Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-22-2005, 03:32 PM   #1
CraigR

Default Invasion: Yrth

I'm putting this in its own thread. Thought it could use some thought...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pesterfield
A smart mage works with technology instead of trying to suppress it.
A lesson the Yrth mages never learned.

Hmm. Now there's a Yrth campaign I'd like to play in: The old known nations fighting an interdimensional invasion from a parallel Yrth, in which the mages have spent the last couple thousand years magically enhancing tech instead of working to suppress it. They choose to invade the "standard" Yrth because to ease population pressures, and since the continent maps are the same they know where the resources are that they can plunder.
Planet Flipside
CraigR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 03:35 PM   #2
Spudzill

Default Re: Invasion: Yrth

Yeah that is cool. I would like to know Infinity's response. Even cooler if they were invaded by the Technomancer Soviets. Or perhaps the Reich-5 ss
Drooooool:)
Old 06-22-2005, 03:50 PM   #3
CraigR

I was actually thinking an invasion by another Yrth. One that didn't have the Mage's Tech-Suppression Conspiracy, but rather the Mage's Tech-Enhancement Coalition. Magically efficient tanks and guns, ammo that resist's reverse missile, high-altitude diffuse parabolic scrying to be able to look into No Mana Zones, which allows the invaders to know so many secrets they simply shouldn't know...
Planet Flipside
Old 06-22-2005, 03:52 PM   #4
Spudzill

To be honest I think you really want Technomancers world for all that. Plus they already have the worldbook for it. OTH it's your campaign and perhaps making a point of the weakness of the Curia's policy is what you're going for.
Old 06-22-2005, 03:58 PM   #5
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigR
Hmm. Now there's a Yrth campaign I'd like to play in: The old known nations fighting an interdimensional invasion from a parallel Yrth, in which the mages have spent the last couple thousand years magically enhancing tech instead of working to suppress it.
That probably also implies that the mages have an attitude towards magic which is more like engineering school, and less like a guild.

The net effect of this game would be much like the effects of a 'TL 7 world invades TL 3 world' -- the more advanced people Just Plain Win.
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 04:07 PM   #6
Spudzill

Actually instead of the Soviets from Technomancer I would make the invasion from Antarctica! That's right Yrth invaded by Killer Psychic Penguins! God I wish that had been my idea!
Old 06-22-2005, 04:13 PM   #7
LoneWolf23k

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigR
I was actually thinking an invasion by another Yrth. One that didn't have the Mage's Tech-Suppression Conspiracy, but rather the Mage's Tech-Enhancement Coalition. Magically efficient tanks and guns, ammo that resist's reverse missile, high-altitude diffuse parabolic scrying to be able to look into No Mana Zones, which allows the invaders to know so many secrets they simply shouldn't know...

Interesting idea, although I'd go with a more steamtech/magitech approach to their equipment. Instead of planes, they use fleets of airships. Instead of advanced rifles, they have magically modified arquebuses. Instead of tanks, they use Mechagolems (as seen in Magic Items 3)...

...For that matter, screw the invasion scenario, I just want that Alternate Yrth for my campaign setting! :)
LoneWolf23k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 04:17 PM   #8
Spudzill

On the alternate Yrth, what about Infinity and the whole quantum Sargasso thing? Will the Curia have a book about Homeline? An Alternate Homeline? Perhaps an opposite Yrth, where the banestom backfired to the point where there is no mana? And no visitors? Hmm... no kinda bland I'll guess I'll just have to work on it.
Old 06-22-2005, 04:21 PM   #9
CraigR

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolf23k
...For that matter, screw the invasion scenario, I just want that Alternate Yrth for my campaign setting! :)
I hear you! Now that I think on it, I didn't really want a war/invasion scenario. More along the lines of the Other Yrth moving in, in an "old British Empire" sense of the word: They think they're bringing civilization to the backward locals.

The Other Yrth could be the "default" world for the campaign, with these "fallen" Yrths as the establishment's dirty little secret.
Planet Flipside
Old 06-22-2005, 04:31 PM   #10
Spudzill

I dunno I think IMO another Yrth would be too much like the default Yrth. If I wanted the whole severe Culture shock Britain/India thing I'd go with a culture Almost completely alien to Yrth. Which brings me back to Technomancer. I giggle thinking about a Mickey D's showing up in Megalos or the invasion of, say Al-Wazif and the insugency against U.S. Technomagic troops. Wait, even better, to hell with even Technomancer, Let's make Yrth colonized by Gernsback, or the Lens Civilization. Especially if it's a physical invasion rather than a para-temporal one, Yrth could be Gernsbacks Venus or some distant planet in the outer reaches of Civilization and Eddore and Arisia are going to make it their new battlefield. Fun!

Tags
banestorm, infinite worlds