Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-30-2011, 01:29 AM   #1
nik1979

Default GURPS Spreadsheet Collaborations, Spreadsheet wishlist?

Since spreadsheets are such a wonderful thing, I was wondering if there were any open collaboration projects with regards to GURPS GM tools (w/ Google Docs, Live Documents, Zoho Docs and other Same such)?

Anyone have a wishlist for spreadsheet automation regarding some GURPS GM tools or generally useful GM tools?
MIB#2428
nik1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 02:04 AM   #2
Daeglan

Default Re: GURPS Spreadsheet Collaborations, Spreadsheet wishlist?

What I really want is a tool where I can enter range to target, size of target, skill level of the attacker, number of shots being taken and rcl of the weapon, what kind of cover the target has. a place to put in what the attacking character rolled and and what the defenders dodge roll was if any and have it out put number of rounds that hit. maybe have it auto calculate hit locations

Make it easy to clone the tabs so you can set up pcs in advance and enemies in a second windows in advance.
Daeglan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 02:15 AM   #3
nik1979

I think that can be done, one sheet per group. The sheet gives a range/list of positions, degrees of cover, and input sources for weapons stats, current movement, and relevant character stats.

Using the group access to the same spreadsheet players or the GM's aid can update PC positions and situations. Although constantly updating that every 1 second turn might slow.
MIB#2428
Old 08-30-2011, 02:31 AM   #4
Refplace

Do it in a database so you can store the values of your characters and shortcut the whole thing.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 08:24 AM   #5
ClayDowling

Actually sounds like a good extension of a couple of existing calculator programs. Might consider that for my own calculator.

http://www.obrienscafe.com/gurps-combat-calculator.html
Old 08-30-2011, 12:34 PM   #6
TheSkywise

Thats kinda funny. I have an excel file with dozens of tabs. It has a damage tab, for injury tolerance that i use every game night, one tab acts like the gm control sheet, one tab keeps track of gamenight dates, attendence, cps earned, another tab has explosions table i made (frag table included), a table for running/jumping (broad and standing), plus several campaign specific tabs, etc.

I've been using it for years as i run my gurps campaigns. However, it does not calculate range and target modifiers (MapTools does that for us).

Frankly, i use it every gamenight. I would be more than willing to share, and since its custom tables i built, without any actual gurps content besides formulas, i dont think it would be a problem with SJ Games. Let me review the online policy...
TheSkywise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 01:49 PM   #7
Daeglan

Oh and be able to set the hit location and the DR of that location and enter the damage rolled.

That way at the beginning of the turn you set range to target and size of target. the skill level of the attacker the number of rounds being fired.
once the perameters are set you enter die rolls in the approprate spots and it would output number of rounds that hit, the hit location handle DR correctly then multiply damage as appropriate for the hit location and out put what the damage is.
you could have roll buttons next to the slots for entering die rolls if you wanted the computer to roll for you.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:14 PM   #8
nik1979

my spreadsheet wishlist

ISW ship creation and Ship combat tools
Starport creation toolkit
Vehicle Creation Toolkit taken from Ground forces' Armor creation toolkit.
Also include the Trade and System Creation Tools.
Maybe Convert the Old Classic Traveller Random Character Creation for GURPS and then a spreadsheet to quickly generate characters.

Manor, Household, Village Creations (Ala Harn, very useful any GURPS GM)
Setting Generation Tools, expanding on the above allowing for Towns, Cities, Fiefs, Counties, Baronies, etc. (linked to a World Map Generator).
Harn Character creation with straight to GURPS conversion.*

enough tool kits to detail a setting very easily and prep for a game with bringing the crunching down to a minimum.

*I prefer this method cause it keeps my min-maxing in check, Generate first the random circumstance THEN min/max for an advantage.
MIB#2428
Old 08-31-2011, 11:04 AM   #9
mook

I've had a Combat Spreadsheet online for a few years now. It's a bit on the "prototype"-side, mostly because I'm not an Excel guru and simply researched and self-taught myself as things came up that I wanted it to do.

I suspect it could really benefit from someone who knew what they were doing, Excel-wise.
mook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 11:08 AM   #10
Daeglan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mook View Post
I've had a Combat Spreadsheet online for a few years now. It's a bit on the "prototype"-side, mostly because I'm not an Excel guru and simply researched and self-taught myself as things came up that I wanted it to do.

I suspect it could really benefit from someone who knew what they were doing, Excel-wise.
Yeah it is a good start. but it ends up taking longer to use.

It really needs to be a table where you go down the list setting the variables

Tags
gm tools, spreadsheet