Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-26-2009, 05:56 PM   #1
younglorax

Default Magery with Musical or Song limitation -- skill roll required?

If you take Magery with the Musical limitation or the Song limitation, are you required to succeed a Singing or Musical Instrument roll to use magic?

My guess is that the answer is "no," since it doesn't specifically say you are, but I want to be sure.
younglorax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 06:23 AM   #2
bolondro2

Default Re: Magery with Musical or Song limitation -- skill roll required?

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglorax View Post
If you take Magery with the Musical limitation or the Song limitation, are you required to succeed a Singing or Musical Instrument roll to use magic?

My guess is that the answer is "no," since it doesn't specifically say you are, but I want to be sure.
No. A second roll will greatly increase the fumble/faillure possibilities. Specially if your singing it's good, but not astonishing, lets say 14.

But I can, with easy, think in a master that want a magic user with the song limitation be skilled in singing, or a magic user with the dance limitation be skilled in dance, and that's a horse of a different color.

Some suggestions. All of them home rules.

1.-You can invest in a single spell no more//*2//*n develop points that the points you have invested in singing.

2-.You must have 1 point invested in singing

3.-You must have a 12, professional level in singing

4.--you must have a 12 in singing in order to have spells at skill 15, 15 in singing in order to have spells at 20+

5.-If you make a optional sing roll you get some minor benefits, and with a critical roll not-so-minor benefits. A failure gets you no harm and a fumble some minor drawback.

Personally I prefer that a magic user with the sing/dance limitation was a skilled person in this fields, but if you ask for too much skill, the points saving of the limitation starts lo lose sense, so I prefer options 2, 5, both, or, at most, 3 and 5.
Old 10-27-2009, 06:44 AM   #3
Rendu

There's no reason for Song/Dance- aspected Magery to require that you sing/dance well. Actually, that has possibilites- imagine a Song Mage with Incompetence (Music): "Cover your ears, I'm going for the Exploding Fireball!"
Rendu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 08:04 AM   #4
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Isn't there something like that for the Bard character class, in GURPS Dungeon Fantasy?
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 01:40 PM   #5
The_Nightwatch

I give a -10% Limitation for needing an otherwise unnecessary skill roll. It seems comparable enough with the unreliability-type limitations.
The_Nightwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 05:45 PM   #6
Cid SilverWing

By my definition you gotta succeed at all on Sing/Dance to pull off musical Magery. Failure will fizzle it, critfail will backfire or have you stumble/get the lyrics wrong.
Cid SilverWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 05:48 PM   #7
Diomedes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cid SilverWing View Post
By my definition you gotta succeed at all on Sing/Dance to pull off musical Magery. Failure will fizzle it, critfail will backfire or have you stumble/get the lyrics wrong.
I'd say that's subsumed into the skill roll for the spell itself.
Diomedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 06:33 PM   #8
Captain-Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglorax View Post

No. It's not explicitly stated that you have to make a successful singing roll. And as others have noted, the chance of failure because of a second roll would greatly move the lilmitation towards 'unusable in actual play'.

The Celebrity Rosanne Barr proved she could not sing when she sang the National Anthem at a baseball game a few years back. Barr could, under the rules as written be a song magery wizard. It'd just be unpleasant to hear her casting spells.

The song, music and dance names are if anything game color.

The limitations in effect are: "You must use verbal components loudly regardless of skill, but get to disregard gesturing restrictions" for 'song', "You must make extensive body movements when casting but get to disregard verbal restrictions" for 'dance' and "You must operate a device which can be heard clearly at a distance, disregard verbal and gesturing restrictions' for casting.
...VVVVVVV
..^^^^^^^

A clock running two hours slow has the correct time zero times a day.
Captain-Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 09:32 AM   #9
The_Nightwatch

I'd still be more comfortable requiring, say, the spell skill can't exceed the musical skill than require two rolls. If rolling a 14 or less is a 92% chance (it's something like that), rolling two 14's is only about an 85% chance.
The_Nightwatch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
magery, musical, musical instrument, song