Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-16-2007, 09:16 PM   #11
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: [IW] Gettin' outta Yrth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassandra
Yes, but how?
Given that Infinity regularly travels to and from Yrth and in fact deemed it safe enough to establish a trading outpost there, it seems logical that they aren't particularily inconveinced by the Sargasso. I don't have IW with me, what exactly is the game effect of the Banestorm Sargasso on conveyors?
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 09:30 PM   #12
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding
Given that Infinity regularly travels to and from Yrth and in fact deemed it safe enough to establish a trading outpost there, it seems logical that they aren't particularily inconveinced by the Sargasso. I don't have IW with me, what exactly is the game effect of the Banestorm Sargasso on conveyors?
Apparently, neither conveyors nor worldjumpers can jump out of Yrth, although they can jump in just fine. The only way out is magic, a portal, or a Banestorm. The descrpition of the Infinity setup on Yrth implies that it's fairly long-term project, with people who're planning to stay for years.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 01:59 AM   #13
flyingwombat

Also, an I-Cop with world jumper took 14 months back via a magic raft. A second, better equipped, team was sent and they came back after 5 months. (from the Yrth description in IW)

Surely, the White Star post in Tredroy might know of a way, but it will be hard. A campaign in itself. A... <pause> a Quest.
flyingwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 03:21 AM   #14
Cassandra

Quote:
Originally Posted by tratclif
Escape from Yrth can be hell. (...) Yrth has demons, so there must be at least a local hell in Yrth's pocket universe, which should lead by devious means to the true Abyss at the borders of Briah.
Ooh, oh, oh, ho, ho! I like that! ;) A very good idea, it would make the campaign *very* interesting indeed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwombat
Surely, the White Star post in Tredroy might know of a way, but it will be hard. A campaign in itself. A... <pause> a Quest.
Yep, and that's exactly the reason I'm planning this. Sounds like a fun way to introduce the players to the Infinite World theme, using a somewhat familiar fantasy background, and still keep their current characters, paratroopers from WWII. And that Hell idea will make it just delicious... I'll be able to combine well-trained soldiers (even if they lose their guns) with dark high fantasy with world-hopping. And that's just the start...

*wanders off planning the campaign outline, drooling excessively*
Old 03-17-2007, 04:07 AM   #15
DrTemp

From IW page 150: "Ted Gruberman, a world-jumping Patrolman, discovered Yrth on a blind hop in 2017, and it took him 14 months to find a magical raft that could sail to another world he could actually leave."

So, there are some magical artifacts that do allow this. I imagine they could be still using that very raft.

"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
(Friedrich Schiller, "Die Jungfrau von Orleans")

Magic 4e Caveats
DrTemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 04:13 AM   #16
Cassandra

Hmm, thinking about this more, I realized I still need more ideas. The Escape Through Hell idea is great for the characters, but I don't think the Infinity agents are planning going through there. At least that would've been mentioned in IW. I'm thinking, maybe the normal route Infinity was planning on using is unavailable at the momemt (some kinda once, twice in a year thing maybe), or broken, or stolen, and that's why the PCs will have to resort to going to Hell. But I still need to how exactly the Infinity agents were planning on getting home. I find this rather a puzzle, since the answer has to be both obvious and mysterious.

If the way to another world is too easy, the wizards, the dark elves, or whoknowswhat would have found it already, and would probably be using it, or at the very least guarding it closely.

If the way to another world is a mysterious secret, how did the first agent find it so soon? 14 months isn't that long, considering you have a whole new strange world to explore, filled with magic, elves, monsters and dragons. Either the agent got incredibly lucky, or was unbelievably resourceful.

And now that someone has found a way out of Yrth, and outtimers have already used it, it would have most likely attracted attention. The black elves especially would be keen on getting their hands on it, so they could study it and use it to throw everyone unwanted out of Yrth.

Any thoughts? I'm thinking the Black Forest might have something to do with it. Or the Ring Islands? The the djinns?
Old 03-17-2007, 04:16 AM   #17
Cassandra

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTemp
From IW page 150: "Ted Gruberman, a world-jumping Patrolman, discovered Yrth on a blind hop in 2017, and it took him 14 months to find a magical raft that could sail to another world he could actually leave."

So, there are some magical artifacts that do allow this. I imagine they could be still using that very raft.
Great, thanks, I somehow missed that. I would still doubt that he could've stolen such an artifact, maybe borrowed it, or hitched a ride on it. I'll have to think about this some more.
Old 03-17-2007, 04:52 AM   #18
Lord Carnifex

Quote:
If the way to another world is a mysterious secret, how did the first agent find it so soon? 14 months isn't that long, considering you have a whole new strange world to explore, filled with magic, elves, monsters and dragons. Either the agent got incredibly lucky, or was unbelievably resourceful.
How about the Maelstrom? Maybe there's a natural gate in the center or randomly blown about. Ships get lost all the time down there... maybe some go to the bottom, while others go elsewhere. There's even the possibility that the raft itself wasn't magical, but that Infinity tells people it was to cover the fact that it takes a really difficult trip to the heart of the Maelstrom to truly get out.
Lord Carnifex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 10:22 AM   #19
Pomphis

Quote:
But I still need to how exactly the Infinity agents were planning on getting home. I find this rather a puzzle, since the answer has to be both obvious and mysterious.
a) The previously mentioned magical raft. I assume they brought it back to Yrth.
b) If the jumper had a Dimension Travel power, he may well have got a corresponding Detect ability as well.
He may have noticed the magical raft right away, it just took 14 months to get to it. Or he noticed it when he came within a 100 miles or so.
Pomphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 08:33 PM   #20
capnq

Quote:
There's a White Star trading house and a secret base for Infinity agents in Tredroy. What I'm asking is, how are the Infinity agents planning on getting back to Homeline?
You haven't asked about this part, but you also need to think about where on Yrth they're going to arrive, and how they're going to get to Tredroy. If I were GMing this scenario, I'd probably make their arrival in Tredroy the midpoint of the story arc.

When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained. -- Mark Twain
capnq is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
banestorm, infinite worlds