Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-19-2016, 05:59 PM   #741
davester65

Default Re: GURPS Spaceships Design Spreadsheet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
That shouldn't be possible, as damage is always looked up on a table so it should only ever pull up a value from the table. I'd need to see an actual example ship (or, at least, know the TL, SM, Weapon Mount size, etc).
I did some more fiddling. It seems to only do it on the second row of damages and lower and only when I use the square root of destruction option. Here's a before and after sample I pasted from the program.
It's from the design of a TL-11, SM +12 ship. The first two are from major battery 3GJ rapid fire x-ray lasers and the third is from medium battery 100 MJ VRF lasers. The 4th is from 48 cm missiles which seem unaffected.

3dx10 (5) burn sur
3dx10 (5) burn sur
2dx5 (2) burn
6dx12 (2) cr

8dx20 (5) burn sur
1750 (5) burn sur
315 (2) burn
6dx12 (2) cr
davester65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 06:16 AM   #742
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davester65 View Post
I did some more fiddling. It seems to only do it on the second row of damages and lower and only when I use the square root of destruction option.
Yup, there it is. It looks like I corrected a formula but forgot to copy it down the column, so it's corrected in only the first row there. And you are correct, it's only an issue with Square Root of Destruction; essentially it's using a column offset and is looking in the wrong column for the data for SRoD.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 10:27 AM   #743
DaltonS

Hi, it's me again, with another item for the wish list. (Stop throwing things!)

Hot-Bunk

An option for all crew bunks and cabins. These quarters are shared between two or three crew shifts for two or three times the cost for additional life support (or free if no life support). This assumes that only one shift is using quarters at any time, with other shifts either on-duty or off-duty but not in quarters. Suitable recreation areas should be provided for off-duty personnel. This can stretch accommodations on cramped vessels.

Dalton “Get out of my damn bunk!” Spence
DaltonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 08:41 AM   #744
DaltonS

Okay, this is a bit of a bug report. Recently, due to my new computer's nagging, I finally fell to the dark side and installed Microsoft Office. This gave me a chance to check out the Excel version of the spreadsheet (V2 RC10) and compare it to the OpenOffice version (V2 RC9). Funny thing; the TL4 Pirate Galley I designed on the OO version didn't show any of the water performance stats for the ship's oars or sails when I wrote it on the Excel version. Huh?

Dalton “whose XL boat is going nowhere fast” Spence
Old 08-25-2016, 06:21 PM   #745
ericbsmith

Looks like I broke a small piece of code that allowed it to count how many Oars and Sails the ship has for computing performance. Since it can't count them it assumes zero and doesn't display the statistics.
Kaboom-baya.
Old 08-26-2016, 10:18 AM   #746
DaltonS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
Looks like I broke a small piece of code that allowed it to count how many Oars and Sails the ship has for computing performance. Since it can't count them it assumes zero and doesn't display the statistics.
Okay. I'll let you get at the fix then. Just let us know when a corrected version (of either sheet) is up so we can DL and test it.

Dalton “who’s just drifting along, singing this song...” Spence
Old 08-26-2016, 07:22 PM   #747
ericbsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaltonS View Post
Okay. I'll let you get at the fix then. Just let us know when a corrected version (of either sheet) is up so we can DL and test it.
I'm thinking I'll likely do a RC11 for Excel soonish. I just found another bug I introduced sometime that I need to fix; so probably after that. I don't know when I'll get another OpenOffice release done; the updates I did in RC10 and RC11 will significantly improve Macro performance in OO, but they also require a lot of rewriting of the OO specific Macros, which I just haven't had the inclination to do since I use the Excel version.
Kaboom-baya.
Old 08-28-2016, 03:27 PM   #748
Calvin

I'm trying to add the Collapsible Fuel Tank upgrade to the Cargo bays on my ship. I can do it on the excel version of the sheet, but some of my PCs don't have excel so I'm trying in the Open Office version. And for some reason I don't get the option to do it.

Is there some setting I need to change?

EDIT: I had though it was under the Unofficial Systems & Rules, but I already have it checked. And I toggled it off and on to try to fix it but the upgrade still does not appear.

Last edited by Calvin; 08-28-2016 at 03:30 PM.
Calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 08:28 PM   #749
ericbsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin View Post
I'm trying to add the Collapsible Fuel Tank upgrade to the Cargo bays on my ship. I can do it on the excel version of the sheet, but some of my PCs don't have excel so I'm trying in the Open Office version. And for some reason I don't get the option to do it.

Is there some setting I need to change?
The OpenOffice version is currently on RC9, Excel is RC10. There are features added in RC10 that may not be available in RC9. I don't recall if the collapsible fuel tank is one of them (and don't have time to check it right now), but it probably is.
Kaboom-baya.
Old 08-29-2016, 12:27 PM   #750
DaltonS

I need a little clarification on “Modular Sections” (RC10). I know there is something about modular systems in the Spaceships books, and I can using these rules for Small or Tiny modular sections, but the larger sizes might have different rules.
Quote:
Many times these modules are designed to be used on their own, independent of a ship, allowing a modular ship to take a module to a planet and drop it off for use there.
This implies that the ship can function without the modules. After dropping a Standard or Large modular section, the ship's mass is reduced one or two thirds. Does this affect the ship's STL and FTL space performance? Does the reduced volume affect shield dDR?
Quote:
Each module should be designed as a ship of the appropriate SM.
Does this mean the module can actually be a ship? Could it be streamlined when the ship it's attached to isn't? Are these modular sockets customized for a particular class of module like Vehicle Docks are? What are the rules for attaching/detaching modules?

Dalton “Expiring minds need to kn....” Spence

Tags
design, game aids, gurpsland, program, sheet, spaceships, spreadsheet