Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-30-2017, 04:29 AM   #1
Vynticator

Default Wing Chun: Realistic Sensitivity

I've got a Wing Chun stylist in a realistic campaign, and of course, being a horrible munchkin at heart, I'm interested in getting access to Sensitivity. I read that Wing Chun uses chi sao, 'sticking hands' to anticipate opponents' attacks. The perk Unusual Training (sensitivity) has the limitation 'Only while at least one hand is in physical contact with the opponent'. Now, how would you model this realistically and within GURPS?

In real Wing Chun, Chi Sao doesn't seem to rely on grapples or arm locks as such: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLbzoVnfE9c, more through very close combat with the hands in a contact guard position, reminding me of the way fencing swords are 'en garde'.

But the only way I would be able to model 'one hand in physical contact' in GURPS does seem to be using the grapple or arm lock.

Any thoughts from rules masters on the forums? Any help much appreciated!
Vynticator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 07:44 AM   #2
weby

Default Re: Wing Chun: Realistic Sensitivity

You really should not have sensitivity in a realistic campaign as it is in effect low level psi ability or similar non realistic power.

As to how to model a touch only sensitivity: Sensitivity(melee attack c: -30%)[4] or Sensitivity(melee attack c: -30%, power modifier:chi -10%)[3]
Old 04-30-2017, 07:51 AM   #3
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Make a grappling attack for 1 control point in Technical Grappling, and maintain it at 1 CP unless you need more. Not enough to inflict a penalty on any human, but enough to allow any grappling-based technique, as well as gaining and spending CP down to 1 CP.
DouglasCole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 08:31 AM   #4
Vynticator

DC- Thanks, but we don't use Technical Grappling. My players are struggle to master the main combat rules without adding in another set of rules and another stat. I admire the work though, Mr Cole.

I'm not talking about a new Perk, Weby. The realistic Wing Chun style as described in Martial Arts lists the following Style Perks:

Perks: Off-Hand Weapon Training (Shortsword); Special
Setup (Karate Parry > Arm Lock); Technique Adaptation
(Counterattack); Unusual Training (Sensitivity, Only while
at least one hand is in physical contact with the opponent).

The close quarters 'en garde' hand position seems to be the explanation for Special Setup, Technique Adaptation and the Unusual Training in Sensitivity.
Old 04-30-2017, 08:46 AM   #5
weby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vynticator View Post
I'm not talking about a new Perk, Weby. The realistic Wing Chun style as described in Martial Arts lists the following Style Perks:
You should note that the skill Sensitivity is listed under cinematic skills in Wing Chun. So not really appropriate for realistic campaigns. But in the end it is the GM that decides what to include.
Old 04-30-2017, 08:52 AM   #6
Vynticator

Yes, as I understand it, each Style lists the realistic and non-reaslistic versions.

The point of Unusual Training is that it allows access to normally cinematic skills with a limitation which brings them into the realm of realism.

The Sensitivity skill listed under the Cinematic Skills part of Wing Chun would be unrestricted by the limitation of needing one hand in contact with the opponent.

I guess my question is really with the realistic version do you have to have at least a grapple for Sensitivity to work, or does it work with karate vs karate due to Wing Chun's close combat style?

Last edited by Vynticator; 04-30-2017 at 11:12 AM.
Old 04-30-2017, 12:32 PM   #7
Donny Brook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vynticator View Post
I guess my question is really with the realistic version do you have to have at least a grapple for Sensitivity to work, or does it work with karate vs karate due to Wing Chun's close combat style?
The condition provided in the Unusual Training is "at least one hand is in physical contact with the opponent". A grapple is contact, but contact can be established without a grapple.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 02:25 PM   #8
Vynticator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Brook View Post
The condition provided in the Unusual Training is "at least one hand is in physical contact with the opponent". A grapple is contact, but contact can be established without a grapple.
Intriguing - under what circumstances would you allow use of Sensitivity for a Wing Chun user, then? Any close combat?
Old 04-30-2017, 02:50 PM   #9
Curmudgeon

I'm hardly a rules master but I'd go with the analogy of the mage's touch from 3rd Edition as a guide. In both cases, you want to make physical contact with someone who doesn't want to be in contact with you. Establishing a touch was done by striking the other person with any hand attack. Your opponent could suffer the usual damage from such a strike, but doing any damage was optional.

By that analogy, any hand strike with karate would do to establish contact, with the option of not doing damage if you don't want to. Since you want to remain in contact until your next turn rather than get in and out, I'd call it either a quick contest of karate vs. karate or allow a successful defense to prevent contact, but not both.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 04:10 PM   #10
Vynticator

Curmudgeon - tbh, that doesn't seem much more favourable than simply grappling. If you grapple, they are at -4 to DX. big advantage.