Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-20-2017, 02:41 PM   #831
DaltonS

Default Re: GURPS Spaceships Design Spreadsheet

A couple of bugs I've noticed recently:
  1. Ever since I added a "Saved Ships" sheet for my own ships, whenever I use a top row button to get to another sheet I end up there. I have to use the sheet tabs to get the one I want.
  2. I tried to add a "Vehicle Dock" as a "Smaller System" and got a recursion error message. The "Vehicle Dock" name ended up in the sub-system name cell but without showing any stats, joining with a following small "Vehicle Dock" or adding to the hull section's auxiliary vehicle space.

Dalton “Any ideas?” Spence
DaltonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 08:56 PM   #832
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaltonS View Post
[*]Ever since I added a "Saved Ships" sheet for my own ships, whenever I use a top row button to get to another sheet I end up there. I have to use the sheet tabs to get the one I want.
All of them? Or just the Save Sheets buttons? I'm not even sure how it's possible for all of them to stop working. The only ones that change target destination are the Design Table and Save Sheet buttons, the other buttons are set up to target specific tables.

Quote:
[*]I tried to add a "Vehicle Dock" as a "Smaller System" and got a recursion error message. The "Vehicle Dock" name ended up in the sub-system name cell but without showing any stats, joining with a following small "Vehicle Dock" or adding to the hull section's auxiliary vehicle space.
This one I figured out where the error lies and I'm re-uploading RC17 with this error fixed.
Kaboom-baya.

Last edited by ericbsmith; 02-20-2017 at 09:18 PM.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 09:06 PM   #833
ericbsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by loofou View Post
There is still the Sheet Size Error 1004 (when using the Zoom or Resolution buttons in the Design Table).
Unfortunately I don't have the foggiest idea what's causing this error. I've made a few changes that may help with this, but it may not, as I'm just guessing right now.

Quote:
Popups for the Ship Systems are empty on start, but as soon as you load a ship and reset, they work fine.
Note that these are supposed to be blank until you input a ship SM & TL, because without knowing the SM & TL of the ship it's impossible to know what systems are available and which must be filtered. Do Ship System drop-down menus stay blank even after you set ship SM & TL? If they do can you set SM & TL and then save me a copy of the sheet?
Kaboom-baya.

Last edited by ericbsmith; 02-20-2017 at 09:48 PM.
Old 02-21-2017, 12:02 AM   #834
Rupert

Using the latest version, with Excel 2007, the cell (BB23, Design Table) in which one is supposed to manually enter a ship length claims it's protected. EDIT: I was trying to enter the number in the wrong cell. Ignore this bug.

Also, and this has never worked for me, the 'Electro-Mechanical Computers' option doesn't change the complexity of the Control Room computer. Note that 'Advanced Computer' (the Transhuman Space option) does.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."

Last edited by Rupert; 02-21-2017 at 12:09 AM.
Rupert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 06:54 AM   #835
DaltonS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
Quote:
[*]Ever since I added a "Saved Ships" sheet for my own ships, whenever I use a top row button to get to another sheet I end up there. I have to use the sheet tabs to get the one I want.
All of them? Or just the Save Sheets buttons? I'm not even sure how it's possible for all of them to stop working. The only ones that change target destination are the Design Table and Save Sheet buttons, the other buttons are set up to target specific tables.
Only the top row "Design Table" button redirects to the "Saved Ships 1" sheet, but it does this from any sheet except the "Design Table" one. Also, there is no "Saved Ships 1" button on any but the saved ship sheets.
Quote:
Quote:
[*]I tried to add a "Vehicle Dock" as a "Smaller System" and got a recursion error message. The "Vehicle Dock" name ended up in the sub-system name cell but without showing any stats, joining with a following small "Vehicle Dock" or adding to the hull section's auxiliary vehicle space.
This one I figured out where the error lies and I'm re-uploading RC17 with this error fixed.
And yet ...
Quote:
Version 2.0 Release Candidate 17
-A couple minor bug fixes
-Added a rudimentary Regional Setting detection to the Office 2007 version.
Excel 2007 (RC16)
Was that not enough to raise the RC number? ;)

Dalton “who missed the latest RC update” Spence
Old 02-21-2017, 10:32 AM   #836
loofou

Quote:
Unfortunately I don't have the foggiest idea what's causing this error. I've made a few changes that may help with this, but it may not, as I'm just guessing right now.
Well, according to the microsoft documentation this has something to do with resizing cells with text inside. Their recommended fix/workaround is to set font size of the cell to 2 and back to the original font size after the resize.

If I would put workarounds like that into production code, my boss would kill me xD

From reading the documentation I don't really get why they throw this error in the first place. It feels more like a warning if anything. I mean if I want to resize a cell to a size where the text does not fit in anymore, I should be able to do that?

Latest resave if needed: https://www.dropbox.com/s/qgo2w8clkw...0221.xlsm?dl=0
loofou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 06:10 PM   #837
ericbsmith

Quote:
Only the top row "Design Table" button redirects to the "Saved Ships 1" sheet, but it does this from any sheet except the "Design Table" one.
I don't know how that could happen. It literally shouldn't happen at all.

Quote:
Also, there is no "Saved Ships 1" button on any but the saved ship sheets.
That is normal. I'm just running out of room for buttons. However, if you want you can grab the tab at the bottom of the sheet and reorder the Saved Ships sheet tabs and the left-most two should appear on buttons on all other sheets.

Quote:
Was that not enough to raise the RC number? ;)
Since I went back- and-forth with several small fixes I just updated RC17 rather than updating the RC number.

Quote:
Well, according to the microsoft documentation this has something to do with resizing cells with text inside. Their recommended fix/workaround is to set font size of the cell to 2 and back to the original font size after the resize.

If I would put workarounds like that into production code, my boss would kill me xD
The thing is, the zoom function doesn't change cell sizes at all (except the 75%, which may force the resolution to bump up from the lowest, since there's an issue with 75% zoom and the 800px res). What is getting resized is the checkboxes across the top section of the sheet, and I can force the 1004 error to pop up there - but only if I am trying to resize a checkbox on a sheet that is not currently active, which shouldn't be happening since the resolution only changes the column width and checkbox widths in the active sheet.

Quote:
From reading the documentation I don't really get why they throw this error in the first place. It feels more like a warning if anything. I mean if I want to resize a cell to a size where the text does not fit in anymore, I should be able to do that?
In fact, you can do that. Excel doesn't have a problem with you making cells so small that text doesn't fit. Like I said, I'm not sure why exactly it's pitching this error, especially for you but not for me.
Kaboom-baya.

Last edited by ericbsmith; 02-21-2017 at 08:31 PM.
Old 02-22-2017, 03:00 PM   #838
loofou

Quote:
Like I said, I'm not sure why exactly it's pitching this error, especially for you but not for me.
Well, if I'm the only person with this error - and actually it does not seem to prevent anything from happening - and the rest of the sheet works fine, then don't sweat it! You already did quite a lot to make the sheet work better on newer Excel versions.

Maybe if I have some time on the weekend, I'll go into the macros and do some brute force debugging to find out which line is causing the issue.
loofou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 08:21 AM   #839
DaltonS

Quote:
Quote:
Only the top row "Design Table" button redirects to the "Saved Ships 1" sheet, but it does this from any sheet except the "Design Table" one. Also, there is no "Saved Ships 1" button on any but the saved ship sheets.
I don't know how that could happen. It literally shouldn't happen at all.
Well it does, and still is. Not a big problem; that top row of buttons isn't really needed since the sheet tabs can be used. (Maybe a drop-down list control would work instead.)

Some "Auxiliary Craft" Questions:
  1. What is the purpose of the "Auxiliary Craft" sheet, and how do I use it? I tried to load a cargo lighter I designed there from my "Saved Ships 1" sheet, but nothing showed up on the ships list for that sheet.
  2. I noticed that a non-superscience ship can't have TL^ auxiliary craft. Is that filter really necessary? Shouldn't size be the only qualifying factor?

Dalton “who really needs some documentation for all the new features” Spence

Last edited by DaltonS; 02-23-2017 at 08:24 AM.
Old 02-25-2017, 07:47 AM   #840
Krasudreal

Quote:
Version 2.0 Release Candidate 17
-A couple minor bug fixes
-Added a rudimentary Regional Setting detection to the Office 2007 version.
--This checks the Regional Settings for Excel itself the first time the file is opened and if you are not using custom settings which set a . as the decimal separator and , as the thousand separator it offers a dialog to set these for you (this means even if you are using Windows Default Settings, and Windows Default Settings use these, you'll still get the dialog; AFAIK there is no way for me to check the Windows Default Settings to suppress the dialog).
--This dialog only shows up the first time you open the file and only if it detects you are not using the compatible settings. "First time" resets if you use Save As to save the file; the next time you open it after Saving As will be treated as the first time.

You can download the spreadsheet here:

Excel 2000 (RC17)
http://gurpsland.no-ip.org/zip/SpaceshipsV2.zip (5.1 MB)
http://gurpsland.no-ip.org/zip/SpaceshipsV2.7z (~2.5 MB)

Excel 2007 (RC16)
http://gurpsland.no-ip.org/zip/SpaceshipsV2-2007.zip (~6.3 MB)
http://gurpsland.no-ip.org/zip/SpaceshipsV2-2007.7z (~6.2 MB)

OpenOffice 3.3.0 (RC9)
http://gurpsland.no-ip.org/zip/SpaceshipsV2-Ooo.zip (~2.1 MB)
http://gurpsland.no-ip.org/zip/SpaceshipsV2-Ooo.7z (~1.9 MB)
Sorry for the long delay.
Just want to say that so far, it has worked like a charm! thanks! Everything works!

Edit: I take it back... I spoke too soon, I have to mark the "Don't filter system by SM"... And the automatic calculations doesn't seem to take effect once I choose a system

Last edited by Krasudreal; 02-25-2017 at 08:38 AM. Reason: Oops
Krasudreal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
design, game aids, gurpsland, program, sheet, spaceships, spreadsheet