Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-29-2016, 04:07 PM   #11
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.
Default Re: GURPS Spaceships Design Spreadsheet

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaltonS View Post
I need a little clarification on “Modular Sections” (RC10). I know there is something about modular systems in the Spaceships books, and I can using these rules for Small or Tiny modular sections, but the larger sizes might have different rules.
This was my attempt to design something like the Modular Cutter from GURPS Traveller. Many of the questions you asked would depend on how, exactly, the ship is designed, but normally a module would be designed to fit a specific ship or a specific universe (such as Traveller) might have a standardized module size that all modules would conform to. How the performance, the Modular Cutter itself doesn't get any real performance benefits from not having the module installed because the module serves as part of the structural reinforcement; without a module in place it can't accelerate any faster as it would risk breaking it's back in such a maneuver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaltonS View Post
This implies that the ship can function without the modules. After dropping a Standard or Large modular section, the ship's mass is reduced one or two thirds. Does this affect the ship's STL and FTL space performance? Does the reduced volume affect shield dDR?
Performance may increase, but it may not as there may be inherant limits to the systems or the ship's design. I wouldn't change dDR; the shape of the ship isn't changing, neither is the thickness of the armor. There's no reason dDR would change.
Kaboom-baya.

Last edited by ericbsmith; 08-29-2016 at 04:12 PM.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
design, game aids, gurpsland, program, sheet, spaceships, spreadsheet