Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-03-2007, 09:05 AM   #1
mcross

Default Infinite Worlds

OK, maybe this is a dumb question, but I've been reviewing the info on Quantum levels. I can't find where the issue of for example, a native of Quantum 5 going to Quantum 7 and from there accessing Quantum 8 which would normally be inaccessable. Does anyone have any insight? Thanks.
mcross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 09:48 AM   #2
Harald B

Default Re: Infinite Worlds

If I understand things correctly, the standard way of going from one quantum to another requires a quantum projector, which has a maximum reach of 2 quanta and can only operate from Homeline (Q5) or Centrum (Q8). To get from Q5 to Q8 would hence require assistance from within both Homeline and Centrum, whose governments are very much opposed to eachother.
Harald B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 12:19 PM   #3
tratclif

Most parachronic conveyors are subquantum conveyors, limited only to one quantum. To go to another quantum you need conveyor with one-quantum or two-quantum capability (proportionately more expensive) and a quantum projector (a base station that only works on Homeline or Centrum). It's possible to get from Q5 to Q8 on a conveyor with the cooperation of Centrum.

Other methods of parachronic travel don't necessarily have that limit though. World-jumping, magical gates, quantum nexi may let you make that jump.
tratclif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 01:13 PM   #4
dynaman

Can't remember where I read it, but Homeline had a single machine that could cross quanta without starting at Homeline. It must have been the rumors section.
dynaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 01:26 PM   #5
elShoggotho

I like the parachronic penetrator portals of The Probability Broach, which can penetrate to any world whose exact quantum level is known or guessed by the operators. Don't enter a blue circle in mid-air, it's almost certainly a portal into a right-wing anarchist Galactic Confederacy.
elShoggotho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 01:36 PM   #6
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by tratclif
Most parachronic conveyors are subquantum conveyors, limited only to one quantum. To go to another quantum you need conveyor with one-quantum or two-quantum capability (proportionately more expensive) and a quantum projector (a base station that only works on Homeline or Centrum).
So is the limitation here technical (nobody knows how to build appropriate projectors anywhere off of Homeline and Centrum) or, as it were, administrative (the know-how is there, but it's too expensive or politically sensitive to attempt it)?

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 01:51 PM   #7
tratclif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turhan's Bey Company
So is the limitation here technical (nobody knows how to build appropriate projectors anywhere off of Homeline and Centrum) or, as it were, administrative (the know-how is there, but it's too expensive or politically sensitive to attempt it)?
The real reason is that Steve Jackson and John M. Ford said so in GURPS Time Travel.

Ken Hite and others have written parachronic baffflegab over the years, and in canon neither Homeline nor Centrum completely understand the fundamentals of parachronics.

The current working theory is based on the observation that Homeline and Centrum are at the exact same Local Present down to the second, and all other parallels are at least a few seconds behind -- with the one exception of Shikaku-Mon.

Homeline would like to experiment with a projector on Shikaku-Mon, but they're terrified of the spy tech available on that cyberpunk world.
tratclif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 10:28 PM   #8
eddie

Location: Ayden, North Carolina, USA, North America, planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way, the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynaman
Can't remember where I read it, but Homeline had a single machine that could cross quanta without starting at Homeline. It must have been the rumors section.
Repeat after me, this machine DOES NOT exist, it has NEVER existed, it IS NOT called Alea, a brief write up about it CAN NOT be found at the bottom of pg 30 of the Infinite Worlds book. Move along people, nothing to see here.

Quote:
I've always been under the impression (don't know if I actually read it in TT, or just assumed it, DHTBWM) that Infinity tried to set up projectors on other worlds but were never able to get them to work.

- Eddie
eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 12:32 AM   #9
David Johnston

Quote:
As I understand it, on most lines a Centrum or Homeline projector simply will not work. It's superscience and just as Gernsbackian broadcast energy will not work for Homeline, Reich 4 can't build a projector that works on their principles. However there is the possibility that, once made aware of Homeline or Centrum, that an independant Earth might develop some alternative means for travelling there and threatening them. This might be magic as in the case of Merlin, where an alerted American government has started sending out spies via Gate spells, or it simply be a different flavour of superscience. For example a Homeline projector won't work on IST-1, but the world of the International Superteams could almost certainly build something that would do the trick. Someday Homeline may have to deal with some comic book supervillain who has decided that worlds without superheroes are a bit easier to conquer.

Both sides are leery of the possibility of adding another player to the war, especially one in "range" to make a direct attack on them.

Last edited by David Johnston; 01-04-2007 at 12:37 AM.
David Johnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 10:02 AM   #10
Pstrych9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tratclif
The real reason is that Steve Jackson and John M. Ford said so in GURPS Time Travel.

Ken Hite and others have written parachronic baffflegab over the years, and in canon neither Homeline nor Centrum completely understand the fundamentals of parachronics.
Right. The point is that that limitation keeps the whole setting in the alternate history genre rather than a straightforward war setting, which would surely be the case if it was any easier to reach each other's quantums.

So knowing that you want to have it that way, all that's left is to rationalise a reason for it to be what happens to make for the better game.
Pstrych9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
infinite worlds