Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-21-2004, 02:43 PM   #41
thona
Banned

Default Re: Infinite Worlds Wiki?

In case you run into problems, I would be willing to host this, too.

Windows environment, excellent uptime, access to everything there you may want - ASP.NET, SQL Server, as much HD space as needed - measured not in Mb, but Gb. FlexWiki or another .NET based wiki can be installed in a day. Oh, and I own the server.
thona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 11:18 PM   #42
finn

I'm very sorry for being so late. I'm been busy, lasy and technically challenged. I think I can work it out in a week, but can't be certain.

Since thona seems to have a better setup and technical knowledge, I think it would be best if thona sets up the Wiki.
finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 11:51 PM   #43
lordabdul

The only problem is that there are less people skilled in .NET web languages than in PHP, Python and other older and more spread ones. So thona, I hope you'll have some time to fix the technical problems! (although it will be a good opportunity for me to learn asp.net and be able to help from time to time).
The other thing is that we'll have less choices for the wiki engine, but I've seen flexwiki and it looks quite good.
lordabdul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 11:56 PM   #44
thona
Banned

Then the question is - what Wiki do we take?

Look at: http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?WikiEngines, under "CsharpLanguage". Personally I would go with anything taking SQL Server as datastore (I do NOT trust the file system, especially if volume goes up). Sadly. this is not really an option.

The most highly praised system seems to be FlexWiki (by Microsoft - and open source. Yes, it happens). Others seem to like it, too. So, unless someone says something we go for it.

I will set something up. Anyone having a domain name we could use, or an idea, so that I can get one? Sadly, .wiki ist not an official top level domain (InfiniteWorld.Wiki would be cool). So, I am taking ideas for domain names for now. Oh, and btw - before submitting an idea, please check with WHOIS (http://www.whois.net/) - most good names are already taken. It will un unter infiniteworldwiki.thona-hosting.com for now, until we geta nice domain name validated.

I am fixing up one of my servers today (yes, one of - I have a small cluster out there, providing hosting for about 130 domains for customers right now). In case support is needed with ASP.NET - I am glad to help out ID (and this is a BIG IF) the langauge in question is C#. My Visual Basic days are over for a long time.

Last edited by thona; 11-21-2004 at 11:58 PM.
Old 11-22-2004, 01:04 AM   #45
thona
Banned

A Wiki is born.

http://infiniteworldswiki.thona-consulting.com/

Up and runnning. Waiting for suggestions for the final domain, otherwise I will just order infiniteworldswiki.net.

Anyone willing to take upoin him to give us a LOOK that is not - well - Flexwiki :-) I can provide ftp access.
Old 11-22-2004, 01:17 AM   #46
Jürgen Hubert

That's great! Unless it is unstable, I will try to enter a world entry tomorrow evening...
Old 11-22-2004, 01:33 AM   #47
pheonix1649

I was going to suggest a free hosting site that I found:
http://www.xwiki.com/xwiki/bin/view/...me?language=en

However you guys have beat me to it...

I will watch with interest
Old 11-22-2004, 01:57 AM   #48
thona
Banned

Quote:
That's great! Unless it is unstable,
Well, tatooine (the server) hat it's share of problems. But ever since we actually replaced the RAM in there, things just work :-) There are about 60 web servicers active on it right now. My main issue now is that most cycle too often, thanks to our CMS using too much ram for certain operations (at the moment). This changes soon, though, and should not influence an independant asp.net instance.

Flexwiki itself - no idea. I hope it is stable. It sounds nice, feature-wise.

As a sidenote - I would ask for two things to be done by interested third parties.

First, someone could please set up some basic homepage and menu structure? Just SOMETHING so that potential submitters and editors have some starting point.

And second, as I said: we need a CSS redoing the design. I would actually like a slot on the top fora standard banner (468x60) when the design is done. No, not for commercial use - but a nice banner exchange will make the wiki more public.

Doman name ideas anyone?

Last edited by thona; 11-22-2004 at 02:19 AM.
Old 11-22-2004, 03:57 AM   #49
thona
Banned

infiniteworldswiki.net and gurpswiki.net were just issued registration to my name :-) Once they are up I will have them routed to the name.

Oh, Steve - if you read this. Feel free to contact me if you do not want me to use the domains. I will gladly transfer them over when you cover the costs.
Old 11-22-2004, 04:41 AM   #50
Jürgen Hubert

Quote:
Originally Posted by thona
Oh, Steve - if you read this. Feel free to contact me if you do not want me to use the domains. I will gladly transfer them over when you cover the costs.
Huh? What does this Wiki cost you?

Tags
infinite worlds