Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-16-2012, 07:20 PM   #121
BaHalus

Default Re: See Secrets spell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saabre View Post
It's a lot more than half the spells. It's more like 90% of the spells listed with Permanent duration should have been instantaneous.
There is an errata about this somewhere? Magic is being translated to Portuguese in this exact moment and would be cool if this kind of error could be corrected before publication.
BaHalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:31 PM   #122
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaHalus View Post
There is an errata about this somewhere?
Not that I know of.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:35 PM   #123
BrockNicholson

Were I GM'ing, I would not call covering a safe you don't use with paneling a Secret. Sure the intent of putting up the paneling was to conceal the object, but not for the purpose of preventing people from knowing about it. If someone came to your house and said, "Hey what's with that paneling?" you'd probably tell them the story about the crazy unopenable safe.

However, if you tuck a gun into a hollowed out book and put it on a shelf, I'd say that book is a secret.
BrockNicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:30 AM   #124
b-dog

Here is how I use See Secrets in DF: I say there are modifiers to the spell reflecting how well the secret door, trap door, etc. is made. If it was just normally made then there would be no modifier but if it was made by a skilled dwarf, dark elf or professional trap maker then there would be two modifiers. The first reduces the spell skill ability while the second allows the caster to know there is a secret but not exactly where only that there is a secret in a particular area.

Here is an example: A Wizard PC has See Secrets skill-17 and a secret door was built with such skill that it has -5/-10 modifier to detect. Here is what happens when the Wizard rolls the dice to use See Secrets:

Roll of 3 to 7 means that the Wizard sees the secret door and knows exactly where it is. That is his skill-17 See Secrets spell with the -10 modifier.

Roll of 8 to 12 means that the Wizard knows there is some sort of secret in the dungeon room but not exactly where it is or what it is. The is the Wizards See Secrets skill-17 with the -5 modifier. The Wizard knows there is a secret somewhere in the room but he must do old school methods like push on walls and floors etc. This situation makes the Thief class much more useful because they are likely the ones that will do the searching.

Roll of 13 to 18. See Secrets detects nothing.
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:12 AM   #125
Not another shrubbery

Default [OT] Duration class of spells

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saabre View Post
It's a lot more than half the spells. It's more like 90% of the spells listed with Permanent duration should have been instantaneous.
Hmm... I'm slowly working through Anthony's list in his thread (somewhat less than halfway done). We'll see, but it seems like the number of changes I would make is less drastic.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:17 PM   #126
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaHalus View Post
There is an errata about this somewhere? Magic is being translated to Portuguese in this exact moment and would be cool if this kind of error could be corrected before publication.
It's been about 15 months since the last GURPS errata was posted and even then it was about two years behind.

The Campaigns of William Stoddard
jeff_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote