Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-04-2017, 12:39 PM   #1
Dalillama

Default Trinitite in Technomancer

Trinitite, mildly radioactive glass formed by a nuclear explosion, ought to be under the hellstorm if anyone goes to look, but what does it do? My first thought is a natural powerstone or something, but that's kinda boring; any other cool thoughts?
Dalillama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 12:48 PM   #2
Kelly Pedersen

Default Re: Trinitite in Technomancer

Well, in the slightly more interesting department, it could be a natural Powerstone aspected towards the demon-summoning Necromancy spells, or heavily quirked towards summoning demons.

Hmm. Other options:
  • Each piece is somehow tied to a demon, and having it while you cast a summoning spell is the equivalent of knowing that demon's True Name.
  • Along the same lines, each piece might let a specific demon reach out and contact the holder, whispering forbidden knowledge, dark bargains, etc. in their head, trying to get themselves summoned.
  • Trinitite might be a natural source of mana, capable of raising the mana level in any area it's brought to by a bit (this could be a full level, or you could subdivide it more finely, reducing the penalty for Low Mana by only -1, for instance, or, in normal mana areas, letting non-mages cast spells, but at -4).
  • It could be a "natural magic item" material - when integrated into the structure of an enchanted item, perhaps it provides a certain amount of the energy required to enchant it for free. Or counts as a Power enchantment on its own!
  • You could play up the "transformation" element, and have it be a useful component in things that change one type of substance to another - natural Powerstones for Earth to Stone spells, for instance. Or maybe holding on to a chunk of it for long enough could actually transform a human into something like an earth elemental - a magical being with crystal flesh, gemstone eyes, etc.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 12:57 PM   #3
rkbrown419

Death aspected power stone? Mana Enhancer (raises the local mana level) probably also death or radiation aspected. Turns local mana Wild.
rkbrown419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 01:15 PM   #4
Fred Brackin

I would expect that significant exposure to necromantically aspected glass would turn you into an Atomic Lich i.e. your flesh becomes as transparent as glass and you glow in the dark.

You'd never get a big enough piece of the stuff to make a Powerstone out of and that's _if_ you find some way to go digging under the still burning mushroom cloud at the site.
Old 07-04-2017, 04:50 PM   #5
Flyndaran
Untagged

Usually green slightly radioactive atomic glass.
Alchemical material used by a descendant of Robert Lewis Stevenson, because.. you know why. ;)
Old 07-04-2017, 05:01 PM   #6
Dalillama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
[*]Trinitite might be a natural source of mana, capable of raising the mana level in any area it's brought to by a bit (this could be a full level, or you could subdivide it more finely, reducing the penalty for Low Mana by only -1, for instance, or, in normal mana areas, letting non-mages cast spells, but at -4).[*]You could play up the "transformation" element, and have it be a useful component in things that change one type of substance to another - natural Powerstones for Earth to Stone spells, for instance. Or maybe holding on to a chunk of it for long enough could actually transform a human into something like an earth elemental - a magical being with crystal flesh, gemstone eyes, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
I would expect that significant exposure to necromantically aspected glass would turn you into an Atomic Lich i.e. your flesh becomes as transparent as glass and you glow in the dark.
Possibly it enhances local mana, but eventually makes you a glowing radioactive crystal skeleton with a personal wild mana field.

Quote:
You'd never get a big enough piece of the stuff to make a Powerstone out of and that's _if_ you find some way to go digging under the still burning mushroom cloud at the site.
I'd use an Earth elemental, or maybe a titanium golem.
Dalillama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 05:08 PM   #7
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalillama View Post
I'd use an Earth elemental, or maybe a titanium golem.
That sounds like 20 different kinds of crazy, all of which start with "Well what we sent in was an Earth elemental/golem..."
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 07:46 PM   #8
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
That sounds like 20 different kinds of crazy, all of which start with "Well what we sent in was an Earth elemental/golem..."
Since anything radioactive in Technomancer is invariably necromantically aspected only crazy people would want it in the first place.

Really, see the creation of Technomancer Vampires as well as the Atomic Liches and oh yeah, there's some sort of magically contagious brain-eating zombie disease connected with radiation too.

Then there are the randomly appearing demons in the nuclear reactors. Nope, you want to green on Merlin timelines.

Really ambitious but better balanced entrepeneurs are scheming to head to Mercury to find rare mana-soaked elements bombarded by the (apparently) non-aspected solar mana. Or possibly skipping the Necronium fission and seeing if fusion is less badly aspected.

Tags
glass, radioactive, technomancer