Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-19-2010, 12:38 PM   #1
Steven Marsh

Default Call for Playtesters: GURPS Social Engineering

Call for Playtesters: GURPS Social Engineering

Social interaction is an essential element in roleplaying games. Adding relationships and dialogue to tactical wargames is what created roleplaying! GURPS has always included rules for social standing and character interaction. Now, players and GMs looking for more detail will have a place to find it.

GURPS Social Engineering expands the basic rules on Status, reactions, Influence rolls, and many other topics, as GURPS Martial Arts expanded the combat rules. It offers new options for defining social backgrounds; portraying adventurers' dealings with other characters, organizations, and communities and societies; and managing the transition from negotiation to combat and back. This is a complete, detailed toolkit for defining the texture of adventurers' lives and alliances, playing a "face" character, or running an entire campaign about politics or personal relationships.

Because this is a very detailed body of new rules, it needs a comprehensive playtest. Preference will be given to playtesters who have run campaigns with lots of character interaction and dialogue -- mysteries, capers, politics, and romance are examples of such themes. Knowledge of psychology, organizational dynamics, politics, and similar subjects will be helpful, especially if it has a practical focus. Some spaces will be reserved for people new to playtesting, to help develop the playtester pool.

The playtest is currently scheduled to run from December 3, 2010 to January 10, 2011.

Prospective playtesters should e-mail William H. Stoddard at clockpunk@mindspring.com with [playtest] in the subject. Include your preferred e-mail address for the closed playtest mailing list, your name as wish it to appear in the published supplement, your e23 login name, and a few words on why we should pick you: qualifications, experience, current gaming group(s), etc. Please submit in this format:

Quote:
johndoe@etheremail.com
Jonathan Doe
johndoegamer
I'm a GM with 10 years' experience, and have been running GURPS campaigns for seven years; I have playtest credit on three previous supplements. My campaigns often focus on capers or espionage, and I've run a lot of scenes of persuasion, manipulation, and assumed identities. I'm currently running a campaign set in Renaissance Florence, with elements of revived ancient sorcery and experimental "clockpunk" devices -- but also with intrigue and diplomacy.

Last edited by Steven Marsh; 11-22-2010 at 10:30 AM.
Steven Marsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 06:00 PM   #2
whswhs

Default Re: Call for Playtesters: GURPS Social Engineering

At this point (5 pm on Friday, November 19), I've heard from half a dozen people. Three have playtested other books of mine and/or established reputations in other ways; only one is completely new to me. That's actually about the ratios I was looking for, but there's still room for more. So if you're interested, by all means send in an application. Note in particular that it's my policy, as it generally is of Steve Jackson Games, to recruit at least a couple of people without previous experience; there's no better way to find out if someone's potentially a first-rate new playtester.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 01:43 AM   #3
tg_ambro

*Potentially dumb questions warning*

Is spending at least $50 on e23 in the last twelve months still a prerequisite? I've not spent as much as I'd like to in a while. I would like to participate, but I'm not sure if I'd be able to.

Check out my blog, Ambro's Brainwaves Pretend you have telepathy, read my thoughts!
tg_ambro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 01:59 AM   #4
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by tg_ambro View Post
*Potentially dumb questions warning*

Is spending at least $50 on e23 in the last twelve months still a prerequisite? I've not spent as much as I'd like to in a while. I would like to participate, but I'm not sure if I'd be able to.
Yeah says so here.

Quote:
A subscription to Pyramid will no longer be required to become part of the playtester pool. Instead, the playtester pool will be made up of registered e23 customers who have spent more than $50 in the past 12 months. Of course, a twelve-month subscription to Pyramid will put the buyer into the playtester pool – the twelve-month subscription is $70.
I also put in so I hope I get in as well. My game is at a perfect point where this would be a very useful supplement, they are caught between a load of bickering supernatural factions all of whom are trying to gain a upper hand. One of the PC's even has Gadgeteer (Social) as a trait...which is downright scary at this point since she is using it to try to convince one faction not to fight another while covertly aiding a third with her wealth. Its been a blast GM'ing it!

Ghostdancer

Ghostdancer

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 03:11 AM   #5
Apache
On Notice

*blinks*

So, the rumors are true.

They ARE doing GURPS Lying Bastards.

Hmmm.
Old 11-20-2010, 10:02 AM   #6
whswhs

I do want to confirm that the usual requirement for recent e23 purchases applies to this playtest. I'll be sending in a list of nominees first thing Monday with a request that their eligibility be verified.

Bill Stoddard
Old 11-20-2010, 12:44 PM   #7
Adina

Guess I'll be getting my christmas PDF bundle early this year.

Jeff
Adina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 01:11 PM   #8
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmurrell View Post
Guess I'll be getting my christmas PDF bundle early this year.
Do note that we already have more volunteers than I expect to have space for, and there are several days left before we close the gate. If it would distress you to buy from e23 and then not get picked . . . hold off. If you're on the short list, we won't just drop you without mentioning it.

On the other hand, if these are things you want to have anyway, go for it!

Bill Stoddard
Old 11-21-2010, 06:54 PM   #9
smurf
Banned

Goes to check his e23 library for recent purchases...
smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 12:24 PM   #10
mehrkat

Sigh. I guess I won't ever be in a playtest as I buy stuff slow. On the flip side Squee!!!! I'm really looking forward to this book.