Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 12-17-2021, 09:00 AM   #1
hcobb

Default Mundane Talents and Backgrounds

ITL 36 notes an option rule for 1 point of talent to help fill out a character's background. Here is an example of how I apply this for a background template for PCs to use as the players find suitable.

Template: Former Apprentice
Background: A wizard who until recently served as an apprentice somewhere, providing fatigue for enchantment and doing other tasks.
Requirements: Character is a wizard who pays for the Aid spell.
Mundane bonus talent: Literacy is the one point of mundane talent.
Background implications: The character was an apprentice serving a wizard's guild, coven, or a lone master. They are therefore to some extent still enmeshed in either the continuing politics of their patron, on bad terms with this patron, or dealing with the breakup or fall of this patron. They are assumed to have no net credit in either case. They can reach back to these contacts, but will need to provide boons at least equal to the favors they ask for. Conversely the GM may reach through these contacts to the PC, but only in terms of job or mission offers, not requirements.
Old 12-17-2021, 10:24 AM   #2
Skarg

Default Re: Mundane Talents and Backgrounds

The background you wrote is nice.

However:

ITL 36 says that in an optional rule in the Mundane Talents section, which is about the talents listed there, which doesn't include Literacy, which is one of the most useful talents there is.

So claiming Literacy as a "free" talent seems more like a way to try to get a really useful talent for free, instead of having to take Baker, Draper, Gardener...
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 10:47 AM   #3
TippetsTX

I have to agree with Skarg... I can see expansion or even an alternative acquisition model for 'mundane' talents, but I can't see adding LITERACY to that list.
Old 12-17-2021, 11:11 AM   #4
hcobb

What then is the most common talent that almost every apprentice learns in order to accomplish their daily tasks?
Old 12-17-2021, 11:41 AM   #5
TippetsTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
What then is the most common talent that almost every apprentice learns in order to accomplish their daily tasks?
I get it, Henry. LITERACY might be considered a 'wizard tax'... unless your definition of wizards includes spellcasters able to learn magic intuitively w/o formal training or study (i.e. Spell Savants).
Old 12-17-2021, 12:20 PM   #6
Axly Suregrip

I can see a hedge wizard, shaman or witch being a full wizard without being literate. They learn their craft my word of mouth, not from reading. If anything, it makes the master/apprentice relationship more necessary.

So, yes, literacy is a critical talent for wizard, a wizard tax if you will, but not to be assumed or given for free.
Axly Suregrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 02:01 PM   #7
hcobb

Are there any nominations for a better general mundane talent for apprentices? Note that I don't assume free because the cost is the background of the character.

I'd also give Literacy as a mundane talent for nobles that were courtly graces types, not sword knights.
Old 12-17-2021, 02:21 PM   #8
Shostak

Mundane Talent: Housekeeper (1) This talent gives represents the ability to keep shelves stocked and organized, rooms tidied, bookshelves organized, etc.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 03:17 PM   #9
TippetsTX

I think the solution to the LITERACY gap is to link the talent to some kind of Education Table. The idea is similar to the Jobs Table, but it sucks money instead of granting it (or creates debt). At the end of the 'term of service' characters come out with a few specific talents.
Old 12-17-2021, 03:45 PM   #10
Skarg

Cultures with high illiteracy, and wizardly assistants in TFT, can manage to do most things just fine. Literacy is still a great and no-doubt pretty common talent for wizards to have, but none of that means it ought to be free.

Of course, it can be fun and interesting when a GM adds a whole layer to character creation where different choices for background can have effects on what PCs start with, and what their situation and connections start out like.

I assume it is pretty common that many wizards learned some non-wizardly talent(s) before it was sorted out that they had wizardly gifts and ought to be studying magic rather than their family trade, etc.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote