Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-29-2017, 06:37 AM   #1
Kallatari

Default [Divine Favor] Consecrate Ground Permanent Duration

In Divine Favors, the Consecrate Ground miracle is built with the Extended Duration, Permanent +150% enhancement instead of a +300% version.

From my understanding, Extended Duration as a +150% enhancement, this means that the "effect" is still in play and that there are means of countering or neutralizing it or otherwise ending the effect through specific supernatural (or unusual mundane) means. A +300% enhancement means the effect in instantaneous, changing the world in a permanent fashion in which there is no way to turn it back other... but normal environmental factors apply.

E.g. If I had a magical power to make ice, a +150% would mean that you could use a "Dispel Magical Ice" to get rid of it... but the ice would also melt through normal mundane heat. With the +300%, "Dispel Magical Ice" wouldn't work because I created normal ice... but normal heat would still eventually melt it.

Going back to Consecrate Ground, I could see that a +150% version would mean that you could use a theoretical "dispel consecrate" while it was in effect, but in addition the level of worship in the area will continue to modify or maintain the sanctity as appropriate. For a +300% version, it's a sudden jump in sanctity, but from there, it continues to be modified naturally by the level of worship in the area.

The reason I'm raising this is because I think this distinction becomes a bit more important in the case of Consecrate Ground because of how Divine Favor works. Since the Divine Favor framework uses Alternate Abilities, when a priest changes to another miracle, any previous effect immediately end and the divine power goes to the new effect. My question is, as a +150% effect, would that not mean that as soon as priest changed to a different prayer, the Consecrate Grounds prayer would end and return the area to the normal sanctity level? Since presumably the purpose of Consecrate Grounds is to get a bonus in using other prayers, that kind of defeats the purpose. Therefore, should it not be a +300% version of Extended Duration to make it useful?

Or am I completely misinterpreting the Extended Duration Permanent rules for +150% and +300%?
Kallatari is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
extended duration