Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-12-2013, 07:54 PM   #561
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.
Default Re: GURPS Spaceships Design Spreadsheet

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmurrell View Post
Having an issue with assigning auxiliary craft. I have a SM+9 ship with a SM+8 hanger (30 ton capacity) but I can only load SM+4/10 ton craft into it. None of the SM+5/30 ton craft show up as an option.
Your issue is likely with the bay doors. A SM+8 Hangar has a bay door only big enough for a SM+4 craft (even if it, technically, has the storage capacity for a SM+5 craft). See Hangar Bay Doors, p. 43 of Spaceships 1.

EDIT: While I'm here, has anyone that had problems with the Excel Macros tested it in Excel 2010/11/12 yet?
Kaboom-baya.

Last edited by ericbsmith; 10-12-2013 at 09:15 PM.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 10:13 PM   #562
Adina

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
Your issue is likely with the bay doors. A SM+8 Hangar has a bay door only big enough for a SM+4 craft (even if it, technically, has the storage capacity for a SM+5 craft). See Hangar Bay Doors, p. 43 of Spaceships 1.
Any workarounds for that?
Adina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 11:06 PM   #563
ericbsmith

Temporarily increase the SM of the ship, add the Aux Craft you want, then set the ship back to SM+9.
Kaboom-baya.
Old 10-14-2013, 05:14 AM   #564
SCAR

Quote:

EDIT: While I'm here, has anyone that had problems with the Excel Macros tested it in Excel 2010/11/12 yet?
How does this interact with an Optimized Hangar Bay (SS4.p38), which specifically allows the Hangar to be optimised for craft of -3.SM. So an SM+8 Hanger (Optimized for SM+5), technically can't work because the Hangar Bay Doors aren't big enough!
SCAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 05:58 PM   #565
Adina

Quote:
Temporarily increase the SM of the ship, add the Aux Craft you want, then set the ship back to SM+9.
That works, thanks.
Adina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 03:35 PM   #566
ericbsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCAR View Post
How does this interact with an Optimized Hangar Bay (SS4.p38), which specifically allows the Hangar to be optimised for craft of -3.SM. So an SM+8 Hanger (Optimized for SM+5), technically can't work because the Hangar Bay Doors aren't big enough!
Yeah, you're right. It seems that the rules for Optimized Hangar Bays should supersede the rules for Hangar Bay Door size. Looks like I'm going to have to do some work to fix that.
Kaboom-baya.
Old 10-16-2013, 02:15 AM   #567
SCAR

Quote:
Yeah, you're right. It seems that the rules for Optimized Hangar Bays should supersede the rules for Hangar Bay Door size. Looks like I'm going to have to do some work to fix that.
I had never noticed this before, and I've built a load of spaceships, and juggled through the build mechanics a lot.

Additionally, if an Optimised Hangar Bay can have a -3.SM Hangar Door, then there seems to be no reason for a standard Hangar Bay not to have the same sized door. Both can still have whatever SM vessels fit in the bay, it's just the the launch rates which are different!

-3.SM is the actual size of a single Hangar Bay system, so it's just 1 step bigger than listed on Spaceships.p43, and 3+ Bays is effectively an additional +1 to SM, so I think I'm inclined to consider the maximum SM object through a hangar bay door to be an errata, and to just increase them by 1. Doesn't seem to obviously break anything else.
SCAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 08:02 PM   #568
sayke

ericbsmith - latest built works! office 11, os x 10.9 =) thank you very much!
sayke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 04:09 PM   #569
Onkl

Your sheet is fantastic Eric, thanks.

It seems I have run into a problem though... I use Open Office 3.3 and your 2.0 RC8 Sheet.

I've enabled Macros by trusting the path I saved the file under.

My problem is concerning deleting Space Ships in the saved tab. I would like to have only the ones present I want to use in my campaign.

what is the simplest way to accomplish this?

When I try to select one in the Saved Ships tab in the Ship to Load/Delete: Field, it tells me "Protected Cells can not be modified". Yes, I do click in the gray area and try to choose from the drop down.

If you could please help me, it would be appreciated.

Cheers!

Onkl
Onkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 05:23 PM   #570
ericbsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkl View Post
When I try to select one in the Saved Ships tab in the Ship to Load/Delete: Field, it tells me "Protected Cells can not be modified". Yes, I do click in the gray area and try to choose from the drop down.
That's an oversight. Select the Saved Ships Sheet, go to Tools -> Protect Document -> Sheet (selecting Sheet should uncheck it in the menu). Then you may select the Ship to Load/Delete drop-down cell and go to Format -> Cells -> Cell Protection (tab) and uncheck the Protected checkbox.

Note that you can also include a tag in the Page field of the ships that you're creating. After that you can put that same tag in the Name Filter and only your ships will show up (this even filters the drop-down menus in the Saved Sheet, though all will be available from the drop-down menus of the Design Table). This shows up best in the Official Ships sheet, where you can put in something like SS4 or SS8 and filter out the ships from that specific volume.
Kaboom-baya.

Last edited by ericbsmith; 11-08-2013 at 05:51 PM.

Tags
design, game aids, gurpsland, program, sheet, spaceships, spreadsheet