Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 04-18-2012, 12:01 PM   #301
tantric
Banned

Default Re: Real-Life Weirdness

I'm currently residing in a small rural town, population 15,000 in the SE. For reasons that are unclear to me, there is a Buddhist monk in full regalia wondering around. The first time I saw him, I thought I was hallucinating (which does happen). I just said "Namaste" and kept going. I just saw him again, though, and so did my father. Hmmm - is his name Ped Xing? Did he come from the tunnel network connecting Shambhala with the hollow world?

(yes, I'm back)
tantric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:50 PM   #302
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantric View Post
I'm currently residing in a small rural town, population 15,000 in the SE. For reasons that are unclear to me, there is a Buddhist monk in full regalia wondering around. The first time I saw him, I thought I was hallucinating (which does happen). I just said "Namaste" and kept going. I just saw him again, though, and so did my father. Hmmm - is his name Ped Xing? Did he come from the tunnel network connecting Shambhala with the hollow world?

(yes, I'm back)
One weird guy in "costume" wandering around rises to the level of posting to this thread weird?
You should come to Oregon. Every few minutes you will see the same. :)
Our unofficial motto is "Keep Oregon Weird".
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:30 PM   #303
Dalillama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
One weird guy in "costume" wandering around rises to the level of posting to this thread weird?
You should come to Oregon. Every few minutes you will see the same. :)
Our unofficial motto is "Keep Oregon Weird".
For instance, here in Portland, we are the home of the one and only Unipiper
Dalillama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 03:19 PM   #304
Anaraxes

The Special Operations Actions Group of the (North) Korean People's Army's Supreme Command has announced imminent actions against South Korea.

Quote:
"Once the above-said special actions kick off, they will reduce all the rat-like groups and the bases for provocations to ashes in three or four minutes, in much shorter time, by unprecedented peculiar means and methods of our own style."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/...8aT_story.html
Three or four minutes is of course far too long for a nuclear weapon explosion, and of course would hardly be unprecedented or peculiar, so that explanation is out.

Apparently Korean men who stare at goats get much better than American ones. Or perhaps the Manaclypse can be found underground in a cave near Punggye-ri.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:36 PM   #305
Johnny1A.2

I do not recall if this has been mentioned before, but it is definitely a case of real-life 'weirdness', or at least unusualness:

The Clock of the Long Now

More or less, there is an organization trying to build a clock that will run and keep time unsupervised for ten thousand years.
Johnny1A.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:45 PM   #306
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny1A.2 View Post
I do not recall if this has been mentioned before, but it is definitely a case of real-life 'weirdness', or at least unusualness:

The Clock of the Long Now

More or less, there is an organization trying to build a clock that will run and keep time unsupervised for ten thousand years.
Perfect for the time traveler to calibrate their machine.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:09 PM   #307
Johnny1A.2

Not 'weird' precisely, but definitely unusual:

Independence Rock

It was a natural trail-marker for settlers moving westward in the 19th century, those who reached the feature by July 4 were considered to be 'on schedule' to get over the Rockies before winter.

Speaking of geological features, there is the old volcano in southern Illinois...well, sort of and almost:

Hicks Dome

Located in Hardin County, Illinois, amid rolling hills, farmlands, and deep layers of sedimentary rock and fertile soils, is this interesting feature. Suspected of being a proto-volcano that did not quite make it all the way to the surface in the Mesozoic Age, it's definitely not the sort of thing most people think about when they think 'southern Illinois'.

In fact, it is suspected of being part of a chain of such igneous oddities stretching across the southeastern USA, and some people think it might just be a remnant of the Bermuda 'hot spot' as North America moved westward driven by the motion of the plates.
Johnny1A.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:41 AM   #308
William

In a thread on spears:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm
My paternal grandparents had a bundle of spears in their attic; I have no idea why.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm
They also had a bow, arrows that were supposedly poisoned once, and several other things that couldn't be explained.
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:31 PM   #309
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
In a thread on spears:
World jumpers after they settled down!
Maybe Kromm really is part god.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:38 PM   #310
William