Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-21-2006, 08:48 AM   #1
Ed the Coastie

Default [Infinite Worlds] Atlantis Rising

Here's an odd question that I came up with last night while I was working on an alternate Technomancer-style world for one of my GURPS campaigns...

Based upon the reappearance of the island of Atlantis in the early 1940s (instead of the 1930s as depicted among the Alternate Atlantises in one of Ken Hite's Suppressed Transmission columns)...what happens to the Gulf Stream? Would it deflect enough to give Greenland (and perhaps Iceland) a more hospitable climate? Or is there some other sort of manaclysmic handwavium that I could use? I've already decided that Atlantis' reappearance gave rise to a "manaclysm" that effectivly froze technological development at the WWII level and actually has been causing a gradual regression...by the mid-1980's (the current time of this world), most military units have a "vril-shaper" or two at the company level.
Old 12-21-2006, 03:46 PM   #2
JoelSammallahti

Default Re: [Infinite Worlds] Atlantis Rising

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed the Coastie
Based upon the reappearance of the island of Atlantis in the early 1940s (instead of the 1930s as depicted among the Alternate Atlantises in one of Ken Hite's Suppressed Transmission columns)...what happens to the Gulf Stream? Would it deflect enough to give Greenland (and perhaps Iceland) a more hospitable climate?
Well, if the Gulf Stream melted the ice in Greenland, that would raise sea levels quite noticeably. It would be quite funny for the rise of Atlantis to sink every coastal city in the world...
JoelSammallahti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 05:07 PM   #3
tratclif

First question: where does Atlantis rise at? If Atlantis replaces the Sargasso Sea or the Canaries, it doesn't affect the Gulf Stream directly. If it replaces the Bahamas, that's more of a problem. If the 1943 map at Wikipedia's article on the Gulf Stream is an accurate guide, most of the strength of the current hugs the coast between Florida and the Bahamas.
tratclif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 10:18 PM   #4
DrTemp

Quote:
Originally Posted by tratclif
[...] most of the strength of the current hugs the coast between Florida and the Bahamas.
Except, maybe, for the small portion that makes Europe a good place to live in. :->

(Think about it, Hamburg is at about the lattitude of Labrador, Canada...)

"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
(Friedrich Schiller, "Die Jungfrau von Orleans")

Magic 4e Caveats
DrTemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 12:43 AM   #5
Ed the Coastie

Well, judging from the Wikipedia map, I would need to put Atlantis at about 40N and 40W to deflect the Gulf Stream up towards Greenland. Unfortunately, this not only results in rising sea levels but also plunging much of Europe into a deep freeze.

I guess I'm stuck with some sort of psuedo-scientific technomagical handwavium, making this one of those Weird parallels that just really can't be explained.
Old 12-22-2006, 09:41 AM   #6
tratclif

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTemp
Except, maybe, for the small portion that makes Europe a good place to live in. :->

(Think about it, Hamburg is at about the lattitude of Labrador, Canada...)
I meant "strength" in the sense of volume and speed of water flow -- the current spreads and slows after it leaves the North American coast, though it still contains a huge amount of heat.
tratclif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 05:23 PM   #7
combatmedic
Banned

Why not go ahead and freeze most of Europe? Might be fun.
combatmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 07:54 PM   #8
David Johnston

Don't melt all of Greenland. That's too much water and besides, it's not all that likely that the Gulf Stream would keep that much heat after travelling that far north. Just melt the lower part of it. That should be enough to give you Hyperborea. You also pretty much have to assume if Atlantis is any significant size that in rising it must create new deep cavities in the ocean floor.
David Johnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 08:16 PM   #9
Kyle Aaron
MIB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed the Coastie
I guess I'm stuck with some sort of psuedo-scientific technomagical handwavium, making this one of those Weird parallels that just really can't be explained.
You're already having an entire continent rise up in the middle of the Atlantic, presumably with intact cities and people, not mentioning tsunamis wiping out every Atlantic coastal city, and huge earthquakes, and... The Gulf Stream's the least of your psuedo-scientific technomagical handwavium needs :D

Tags
infinite worlds