Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-09-2013, 06:24 PM   #491
panton41

Default Re: GURPS Spaceships Design Spreadsheet

I just wanted to check in and mention that whatever the bug I had before with Word 2013 was gone with the newest update.

Quirks: Doesn't proofread forum posts before clicking "Submit". [-1]

Quote:
"My mace speaks Goblin." Antoni Ten Monros
panton41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:45 PM   #492
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Version 2.0 Release Candidate 7
  • Corrected several significant errors
  • Incorporated near full Macro support into the OpenOffice version of the sheet.
    • You can now load and save ships from/to either of the Save Sheets (Saved Ships or Official Ships) the Design Table. There are new buttons at the top of the Design Table as well as the Save Sheets to run these macros. Also, there is a selection menu at the Top Right of the Design Table to select which Sheet and which Ship within the sheet to load from, or which sheet to save the current ship into.
    • You can also load or reset just parts of a ship (using the checkboxes at the top-right of the Design Table)
    • You can Import ships from other Files into this one. This means that you can easily update your older ships. To do so both files must be saved in the same directory and you must manually type in the file name in the appropriate field in the Design Table.

This version represents an important milestone because I've now incorporated most of the Macros from the Excel version into the OpenOffice version. Unfortunately, while these Macros work fairly well they are slow as snails in OpenOffice v3.4.x and LibreOffice v4. I have no idea why they are so slow; the code to load a ship runs in about 5 seconds in Excel, 15 seconds to run the ported code in OpenOffice v3.3.x, but in the newer programs they take several minutes to run (3-5 minutes in my testing). I don't know why they are running so slow, nor can I do anything about it. My suggestion here is to either just live with it or revert to the older version of OpenOffice (OpenOffice v3.2.0 Portable would be particularly good for this, as it won't interfere with another install of OO v3.4.x or LibreOffice).

Note that at this point there is one important Macro I still haven't incorporated into this sheet, and that is the ability to import all ships in the Save Sheets forward into a newer version of this SpreadSheet (you can import individual ships from the Design Table, but not all ships in the Save Sheet all at once). This Macro will surely be incorporated into my next revision, so that you can easily import your own ships forward into future versions of the sheet.

Excel 2000
http://gurpsland.no-ip.org/zip/SpaceshipsV2.7z (1.24MB)
http://gurpsland.no-ip.org/zip/SpaceshipsV2.zip (2.72MB)

Excel 2007
http://gurpsland.no-ip.org/zip/SpaceshipsV2-2007.7z (3.33MB)
http://gurpsland.no-ip.org/zip/SpaceshipsV2-2007.zip (3.43MB)

OpenOffice 3.2.0/3.3.0/3.4.x/LiberOffice 4
http://gurpsland.no-ip.org/zip/SpaceshipsV2-Ooo.7z (2.14MB)
http://gurpsland.no-ip.org/zip/SpaceshipsV2-Ooo.zip (2.56MB)
Kaboom-baya.

Last edited by ericbsmith; 05-13-2013 at 08:48 PM.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:20 AM   #493
adimar

Hi Eric.
I think there is a problem with the new sheet.
Performance profiles (specifically for Fusion Pulse drive & Space) don't work properly . (give some drop down that looks like combat ranges, 10-mile, 100 mile etc)

10x for your continued work
Adi
adimar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:33 PM   #494
ericbsmith

I'm re-uploading the file now (it'll be just a minute), with the Air & Space profiles corrected.
Kaboom-baya.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:27 AM   #495
clawthewolf

I can't select Size modifier, I click on the drop down menu but no options at all appears
clawthewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:38 AM   #496
DaltonS

This is a Wish List item that I realize might be difficult to implement, but would like to see added to the long term TODO list anyway.

Custom Systems Sheet

There are many reasons why being able to add custom system definitions to the spreadsheet would be a good thing.
  1. New systems defined in a Pyramid article. (Or in the forum.)
  2. Adaptations of Real World tech to ship's systems.
  3. Variant performance specifications for ultra-tech systems in specific settings. (For example, my GURPSification of STARFIRE type Reactionless Drives.)

Dalton “who thinks customizing spacecraft performance is a good thing Spence
DaltonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:15 AM   #497
Humabout

I've just edited the system stats or added my own directly. You just have to unhide the spreadsheet that contains the system info; the rest is pretty self-explanatory, thanks to Eric's layout and labeling.

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:53 AM   #498
DaltonS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humabout View Post
I've just edited the system stats or added my own directly. You just have to unhide the spreadsheet that contains the system info; the rest is pretty self-explanatory, thanks to Eric's layout and labeling.
How do I "unhide the spreadsheet that contains the system info" in OpenOffice? I thought it was all password locked.

Dalton “who is nervous about user mods to core data” Spence
DaltonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:24 AM   #499
Humabout

In Excel (I'm not using Open Office, so you'll have to consult the manual/help file for such things), it has no password. I assume the same is true for the Open Office version.

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 05:26 PM   #500
ericbsmith

There's nothing password protected in either version of the sheet. I do have the main sheets Protected, but not with a password. Some of the operating Macros are used to reinforce this protection, as certain changes that some Macros make have to unprotect the sheet, so they then Protect it again.

In OpenOffice Format -> Sheet -> Show
There are 5 hidden sheets, the two you most likely want are SystemsV2 and SystemStats

In the Excel version using Macros there's also a hidden "feature" I developed for myself. In the Design Table sheet if you click on the blank "button" just above the Significant Figures box it'll automatically select the cell just above Significant Figures, which is hidden behind the blank button. Use the drop-down menu it offers to switch to True and it will automatically unprotect and unhide all sheets (and prevents the Macros from protecting it until you switch back). When you switch it back to False and it'll hide and protect them again. I use this to take the whole Spreadsheet from editing mode to use mode.
Kaboom-baya.

Tags
design, game aids, gurpsland, program, sheet, spaceships, spreadsheet