Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-15-2016, 03:23 PM   #1
Jaware

Default Looking for a way to make a "turns into area cloud" type effect.

As the name suggests, I am looking for a way to make a character become a AOE type diffuse cloud. Sorta like the old "vampire turns into smoke" type thing.

I could have sworn that I found a thread where someone already went through this and successfully found a way, but for the life of me I can't find it... If you could post a link I'd appreciate it greatly.

Anyway.

What I am wanting to make is have the character be able to switch on alternate form after paying some cost sort of like a power/spell or whatever.

Then in turn the character (and what ever he's carrying) assumes the form of a cloud of liquid that can't interact with anything like doors, weapons, etc, for 3 seconds.

After that 3 seconds he goes back to his normal form and that's that.

But while he's in that form I'd like to have him have some sort of Leeching effect where it's a contact agent to those within a Area Effect with a range of 2 or so. Basically 7 hexes.

While enemies begin their turn in the area they suffer an attack roll that leeches their HP.

Mostly I'm trying to figure out the part of how to make a character go from a 1 hex entity to a 7 hex entity that takes up that space and hurts those inside.

I think the rest I may be able to figure out.

Any help would be appreciated as I am stumped.
Jaware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 03:28 PM   #2
Nereidalbel

Default Re: Looking for a way to make a "turns into area cloud" type effect.

Insubstantial with the Affects Substantial enhancement, Maximum Duration, and Reduced Duration 1/60. Then use Leech with Malediction, Aura, Area Effect (2 hexes), Affects Substantial, Only While Insubstantial, and Visible.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 03:30 PM   #3
spacemonkey

Injury Tolerance: Diffuse with the Swarm enhancement is something to look at.
Powers P. 53.
spacemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 03:39 PM   #4
Jaware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
Insubstantial with the Affects Substantial enhancement, Maximum Duration, and Reduced Duration 1/60. Then use Leech with Malediction, Aura, Area Effect (2 hexes), Affects Substantial, Only While Insubstantial, and Visible.
I was looking at maximum duration, but it says that the power would be on cool down for 5 minutes afterwards...I was looking for more of a 5 seconds afterwards.

But if he's insubstantial he wouldn't take damage form normal things right?

I'd feel a bit more comfortable if he could still take damage form stuff, like maybe a fire jet spell, or something similar.
Old 03-15-2016, 03:41 PM   #5
Jaware

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemonkey View Post
Injury Tolerance: Diffuse with the Swarm enhancement is something to look at.
Powers P. 53.
That was what I was looking at before I decided to ask the hive mind.

But how would I make the character itself take up the Area of effect? That was what I was running into problem with.
Old 03-15-2016, 03:42 PM   #6
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaware View Post
cool down... for more of a 5 seconds afterwards
Takes Recharge (B115)

Quote:
Yes. You might consider Injury Tolerance: Diffuse (which means you take one or two points of injury from most attacks; AoE is still nasty). Or you could give him specific Vulnerabilities in the Insubstantial/Diffuse form.

Quote:
But how would I make the character itself take up the Area of effect
A Diffuse Swarm can be anything up to 1/2 mile in radius when it scatters. See Powers p53.
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 03:45 PM   #7
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaware View Post
I was looking at maximum duration, but it says that the power would be on cool down for 5 minutes afterwards...I was looking for more of a 5 seconds afterwards.

I'd feel a bit more comfortable if he could still take damage form stuff, like maybe a fire jet spell, or something similar.
Then you need Diffuse with Swarm (+80%), change the Only While Insubstantial on the Leech into Only While Diffuse, drop the Area Effect, and use Requires Recharge (5 seconds) with Reduced Duration 1/20 instead of Maximum Duration.
Old 03-15-2016, 03:47 PM   #8
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
Or you could give him specific Vulnerabilities in the Insubstantial/Diffuse form.
Won't work; Diffuse drops injury to a maximum of 2 or 1 after wounding modifiers, including Vulnerability.
Old 03-15-2016, 03:51 PM   #9
Jaware

Quote:
Then you need Diffuse with Swarm (+80%), change the Only While Insubstantial on the Leech into Only While Diffuse, drop the Area Effect, and use Requires Recharge (5 seconds) with Reduced Duration 1/20 instead of Maximum Duration.
I was looking, and the diffuse with swarm said you can change the area with Area effect modifier. Would that work well?

And which book is reduced duration in? Got any clue off the top of your head?
Old 03-15-2016, 03:52 PM   #10
Anaraxes

Quote:
Won't work; Diffuse drops injury to a maximum of 2 or 1 after wounding modifiers, including Vulnerability.
The "or" in the sentence pairs with "Diffuse"; the Vulnerability would be if the OP went with an Insubstantial build.

Though I'm still assuming adding a specific Vulnerability will override the more general protection from Insubstantial. Otherwise, you have to invent a specific Limitation for Insubstantial ("Everything but X, Y, and Z"). I didn't check to see if there's RAW on that topic or not.
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
advantages, aoe, help needed, leech, powers