Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-31-2013, 08:35 AM   #51
Dangerious P. Cats

Default Re: Pros and cons of growing your own island nation?

The other thing you might want to consider is setting up an eco-system on the island. It's not going to be a very good place to live without trees and grass and you'll need to grow food which for better or worse works better when you have critters and plants around. On the plus since you might find it easier to avoid pests by simply not bringing them onto your island.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:43 AM   #52
Jerander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerious P. Cats View Post
The other thing you might want to consider is setting up an eco-system on the island. It's not going to be a very good place to live without trees and grass and you'll need to grow food which for better or worse works better when you have critters and plants around. On the plus since you might find it easier to avoid pests by simply not bringing them onto your island.
I don't think it's possible to keep pests off the island through mundane means. Pests spread easily. However, a wizard of this power might have the Repel Vermin spell.
Jerander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:56 AM   #53
Proteus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune View Post
Well there is always the good old Create Earth trick....
Create Earth takes 2 energy per cubic yard of earth created. That's going to take a while -- and involve lots of chances for critical failures and demon summonings.

Also, the earth has to be created in contact with the ground, meaning you either stack on range penalties to your castings, or hang out on the sea floor for the entire, long process.

I wonder how much throughput you could get from using Create Gate to make a connection to some elemental plane of magma, or directly to a known volcanic caldera? (Perhaps you curry favor with the United States by siphoning off eruptive potential from Yellowstone?) Alas, I suspect it would still be an undramatically slow process.
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:22 PM   #54
Fwibos

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrockNicholson View Post
Just because combat is one sided and very short does not make it not combat. If you get points taken off a spell because it is non-combat then any use of the spell to do violence should be off limits.
Well, if it's combat, you get bonuses to hit. What's the size modifire of a city? Somewhere of a +28? And you get +3 for being over your oppoennt. And they are probably unaware, so go ahead and make the first one a AoA Precise.

Stone missile has a range of 80. What are the consequences of shooting it straight down? Heck if I know. I'd rule that it dissipates (being amgic) but if it doesn't, then it becomes a falling object. Ouch.

There is seriously no reason to call it combat when a characetrs up 10000 feet dropping rocks until the city can mount a defense that actually can hit you at 10,000 feet.

That's like suggesting that launching ICBMs is "combat".
Word of God and Word of Kromm are pretty much the same thing in my book
Fwibos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:47 PM   #55
Rune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proteus View Post
Create Earth takes 2 energy per cubic yard of earth created. That's going to take a while -- and involve lots of chances for critical failures and demon summonings.
You misunderstood me :)
I was suggesting some other way of breaking the game. Not that there is much news in that suggestion - it's been since forever.
But the trick is not to build an island, it is to create iron, copper etc. and SELL it. You can become quite rich that way, and then just buy your own island (for that matter).
Rune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:00 PM   #56
Tuoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrockNicholson View Post
Just because combat is one sided and very short does not make it not combat. If you get points taken off a spell because it is non-combat then any use of the spell to do violence should be off limits.
Replace Non-Combat Only (where is that listed anyways?) with Accessibility: Useless under stress -60% (Basic Pg 110). Problem solved.
Tuoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:06 PM   #57
Jasonft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune View Post
You misunderstood me :)
I was suggesting some other way of breaking the game. Not that there is much news in that suggestion - it's been since forever.
But the trick is not to build an island, it is to create iron, copper etc. and SELL it. You can become quite rich that way, and then just buy your own island (for that matter).
Admittedly the game is broken in some ways, but so is real life. That bit of philosophy aside, buying your own island nation is too easy. Ideally I was hoping to grow an entirely new island as one of the side projects for the character while the game is ongoing.

The wtf reactions from the rest of the group when they found out that I was, in effect, now the head of a very small but recognized sovereign nation that I had created entirely by myself literally from the ground (seafloor in this case) up would have been wonderful.
Jasonft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:17 PM   #58
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuoni View Post
Replace Non-Combat Only (where is that listed anyways?) with Accessibility: Useless under stress -60% (Basic Pg 110). Problem solved.
The Noncombat was part of the Super Effort style enhancement to CM.
Its in Supers.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:01 AM   #59
Tuoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
The Noncombat was part of the Super Effort style enhancement to CM.
Its in Supers.
Aha! Found it! Thanks :)

Wow. That puts a different light on things. I'll have to remember that one.
Tuoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:31 AM   #60
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuoni View Post
Aha! Found it! Thanks :)

Wow. That puts a different light on things. I'll have to remember that one.
Your welcome :)
It exists for several other advantages as well.
I also House Ruled it for more, like Penetrating Vision.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
magic, supers