to be The Best At Swords it's probably one of her less-used traits.

Similarly, flying leap is planned for an NPC with a martial art based around acrobatic kicks; it'd offer her some nice mobility options and a "super move" that'll just wreck face. The skill investment is steep, but as she's also a fairly high-IQ character it should work out. And as an NPC in a supers game, I can safely balance her on capabilities and not points.
Sciencezam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 07:38 PM   #13
the_seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply Nathan View Post
Or Per/Hard. Or DX/Hard. Or HT/Hard. IQ/Hard is, if anything, the least logical attribute to attach the skill to.
I'd go with HT/Hard for reasons, but it's not my call. But IQ/Hard? Yeah, I'm baffled.

Tim Harris
The Seeker
Time Lord

Saving the universe one planet at a time. Occasionally from my own mistakes. Oops.
the_seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 08:57 PM   #14
Dustin

With a high enough points budget, an interesting exercise for supers builds is to purchase enough Power Blow to reliably soak -20 in penalties (so skill level of Power Blow-38 or Power Blow-40). This triples effective ST for around 100-150 points, and can go some way toward addressing the brick vs blaster problem (where ST-based damage is extremely expensive compared to Innate Attack).
Old 02-05-2016, 08:33 AM   #15
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin View Post
With a high enough points budget, an interesting exercise for supers builds is to purchase enough Power Blow to reliably soak -20 in penalties (so skill level of Power Blow-38 or Power Blow-40).
Minor quibble: You only 'need' to get to skill 36. A roll of 17 and 18 always fails.

And honestly skill level of 32- 34 is probably sufficient... but if you're in for a penny you may as well go in for the pound to 36.

[EDIT]
I have a DF Ogre Barbarian (currently only ST 25) going into Martial Artist just to get Power Blow... he's going to be terrifying someday. Someday...
[/EDIT]
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 10:03 AM   #16
Icelander

Does anyone know if Flying Leap (or Super-Jump) have any impact on the falling rules?

If a character deliberately jumps from a roof and lands with his chi-enhanced or superpowered jumping limbs, shouldn't that hurt him less than someone who can't magic-jump?

Logically speaking, at least, if a character can magically jump X distance straight in the air and land unharmed, it should be possible for him to jump down from something around X in height and land unharmed.

Are there rules for this anywhere?

Does this interact with Acrobatics (non-magically) or Light Walk/Lizard Climb (magically), especially when this is part of chambera movement?
Old 09-06-2016, 11:12 AM   #17
Kuroshima
MIB
Pyramid Contributor
Mad Spaniard Rules Lawyer

Location: The ASS of the world, mainly Valencia, Spain (Europe)

The assassin/martial artist in my 1000 point DF campaign uses both power blow and flying leap, combined with the ST bonuses for surprise attacks for devastating first round of combat results. Flying Leap/Power Blow+Karate+Seven Secret Kicks+Unarmed Master+Backstabber+Striking ST 4+Striking ST 10 (Only on Surprise Attacks) results in effective ST 100+ and +4 per dice...
My stuff on e23
Kuroshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 11:36 AM   #18
Icelander

Oh, and the reason I ask is that a high-powered group of PCs just came out of the astral plane on the top of a 100 yard high tower in a recently conquered city. From there, they can spot a major breach in their walls on the east side of the city, around 400 yards from the base of their tower (which is part of the central citadel).

Fighting over this breach are several regiments of the enemy army against a scratch team of last reserves from every sector that the PCs' subordinates could call upon in their absence. Judging from a quick look, both the overall commander and the captains of his reserve units have done yeoman's work, as the rubble leading up to the breach and the breach itself is covered with enemy bodies.

On the other hand, even with thousands dead, it seems that there are at least two thousand enemy through the worst of the breach, with only thin lines of bayonet-wielding Purple Reign marines and lightly armoured 'privateer' allies keeping them from spreading through the city. It looks like a job for our heroes.

Making their way down the stairs of the tower would be several hundred yards of movement and the 400 yards over the city is through a neighbourhood that has suffered severe damage. It's hard to find a straight route through, probably making it necessary to take a somewhat longer, less straightforward route to avoid narrow alleys, too many turns or flat-out collapsed buildings.

All in all, using mundane methods of movement, the PCs would not be able to help within the next two minutes, which looks like it could be a really long time indeed for the people trying to hold out.

Now, there are magical methods of flying. Let us, however, assume that the situation is complex enough so that any actual mages have other things to do than act as pack mules. Sir Michael Carragher, PC warrior, does have magical boots made from red dragon leather, which allow him flight, but he happens to be wearing his black dragon leather boots. He'll waste almost half a minute just changing boots.

Abadas 'I Just Get These Head-aches' commands flying mages and other flying units. He has a plan for preventing more thousands of enemies from reinforcing those already at the breach, but needs to fly to his command in order to begin his preparations. Other wizards have other jobs, not to mention most of them being technically neutral in the war and more likely to be preparing a portal to take them away than taking a hand in any violence.

Enter the PC bard/martial-artist, Rasul Khamsin Mubtasim, al-Tawil, Sayf al-Murghom, al-Andalib al-hilal, etc. What he wants to do is launch himself from the high tower, using Light Walk and Lizard Climb to control his descent sufficiently to prepare a Flying Leap running broad jump into the city.

He wants to get as much distance with this first jump as possible and then land on a wide and open roof that is hopefully closer to the breach. From there, he'll use Flying Leaps from roof to roof, along with tic-tacs and other acrobatic movement as necessary, to cross the remaining distance.

Ideally, he'd like to be able to cover ground faster than he would run, as he's sacrificing height for velocity and using Flying Leap.

What I'm trying to find is whether there are any rules to allow him to avoid injury from thus jumping down, other than using Acrobatics to reduce final distance by 5 yards?
Old 09-06-2016, 11:37 AM   #19
Kalzazz

One rule we've discussed is using the better of double strength or double damage
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 01:22 PM   #20
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
Does anyone know if Flying Leap (or Super-Jump) have any impact on the falling rules?
Well Super Jump does, it's right there in the description on B.89:

Finally, if you fall a distance less
than or equal to your maximum high
jump, you take no damage. You can
increase this distance by five yards
with a successful Acrobatics roll.

Flying Leap doesn't say anything specific, but it's an entirely logical extension, particularly since it explicitly points you to Super Jump for other rules.

Tags
basic, flying leap, power blow, skill of the week