Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 04-07-2022, 01:57 PM   #31
Michael Thayne

Default Re: Dungeon Fantasy Companion 3

Unfortunately, I suspect the questionable goblin art has to do with art being either borrowed from a previous SJGames product (as often happens), or licensed from a stock art vendor.
Old 04-07-2022, 10:14 PM   #32
corwyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldo View Post
I use Amazon for PODs, hoping to see the book there...
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/155...750_em_1p_0_lm

Playing: GURPS Nordlond Dragons of Hosgarth
Running Savage Worlds Tour of Darkness (Vietnam + Mythos)
corwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 09:36 PM   #33
tbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCrowley View Post
So I can play a dungeon delving Captain America.
Yep. Looking at the write-up, shield-bearers would make a fun defensive ring line protecting a boss villain. Or a famed order of bodyguards for hire (ideally boosted with more IQ, Per, Tactics, etc.). And, of course, "dwarven defenders" (a D&D thing, I think).

I want me a 50-point lens to quickly turn warrior types into shield-bearers, but this is a tough one. Enhanced Block 1 [5] (cutting costs already!), Shield Mastery [15], Weapon Master (Shields) [25], and the noted five 1-point advantages alone equal 50 points, before any points in skills. Gonna have to skimp somewhere!

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
tbone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 09:48 AM   #34
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone View Post
Yep. Looking at the write-up, shield-bearers would make a fun defensive ring line protecting a boss villain. Or a famed order of bodyguards for hire (ideally boosted with more IQ, Per, Tactics, etc.). And, of course, "dwarven defenders" (a D&D thing, I think).

I want me a 50-point lens to quickly turn warrior types into shield-bearers, but this is a tough one. Enhanced Block 1 [5] (cutting costs already!), Shield Mastery [15], Weapon Master (Shields) [25], and the noted five 1-point advantages alone equal 50 points, before any points in skills. Gonna have to skimp somewhere!
Look up Juggernaut in Delvers to Grow. It’s a great start.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 07:59 PM   #35
Dalin

The package obviously comes with Odious Personal Habit (Overly Defensive).
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 03:37 AM   #36
tbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
Look up Juggernaut in Delvers to Grow. It’s a great start.
Juggernaut is a fine start, offering 10 points in shield-related stuff. Stalwart adds another 14 points of shield-related things. Together they make for a capable defender.

For the fun of it, though, below is a quick attempt at 25-pt lenses for defenders with big dreams of a shield-bearer future. They're not the makings of well-rounded defenders, and don't try to build a shield-bearer or cover everything on its template. They're hyper-focused on just pure shield stuff, for slapping some shield-bearer feel onto characters who already have warrior basics from their profession/lenses/packages.

They're all pretty mix-and-match, too, except for a couple with components that have prerequisites. Of course, this mixing and matching assumes that the GM is allowing the character access to crazy levels of Shield Mastery and Enhanced Block.

The first three lenses focus on core mundane (?) advantages and Shield skill to build up a high Block score and DB.

Shield Warrior [25]
Advantages: Enhanced Block [5]; Shield Mastery [15]; Shield Wall Training [1]
Skills: Four points in Shield (Buckler)

Shield Guardian [25]
Advantages: Enhanced Block [5]; Sacrificial Block [1]; Shield Mastery [15]

Shield Warden [25]
Prerequisites: Shield Warrior and Shield Guardian
Advantages: Enhanced Block [5]; Hold the Line [1]; Shield Mastery [15]

The next two lenses go more cinematic. The first adds Weapon Master (Shields). The second adds cool abilities enabled by Weapon Master (Shields), plus Armor Mastery.

Shield-Fu Master [25]
Advantages: Weapon Master (Shields) [25]

Shield-Fu Grand Master [25]
Prerequisites: Shield-Fu Master, Shield Warrior
Advantages: Armor Mastery [5]; Enhanced Block [5]; Shield Familiarity 3 [3]
Skills: Four points each in Immovable Stance, Push, and Thrown Weapon (Shield)
Option: Allow Armor Mastery and Enhanced Block points to be spent instead on other advantages and skills from the Shield-Bearer template.

Hm. Not the way to build shield-defender lenses, but a way. Goofy names and all. (Anyone see problems in the write-ups?) I'll try slapping them onto some dwarven defenders, hobgoblin bodyguards, etc. who already have warrior basics down pat.

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
Old 04-10-2022, 07:20 AM   #37
thrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCrowley View Post
So I can play a dungeon delving Captain America.
Seems to be a fairly common variant for the tank archetype in Japanese rpgs, anyway:
The Rising of the Shield Hero
BOFURI: I Don't Want to Get Hurt, so I'll Max Out My Defense
... plus a host of minor characters supporting more conventional heroes.
thrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 09:11 PM   #38
Infornific

Quote:

If you're doing it Delvers to Go style, it would make sense to have a 25 point basic module and 50 point advanced module. That's 75 points to cover the essentials.
Infornific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 12:30 AM   #39
tbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infornific View Post
If you're doing it Delvers to Go style, it would make sense to have a 25 point basic module and 50 point advanced module. That's 75 points to cover the essentials.
You mean Delvers to Grow, I assume? Yeah, with any new* and fun profession like the shield-bearer, there's room to build all kinds of interesting things from it. Create bespoke basic, advanced, and upgrade modules for Delvers to Grow** or customize a 50-point Five Easy Pieces module; or, heading to the GURPS side, build a DF: 3-style 50-point lens***, or tweak Henchmen's standard and custom templates to re-create the profession...

(And then there are the undead-hunter and mage-hunter to play with...)

For now, though, I just wanted some quick shield-master lenses to drop onto existing warriors, to create immovable defenders and brick wall-like bodyguards. Done. (Though for leaders and bodyguards, I think I need one more lens combining some IQ, Combat Reflexes, Tactics, Observation, Leadership, etc. Good defense has to be smart.)

* Well, new as DFRPG book content; the Pyramid appearance goes back some years.

** Maybe just pointers to, or slight modifications of, existing modules; there are lots to choose from!

*** Tough to do, as I noted above. Might need to spend all 50 points on advantages, and direct the player to buy actual Shield skill from the base profession's points.

Last edited by tbone; 04-11-2022 at 12:38 AM. Reason: typo
Old 04-11-2022, 12:28 PM   #40
Infornific

Quote:
You mean Delvers to Grow, I assume? Yeah, with any new* and fun profession like the shield-bearer, there's room to build all kinds of interesting things from it. Create bespoke basic, advanced, and upgrade modules for Delvers to Grow** or customize a 50-point Five Easy Pieces module; or, heading to the GURPS side, build a DF: 3-style 50-point lens***, or tweak Henchmen's standard and custom templates to re-create the profession...

(And then there are the undead-hunter and mage-hunter to play with...)

For now, though, I just wanted some quick shield-master lenses to drop onto existing warriors, to create immovable defenders and brick wall-like bodyguards. Done. (Though for leaders and bodyguards, I think I need one more lens combining some IQ, Combat Reflexes, Tactics, Observation, Leadership, etc. Good defense has to be smart.)

* Well, new as DFRPG book content; the Pyramid appearance goes back some years.

** Maybe just pointers to, or slight modifications of, existing modules; there are lots to choose from!

*** Tough to do, as I noted above. Might need to spend all 50 points on advantages, and direct the player to buy actual Shield skill from the base profession's points.

Yes, Delvers to Grow. I keep forgetting there's something very different with a very similar name. Complicated by the inclusion of other delvers to go in Delvers to Grow. Since the Shield Bearer was created as a distinct template, I was thinking it would make sense to start it as a new base. But creating lenses for general use could also work. Does it have any rules for throwing shields?
Infornific is offline   Reply With Quote